Top 10 Bowl Games

Cujo

Lost Limey got me started on this... but anyways, I think the BCS messed up by mixing the Fiesta Bowl into the top four BCS games along with with the Rose, Sugar, and Orange. I think the Cotton is more suited for the BCS, but that's just my opinion.

Anyways, here's my top 10 based on the game's fame, prestige and tradition.

1. Rose

2. Orange

3. Sugar

4. Cotton

5. Capital One (Should be Citrus :mad: )

6. Fiesta

7. Gator

8. Outback (I really hate these corporate bowl names)

9. Holiday

10. Peach

6uXNWAo.png

This is probably about right.

I love how low you have the Fiesta Bowl. There is not enough history for it to be the #1 bowl (like it is to most people).

I also agree with you Curty that the corporate names stink. I can live with "Capital One Citrus Bowl" because that's just the way it is, but when they don't even have a name outside of the sponsor, I cannot stand it. They lose all of their history to most fans who don't even remember "the Hall of Fame Bowl" or "the Copper Bowl."

Give us a name, along with the sponsor.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1. Rose

2. Orange

3. Sugar

4. Fiesta-Its a BCS so it has to be Top 4 but Cotton in a just world would be ahaead of it

5. Cotton

6. Gator

7. Peach

8. Capital One should still be Citrus I agree

9. Holiday

10. Sun

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Give us a name, along with the sponsor.

Word.

But only if you HAVE to call it a sponsor name, too.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

Β 

ΓΔΒ!

Β 

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

1. Rose

2. Orange

3. Sugar

4. Fiesta-Its a BCS so it has to be Top 4 but Cotton in a just world would be ahaead of it

5. Cotton

6. Gator

7. Peach

8. Capital One should still be Citrus I agree

9. Holiday

10. Sun

I have to agree with Tank. The Cotton Bowl kind of let itself, ahem, shrink in recent years, although it does have a storied history. And we forget that the Sun Bowl has been around for ages.

Occasionally there's a bowl that's got a good/funny sponsor, such as the Poulan Weed Eater Independence Bowl. That always used to crack me up.

I miss the "Florida Citrus Bowl" and the sweet bubble font they had in the endzones. I miss the "Copper Bowl" and "Hall of Fame Bowl" too. It's a shame but inevitable that corporations took over these games.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Β 

My Top Ten...

1) Rose Bowl - the oldest, the biggest, truly the granddaddy of 'em all.

2) Orange Bowl - has raised its profile significantly over the past 25 years or so.

3) Fiesta Bowl - doesn't have the tradition of the others, true, but in just 35 years has propelled itself into one of the season's richest bowl payouts - which is all that matters to participating schools.

4) Sugar Bowl - was #2 prior to moving into the Superdome, but outside of the SEC and the national title game rotation, this game doesn't have as much pull in the old days.

5) Cotton Bowl - was neck-and-neck with the Orange Bowl, but its status has been eclipsed by the Fiesta Bowl, and being left out of the BCS rotation nearly killed the game altogether.

6) Tangerine Bowl (sorry, I'm so old its not even the Citrus Bowl to me).

7) Hall of Fame Bowl (sorry, I don't shill for steak house chains, either).

8) Peach Bowl

9) Gator Bowl/Liberty Bowl (basically interchangeable)

10) Sun Bowl

And ones I think need to be ditched, or at minimum relocated...

1) Humanitarian Bowl - Boise can't support a college bowl game, simple as that.

2) Fort Worth Bowl - Fort Worth's in the same shape as Boise; hard-pressed to fill their stadium without a local draw.

3) New Tangerine Bowl - That area already has a ton of bowl games. Spread the wealth a little.

4) San Francisco Bowl - Who the hell wants to play in northern California in December?

5) Mobile Alabama Bowl - When I think of somewhere I want to go for a football game, Mobile immediately springs to mind, right?

6) Motor City Bowl - Same as Mobile, just substitute "Detroit" for "Mobile."

7) Independence Bowl - Put Shreveport in the Mobile/Detroit category.

8) Charlotte Bowl - They initially named the game after a tire company, but now they've moved up to mufflers. Oh, boy!

nav-logo.png

1) Rose Bowl

2) Sugar Bowl

3) Orange Bowl

4) Fiesta Bowl

5) Peach Bowl

6) Holiday Bowl (It's consistently the most exciting bowl of the year)

7) Cotton Bowl

8) Gator Bowl

9) Capitol One Bowl or w/e the hell they call it now.

10) Outback Bowl

Β 

Β 

Lost Limey got me started on this... but anyways, I think the BCS messed up by mixing the Fiesta Bowl into the top four BCS games along with with the Rose, Sugar, and Orange. I think the Cotton is more suited for the BCS, but that's just my opinion.

well when the Fiesta Bowl is in a great location and when they shill out alot of money to become a premeire bowl, I think they made a great choice

3) Fiesta Bowl - doesn't have the tradition of the others, true, but in just 35 years has propelled itself into one of the season's richest bowl payouts - which is all that matters to participating schools.

The only reason is has one of the richest payouts is because the game somehow found it's way into the BCS.

I blame location.

6uXNWAo.png

The only reason is has one of the richest payouts is because the game somehow found it's way into the BCS.

I blame location.

I think it's more the Fiesta Bowl committee being on the ball, pushing that bowl game more and more since it moved from Christmas Day to New Year's Day. That includes getting a viable and reliable sponsor.

Meanwhile, the Cotton Bowl committee seems to have been lax.

You are what you make yourself.

Archived