Advice, Please.

mediocreguy

Last summer, as a gift, I was given an "Authentic" Champ Bailey Broncos Alternate jersey. I am very pleased with my first 'real' jersey (other than it's heavy! but in a good way). However, when the gift-giver revealed that she bought it for 80 bucks on ebay, about every alarm in my head went off at once.

I have tried looking at it to find some sort of innaccuracy to prove that it's some sort of bootleg, or knockoff. I suppose it could be stolen goods, maybe. Who knows. It really bugs me though and I was hoping that some eagle-eyed experts at this sort of thing could help me. I have taken some pics in hopes that someone can find what I may have missed. Theyr'e small...I didn't want to clog up the board. If people want larger or if it'll help, let me know :)

Possible inaccuracies:

1.) Not sure, but the back numbers are about an inch to an inch and a half bigger than the front numbers. I've had replicas in the past do this, and it always aggrivates me. My new DJ Williams one has small numbers on BOTH front and back.. it's very very annoying. This is my leading theory. I took a picture to sort of compare them, it's below.

2) The NFL Equipment shield is very very slightly off center. Though it could be my imagination. Maybe I'm trying too hard.

3) The word "Broncos" seems too small (perhaps) and perhaps a wee bit off center too. Again, a reach.

Facts about the jersey: It came in a sealed bag with all tags. The material seems good, the stretch fabric is in the places you'd expect, under the arms, the stripes, and the collar. all numbers are stitched double (blue and white layers). Bailey's name is spelled right. (haha)

Any help would be most appreciated. I love the jersey, It just bugs me that it was so cheap, is all.

jersey1.jpg

jersey2.jpg

jersey3.jpg

jersey4.jpg

Sorry for the blur on the lens :P

There are deals out there. As long as you know what you're looking for, you can avoid getting ripped off. I got an authentic black Vick jersey for about $30. I was bidding on one, lost the bid, but the seller had an extra he was trying to get rid of, and had me make an offer. I lowballed, he accepted. I examined it very carefully, and it's the real deal. I picked up a white Brady authentic for $45 a couple of days ago. I had several pics emailed to me, and it, too is legit. Your Bailey jersey looks great. Can't complain. It's the people who don't know the difference, and get an EQT jersey thinking it's "authentic" because the seller says so, or has a gift bought for them by someone who doesn't know any better from a "REAL_DEAL_SALES" type of dude that irks me.

spikes.jpg

If you're not paying full price for it, then I'd duy it. Then again, its has my lucky number and favorite colour, so I'm alittle biased...

80 dollars isn't bad though, if it was lower, then you'd have a real reason to worry. But I think whomever gave you this just found a bargan

Ok, I hope this helps:

I have about 50 authentic jerseys that I have purchased from NFL.com and not one of them were made in China. I noticed that the jersey's tag says it is made in China, as far as I know Reebok authentic jerseys are made either in El Salvador or in Korea. If anyone can shed some light on this please do so.

Another thing to look for is how the NFL Equip. patch is attached to the jersey, if you can lift it from the edges it is probably fake. I purchased a jersey from a seller on ebay and that was the case, all the jerseys that I have from NFL shop have the patch sealed on and you can not lift it or even see the stiching from the back of the jersey or on the front, I think it was super glued on because I can not see any stiching.

Check the numbers and the letters, are they made of a fabric or do they feel like plastic. Imagine the type or plastic that is used to cover tables, the type that comes on a roll or the material of a cheap plastic rain coat. If it feels plastic it is fake. Autentic jerseys only use real tackle twill which should feel like the material used in gap khakis.

The front numbers are usually smaller than the back numbers so that is normal, my jerseys have 10" numbers on the front and 12" numbers on the back.

The bottom line is that if you like the jersey and it makes you happy to wear it does it matter if it is fake or if it is "authentic"?

Fake, but a very convincing one.

As the previous poster said, the "Made in China" on the tag is the giveaway. Publicly-sold authentic jerseys have been made in El Salvador since the mid-90's. In the last two years, some work has been contracted out to Korea. No authentic NFL jerseys are made in China.

Still, if you enjoy the jersey and are happy with it, then continue doing so. And whatever you do, don't tell the person who gave it to you about it. Be happy and grateful. Just remember when purchasing for yourself, avaoid the "Made in China" tags.

Am I reading it wrong or do the tag's French and Spanish descriptions say the jersey was made in Korea? I'm not sure that sheds any light on its authenticity, but it strikes me as a bit odd that the jersey itself is not consistent about where it was made.

Am I reading it wrong or do the tag's French and Spanish descriptions say the jersey was made in Korea? I'm not sure that sheds any light on its authenticity, but it strikes me as a bit odd that the jersey itself is not consistent about where it was made.

It certainley does, the french says "Coree"

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Wow. I'm at work right now, I'll have a look at it when I get back.

The numbers seemed stiff to me, I'd have to again check it. It didn't really occur to me. I've never had an authentic so I can't really tell. To me however, it doesn't really matter, although I am a bit wary from an ethics standpoint to support bootleg jerseys... I know the NFL makes a zillion dollars off them but it's just kind of a moral thing.

All said though, I'm very happy with it. I don't think 99/100 people would be able to tell (who would come up to me and say "Can I check and see if that was made in El Salvador"). But it's actually a neat little thing to see just what would tip off people.

Thanks for the input guys :) When I get home I'll get some clarifications on those tags and the NFL logo stitching and post that, just for public knowledge.

EDIT: You'd think that for all the trouble they went though doing this, that they'd not mess up something so easy as 2 different places on the tag in different languages. But. Eh. Whatever :P

Aha. Here's some visual proof to the few mistakes pointed out on the thread.

Here's hoping you can use them to catch a fake jersey before it's bought.

Like I said before, I don't mind having it, but it's good to be educated, no?

The evidence:

I believe this isn't Tackle Twill. It seems stiff, though I wouldn't say plastic, it could be. Could anyone with more experience with this and can tell if this is legit or not? I'm leaning towards no.

jersey5.jpg

China=Korea. My favorite part of this whole thing.

jersey6.jpg

Aha. Stitched.

jersey7.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

I just checked my authentic jersey i bought at the Patriots Proshop a few years back because i wanted to see if my tag was Korea for all 3 languages which it was. however i noticed that my jersey was 100% Nylon while this Bronco's Jersey says 100% Polyester. was it changed any time a while ago or would that be another noticable tip off?

Archived