Miami Floridians

HowBoutThemFins

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else think its sacreligious for the NBA to be wearing attire of a team in a league that 35 years ago it was doing everything imaginable to destroy?

I agree, but the bigger problem is that the Miami Heat are not related to the ABA Floridians in any way whatsoever besides geographically.

For a little bit of a history lesson: The Floridians played from 1968 - 1972 in the ABA as both the Miami Floridians and just as The Floridians (when they played as a regional team at a mixed bag of arenas ranging from Tampa to St. Petersburg to Jacksonville). They were known for their scantily clad ball girls and crazy promotions like free pantyhose and live turkey night on Thanksgiving. The team met their demise in 1972 when the franchise was purchased by the league and disbanded.

As I said, there is really for the NBA to allow this kind of unrelated "throwback." It simply makes no sense for the Miami Heat franchise historically to push this image. It?s like the Seattle Mariners wearing Pilots throwbacks or the Washington Nationals wearing Senators throwbacks, but at least those are from the same league. I hope ripping off the ABA is not a new theme for the NBA, or can we expect to see the Minnesota Timberwolves wearing Muskies throwbacks or the Charlotte Bobcats wearing Carolina Cougars throwbacks next?

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

jules.gif

Ain't no f***in' ballpark neither. Now look, maybe your method of massage differs from mine, but, you know, touchin' his wife's feet, and stickin' your tongue in her Holiest of Holies, ain't the same f***in' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same f***in' sport. Look, foot massages don't mean s**t.

and by the way- just to stay on topic- I love the jerseys

I hope ripping off the ABA is not a new theme for the NBA, or can we expect to see the Minnesota Timberwolves wearing Muskies throwbacks or the Charlotte Bobcats wearing Carolina Cougars throwbacks next?

If you'd be even a little surprised to see these "throwbacks", you are sorely underestimating the NBA's retro-fueled push for cash.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

As I said, there is really for the NBA to allow this kind of unrelated "throwback." It simply makes no sense for the Miami Heat franchise historically to push this image. It?s like the Seattle Mariners wearing Pilots throwbacks or the Washington Nationals wearing Senators throwbacks, but at least those are from the same league. I hope ripping off the ABA is not a new theme for the NBA, or can we expect to see the Minnesota Timberwolves wearing Muskies throwbacks or the Charlotte Bobcats wearing Carolina Cougars throwbacks next?

So can I presume that you have a problem with the Mariners wearing Raniers throwbacks, or Brewers wearing American Association Brewers throwbacks?

MLB's been doing this kind of throwback for a decade.

Anyone else think its sacreligious for the NBA to be wearing attire of a team in a league that 35 years ago it was doing everything imaginable to destroy?

I agree, but the bigger problem is that the Miami Heat are not related to the ABA Floridians in any way whatsoever besides geographically.....

...As I said, there is really for the NBA to allow this kind of unrelated "throwback." It simply makes no sense for the Miami Heat franchise historically to push this image. It?s like the Seattle Mariners wearing Pilots throwbacks or the Washington Nationals wearing Senators throwbacks, but at least those are from the same league. I hope ripping off the ABA is not a new theme for the NBA, or can we expect to see the Minnesota Timberwolves wearing Muskies throwbacks or the Charlotte Bobcats wearing Carolina Cougars throwbacks next?

I think it's interesting in an ironic sort of way, but not necessarily sacrilegious.

Look at three of the major pro sports leagues: the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL. During the 60s and 70s, they were in competition for players, fans, expansion TV contracts, etc. with rival sports leagues. The end result of each was either a merger or absorption of teams from the rival league into the senior league (arguably, a similar situation arose about a century ago with organized major league baseball). Althouhg it should be noted that while the NBA absorbed 4 ABA teams in 1976, thye had been talking merger much earlier, but were stopped by a court challenge from a player (Oscar Robertson) claiming that the merged league would be to the detriment of players, as it was a monopoly.

The ABA, despite being a rival to the NBA, is clearly now a part of the history of the NBA. Not just because of the 4 ABA franchises that are now in the league, but because of the impact that the ABA had on the NBA-- in terms of eventual rule changes (3 point shot, etc.), expansion into markets, escalation of player contract values, etc. Time and age can mellow even the deepest of animosities, as well-- the USA fought Britain twice (revolution and War of 1812) but within the space of a century became (and remain) the closest of allies.

The NBA has (and is continuing to) take notice of this new respect for history as it can help their bottom line. If you look at the TESS registrations for the old ABA teams, look and see who owns the trademark rights-- the NBA. But apparently, they registered them sometime in the early 1990s after a period of ABA logos and such had laid fallow. So, now they can market ABA goods as a part of history, and earn a pretty penny doing so. It should also be noted that the NFL does a similar thing with old AFL merchandise-- in fact they recycled two defunct AFL names (Titans & Texans) for new nicknames....

Darkshadow, I understand your thought that that it makes no sense for the Miami Heat franchise to push this image. But I think it makes sense for the NBA franchise in Miami to recognize a part of pro basketball history in the area. I've seen examples of this in other sports-- the Pacific Coast league Zephyrs here in New Orleans wore throwbacks of the old Southern Association minor league team (the Pelicans), despite not being in the same league and there being no connection between the two, other than them both being minor league clubs representing New Orleans.

To answer your final question, it was my understanding from threads on this board that several NBA teams this season will be donning unis from a previous ABA franchise in their cities/areas. I had heard that the Hornets would be wearing New Orleans Buccaneers jerseys at one point, in fact.....

It is what it is.

If my calculations are correct, we should could the following NBA tems in ABA uniforms...

Utah Jazz--> Utah Stars

Golden State Warriors--->Oakland Oaks

Los Angeles Clippers-->LA Stars or Anaheim Amigos (Just can't see Lakers doing that).

Denver Nuggets-->Denver Rockets or Nuggets

San Antonio Spurs

Houston Rockets-->Houston Mavericks

Dallas Mavericks-->Dallas Chaps

NO Hornets--> NO Buccaneers

Minnesota T'Wolves-->Minnesota Muskies or Pipers

Indiana Pacers

New Jersey Nets-->NY Nets

Washington Wizards-->Washington Caps

Charlotte Bobcats--->Carolina Cougars

Memphis Grizzlies--->Memphis Pros/Tams/Sounds

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

(Just can't see Lakers doing that).

That, and they're already all tied up honoring the Minneapolis Lakers, and the Elgin Baylor-era blue Lakers uniforms as well.

What about the teams that played in cities where the NBA doesn't play now? Baltimore (Hustlers), Kentucky (Colonels), Virginia (Squires), St. Louis (Spirits), San Diego (Conquistadors)?

Sidebar question - I left Pittsburgh off the list, because the Pipers also played in Minnesota. The Minnesota Pipers only played one year IIRC ('68? '69?) after the Muskies moved to Florida, but Pittsburgh had a team called the Pipers before and after that time. Yes? So were there 2 teams called the Pipers, or was it a 1-year move?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

So can I presume that you have a problem with the Mariners wearing Raniers throwbacks, or Brewers wearing American Association Brewers throwbacks?

MLB's been doing this kind of throwback for a decade.

Mind you the Milwaukee Brewers wore 1957 Milwaukee Braves throwbacks when they played against the Atlanta Braves this past season.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Darkshadow, I understand your thought that that it makes no sense for the Miami Heat franchise to push this image. But I think it makes sense for the NBA franchise in Miami to recognize a part of pro basketball history in the area. I've seen examples of this in other sports-- the Pacific Coast league Zephyrs here in New Orleans wore throwbacks of the old Southern Association minor league team (the Pelicans), despite not being in the same league and there being no connection between the two, other than them both being minor league clubs representing New Orleans.

After rereading my post and taking in the responses from my fellow board members, I can honestly say that I came down a little too hard on the whole Heat/Floridians issue. The ABA needs to be remembered for what it provided the NBA, and its jerseys are definitely one. After the ABA strove for so long to assimilate into the NBA, when the made the push in the early 1970?s to rage against the system they really became what they are known for today.

I do not shun throwbacks in sports at all. Teams need to embrace their past while looking towards the future. Well, as long as we do not have a repeat of the whole Turn Ahead the Clock jerseys. In retrospect, I have enjoyed the Negro league jerseys in the MLB, the ABA throwbacks in the NBA, and the rebirth of defunct franchise names like the Texans and the Nationals. Throwbacks spice up the monotony of sports jerseys, just look at what the Brewers are doing on Sundays next season.

Thanks for straitening out a newbie with his head up his ass.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Did the Floridians unis really look like that?

And J Hans: the Dallas Mavs to Dallas Chaps is a little wrong. Actually the Dallas Chapparrals were the forerunner to the San Antonio Spurs. The Chaps were "rented" from Dallas by San Antonio, then eventually purchased and moved the team.

metslogo_215.gif

If my calculations are correct, we should could the following NBA tems in ABA uniforms...

Utah Jazz--> Utah Stars

Golden State Warriors--->Oakland Oaks

Los Angeles Clippers-->LA Stars or Anaheim Amigos (Just can't see Lakers doing that).

Denver Nuggets-->Denver Rockets or Nuggets

San Antonio Spurs

Houston Rockets-->Houston Mavericks

Dallas Mavericks-->Dallas Chaps

NO Hornets--> NO Buccaneers

Minnesota T'Wolves-->Minnesota Muskies or Pipers

Indiana Pacers

New Jersey Nets-->NY Nets

Washington Wizards-->Washington Caps

Charlotte Bobcats--->Carolina Cougars

Memphis Grizzlies--->Memphis Pros/Tams/Sounds

The Wizards should wear the uni's of the Baltimore Claws who NEVER played a game..They had a funky logo and unis set up , but folded before the '75 season

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Don't forget:

Atlanta Hawks-->Tri-Cities or Milwaukee Hawks

Milwaukee Bucks-->Milwaukee Hawks

Now, I think I'm going to have a Royale with Cheese ...

Slightly different category. Those are prior NBA teams (or really the same team in a different city, in the Atlanta/Tri-Cities/Milwaukee case). The other examples are ABA teams in NBA cities.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The wig really cracked me up, and for a good reason.

Remember, back in the '70s, it wasn't just fashionable for African Americans to have big Afros. It was also fashionable for us white people, as well, including myself.

Yes, I had long, permed hair in the late '70s. I think of it now or look at pictures of myself and it cracks me up. But it was sure cool back then, especially with a bandanna around the head.

Just heard on the news, if the Heat are wearing

B000CP02FG.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._AA225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

these jerseys on Sunday. Then they will be facing off against these.

B000CP21M8.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._AA225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(If this was posted somewhere else already, then respond accordingly)

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived