Colts are defeated!

lopernv

OK, it was the All-America Football Conference. And what about the ABA?

tank's saying that even thoughthe browns went undefeated, they did it in a joke of a leauge, much like the current aba. i for one agree with him.

The AAFC was the Browns stomping on every one for 4 years and in 1950 the NFL asborbed a few teams when the league folded. Notablly the Browns and 49ers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Getting back on topic, I think the Colts made two huge mistakes late in the game which might have cost them the game.

1) With about 2:45 to go in the game and having just been driven into long field goal range (about 55 yards), the Colts elect to punt for field position instead of try the FG, and the lead.

How I see it, either way, you need to stop the Chargers from getting a first down in that situation. I say try the firld goal, and even if you do miss, you still have to stop them from getting a first down. The Chargers scoring wasn't much of an issue at that point.

2) After Indy punted and the Chargers were stopped for a 3 yard loss on their first play, the Colts played the pass on 2nd and 13 while everyone knows that San Diego will run the ball to force the Colts into using their timeouts.

So Indy sets up to play ont pass on 2nd and long. Turns out the Chargers call a running play as we all expect, and wind up taking it to the house on an 80+ yard run. Poor decision.

6uXNWAo.png

The Cleveland Browns played in the All-American Football Conference in 1948 not the NFL. Thats like pointing to a great record in the ABA

Actually Tank the AAFC by 1948 was considered on a par with the NFL, and by some was considered the superior league in 1949 in terms of quality of play. The Browns would go on to confirm this to an extent by winning the NFL title in 1950 and going on to appear in the first 6 NFL title games after joining the league, winning 3.

nav-logo.png

Archived