'72 Dolphins popping the corks...

infrared41

I have a recollection (but maybe I am making it up, after seeing that last link) of seeing some champagne popping in 1998 when Denver was flirting with going undefeated for a while. It struck me taht Bob Griese was popping champaigne, though his son, Brian was on that Denver team. Sure he was just the backup, but would Bob not have liked sharing that distinction with his son, anyway?

From that point on, it kind of has bothered me. They went 17-0. No other undefeated team will ever take taht away. I would suspect that many people ('72 Dolphins, Hank Aaron, Lou Brock, etc, etc.) secretly do not want their records broken, but to publicly celebrate when someone fails seems lame. Can you imagine Barry Bonds retiring a few HR short of the record and Hank Aaron popping champagne?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Let the 72 Dolphins have their fun...

Plop, it's not like that franchise has done anything of note since Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield said "hey, that WFL looks like a MUCH better deal than playing for the Fins!" :lol::P

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Hey Dirty & WiB, I'd be bitter too if it was the Jets or Bills who had that perfect season instead.

As a Dolphins fan, I think owning the record is sweet, but it's not cool to rub it in everyone's faces. But I think the actual truth meets halfway between the media blowing it way out of proportion and their own egos making themselves foolish.

So I would say in answer to the topic's question, it's both A & B.

I think we all knew it was a lie when Bob Griese said in the press conference yesterday that he was pulling for the Colts to get the perfect season. But I don't think he meant to disrespect the Colts by cheering against them either.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

we might even see 20-0 one of these years.

That will never happen.

Three teams, all in the same conference, would have to start out 16-0 for that to even become a possablilty.

Or the NFL could go to a 17 game regular season.

And it may (by eliminating one week of pre-season).

I don't have a problem with these guys celebrating the passing of another year with their record intact. Until another team can surpass what the 72 Phins did, there's no reason why they shouldn't continue to celebrate doing what no other team has managed to do since.

Hey Dirty & WiB, I'd be bitter too if it was the Jets or Bills who had that perfect season instead.

As a Dolphins fan, I think owning the record is sweet, but it's not cool to rub it in everyone's faces. But I think the actual truth meets halfway between the media blowing it way out of proportion and their own egos making themselves foolish.

So I would say in answer to the topic's question, it's both A & B.

I think we all knew it was a lie when Bob Griese said in the press conference yesterday that he was pulling for the Colts to get the perfect season. But I don't think he meant to disrespect the Colts by cheering against them either.

Who's bitter?

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

My problem is when they do it. After the last unbeaten team losses. If they did it say on the Anniversary of of Super Bowl VII it would be fine. But because they do it after the last unbeaten losses it makes them seem like bitter jerks.

One question though. Why did Miami have to go to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship game? Miami clearly had the better record, shouldn't that game have been in Miami?

My problem is when they do it. After the last unbeaten team losses. If they did it say on the Anniversary of of Super Bowl VII it would be fine. But because they do it after the last unbeaten losses it makes them seem like bitter jerks.

Yeah, it's like "oh good, we can hang on to our past for one more year, PHEW!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Those of you who aren't Dolphin fans just don't see it the same way that Miami fans do. You see them as bitter old men who can't let go of something that happened over 30 years ago.

What they did isn't an easy thing to do. No one did it before them and no one has done it since. It's quite an accomplishment and I don't see anything wrong with them celebrating it or rooting against teams that threaten the record.

Exactly what is this "record" that everyone is talking about? If it's fewest losses in a season, then no other team can top it. Certainly the '72 Dolphins don't have the record for most wins in a season, because the '85 Bears, among a few others, have topped that.

The '72 Dolphins were the first, and so far only, undefeated team. If another team comes along undefeated, they'll still be the first, and no one can take that away from them. I am sick of hearing about them celebrating the defeat of the last unbeaten team every season. Sounds pathetic, and quite unnecessary.

Well if you belive Don Shula and Bob Griese its untrue its something that just is aan urban legend taht they pop the corks, Im sure they get around and remineice but they never do it publically so hwats the big deal?

Cant old friends get togetehr and cleberate once a year a greta accomplishment.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Eh, I don't mind it except for one thing.

The season in which the Broncos started 13-0, Bob Griese had said something to the effect that he was cheering for the Broncos to lose so they could be the only team to have done it still. My problem with that? Brian Griese, Bob's son, was a backup QB for the Broncos. Cheering against your sons team so you're the only ones? Pathetic.

IUe6Hvh.png

It doesn't bother me, let them celebrate it--

I don't think the 48 Calgary Stampeders did it--they went undefeated--and between the 48 & 49 seasons rattled off 22 consecutive victories--the best winning streak in all of pro football.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived