Ducks 3rds to be unveil tomorrow

jkrdevil

I think three tweaks make this a better jersey:

- Make the base colour either eggplant (purple) or jade (teal/green/whatever).

- Make the main stripe colour whichever colour wasn't chosen for the main colour.

- Put the mask logo on the shoulders.

Do that, and this gets a ton better.  As it is, it just doesn't really fit.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me there's no mask logo for a reason, There Fasing it out. And Right fully sold. When there is a new owner (is DIsney still trying to sell them?) I think they should drop Mighty from there there name (just Ducks is good). And should change they colors since there like the Disney colors (go Disney World, those colors are all over the place). I sya however leave the teal.

If these didn't look a lot like the Kings, I think they were great. Put teal in these and they would be a lot better. Alos no tie down if you still have Mighty in your name.

Bah.  The mask logo is a perfectly fine logo.  This is, I think, one of the teams not in need of an identity overhaul.

POTD 2013-08-22

jkrdevil...

With all due respect, the changes that you called for in your most recent post - as well as the reasoning behind them - are ridiculous.

While there have been instances of new ownership groups tweaking the identity packages of the sports franchises they've just purchased, the vast majority of ownership changes have NOT been accompanied by wholesale changes to the teams' branding.

There is no getting around the fact that Anaheim's NHL expansion franchise would not have been named the Mighty Ducks if it weren't for the fact that they were Disney-owned. I'll grant you that. It is also quite obvious that the Mighty Ducks' logo package was developed in-house by artists on the Disney payroll. However, simply because Disney may divest itself of the franchise, that's no reason to jettison the tradition that the team has been able to build over the past decade.

Don't scoff at the notion of the Mighty Ducks having a "tradition". The past ten year's may be a "drop in the bucket" compared to the history of other NHL clubs, but they represent the only history and tradition that Mighty Ducks fans have ever known. Plus, that tradition includes a recent trip to the Stanley Cup Finals. There are NHL teams that would have given their eye-teeth to get a shot at playing for the Stanley Cup last season... my "storied" Boston Bruins amongst them.

Bottom line? IMHO, as long as the team remains in Anaheim, I believe that a new owner would be crazy to abandon the Mighty Ducks identity. I also think that the colors should be retained. They're unique within the league... hey, the combo is pretty much unique in all of sports (By the way...I don't know which Disney park you've been to recently, but neither one of them is drenched in plum, jade and silver-grey!). And some version of the duck-shaped goalie mask logo has got to be used somewhere on the uniforms. It's a brilliant way to tie-in the name Ducks with imagery from the sport of hockey.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is "Mighty Ducks" a traditional identity in the 75-to-100 years of history vein? No. Then again, not every team should be 75-to-100-year "traditional". The one thing that Disney had the courage to do, was to have fun with the conventions of a modern sports identity package. So let's leave well enough alone and let THAT be a significant part of the Mighty Ducks tradition.

BTW, Anaheim's new 3rd would be great if you...

1) Substituted Plum for Black;

2) Substituted Jade for Plum;

3) Substituted a Duck-Goalie Mask logo for the M-D logo;

4) Shorten the body of the "i" and dot it with a puck.

Brian in Boston

Stl. Louis's is good, that's what the should of done, not Kingish. The design isn't bad it's the way they used the colors.

Also, I think dropping the Mighty will be a good thing. Even if there were no movies, I think they name would still be laughed at becuase of Mighty.

The colors aren't that big of a deal, if they do the above for mention, and not change they colors, it would be alright. That's just a suggestion if a new owner wants to put this "Named after a movie" era behind them. As far as the mask, I think with just the ducks as a name they could come up with a classier logo.

I feel after making it to the finals was the first step of removing them selves from the movies, and these jersey are the second step. It looks to me that the Ducks are trying to fase (sp?) out the mask logo.

Stl. Louis's is good, that's what the should of done, not Kingish. The design isn't bad it's the way they used the colors.

Also, I think dropping the Mighty will be a good thing. Even if there were no movies, I think they name would still be laughed at becuase of Mighty.

The colors aren't that big of a deal, if they do the above for mention, and not change they colors, it would be alright. That's just a suggestion if a new owner wants to put this "Named after a movie" era behind them. As far as the mask, I think with just the ducks as a name they could come up with a classier logo.

I feel after making it to the finals was the first step of removing them selves from the movies, and these jersey are the second step. It looks to me that the Ducks are trying to fase (sp?) out the mask logo.

They would be stupid to phase out what they have. Stupid. It's awesome. It's fun. Have a classy, good hockey attitude. That's great. But, have fun too. I would not give a crap about this team except that I can relate to the movie and the automatic fun that comes from their scheme. It's great. It's fun. It's also not horrible by any stretch. It looks good. Personally, I'd laugh at a team trying to be classy and have an intimidating name who called themselves the ducks. I'd laugh AT them. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim? I laugh WITH them. Their fun and they look good, and now have good play. Go Ducks. But first, GO BLUES!

They would be stupid to phase out what they have. Stupid. It's awesome. It's fun. Have a classy, good hockey attitude. That's great. But, have fun too. I would not give a crap about this team except that I can relate to the movie and the automatic fun that comes from their scheme. It's great. It's fun. It's also not horrible by any stretch. It looks good. Personally, I'd laugh at a team trying to be classy and have an intimidating name who called themselves the ducks. I'd laugh AT them. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim? I laugh WITH them. Their fun and they look good, and now have good play. Go Ducks. But first, GO BLUES!

You don't have to have an intimidating name to be classy. Is there anyone here who's afraid of a leaf. But the Leafs have a very classy look. Face the facts the Ducks, even after their finals apperance, are still the joke of the NHL. There name after a movie. And they didn't help seperate them selves any with Wild Wing, and still having there jersey's in the Mighty Ducks movies.

When most people think of the Mighty Ducks, they think of the, movie, and the kids hockey team in it. A little pee-wee team is not the image you want for your Pro Hockey team. With the jersey's constantly in the movie's they will always be associated with the horrible movies.

And they are very differnt from other movies that had teams in it. Take Angels in the Outfield, In that the Angels were atleast portrayed as a Major League team, although they were horrible. In this like I said before, in the Movies the Mighty Ducks are a kids team.

I feel with Disney selling the team, and off the teams new success, it's time to turn the page to a brighter future as the Anahiem Ducks.

Just keep in mind that the jerseys did not come from the movie; the first movie had completely different jerseys.

I still think the Ducks' logo is a fine NHL crest.  I don't see it as being all that "cartoony," really.  I can't put my finger on it, but I see it, and it just looks like a pro hockey crest.

POTD 2013-08-22

Just keep in mind that the jerseys did not come from the movie; the first movie had completely different jerseys.

I still think the Ducks' logo is a fine NHL crest. I don't see it as being all that "cartoony," really. I can't put my finger on it, but I see it, and it just looks like a pro hockey crest.

I know, but they're were in every deucks movies since.

( . . . . putting on transactional attorney hat . . . . )

If and when Disney sells the team, I'd be willing to bet there will be a clause in the sale agreement that binds the new owner (and any successors to whom they may sell the team) to retain the name "Mighty Ducks" and to keep the duck mask logo "visible" (whether that be on a uniform, on the ice, or by other means visible on a national scale) for a fixed period of time, more than likely 10-20 years at minimum. Although they want to get out of the sports ownership business, having a Mighty Ducks franchise around for the foreseeable future will assist them in the continued marketing of their "Mighty Duck" movies, DVD's and the cartoon series. The consideration for such a covenant could be a fractional percentage of royalty profits from Mighty Ducks merchandise (likely less than 1%, but at least something to protect the clause from being deemed overly restrictive and thus null). Given Disney's penchant for discontinuing the production of videos,only to revive them in "new and improved" formats 10 years later, it's likely they are going to want to keep the Mighty Duck brand around for the next generation of kids. Granted we're not talking about Snow White or Fantasia here, but I can't see Disney allowing this brand to disappear once they let go of the team.

And Emelio Estevez's grandkids will thank them for it.

Not every team has to look classy in that old boring way. The Mighty Ducks look great. Their fun and innovative, but not gaudy.

Their logos are even better than their jerseys. You want cartoon, go check out the Penguins (who by the way have a great logo). The Ducks logo is not cartoony really. It looks like a duck, but in a goalie mask, and it's sleek, and I dunno, really awesome. Probably one of the best logos in sports.

meh to these.

double meh.

Why completely disrgard the teal?  whylook just like the kings, who play miles away from you?

i think sme dos damned good work, so im excited to see the rest of these. but man, the whole retro thing has become so cliche' it makes me wanna pull my hair out that these marketers are so unclevar and predictable.

--

'hey, this worked for the kings when they got gretzky, lets just throw in purple.' Old suit says, after reading that the kings merchandise went up in the 90s,following the change.

can somebody that has a job of importance in this field grow a pair and try something crazy?

just a question.

Archived