Goal Horns

maz

Was it just me or did the Caps' goal siren at the old Capital Centre sound like the police were coming to get you?

Nope, it wasn't just you. That's what they used at the Crapital Centre.

And didn't Pittsburgh use an old air raid siren at some point in the recent past?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Ottawa's goal horn is apparently a Canadian National Railway train whistle.

Listening to all of them, I came up with these observations:

- Columbus, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Toronto all appear to have the same horn. Colorado's is a slightly lower pitched version of same horn.

- Atlanta, Dallas and Florida all appear to have the same horn.

- Buffalo, Nashville and Washington all appear to have the same horn. Carolina's horn appears to be a slighty lower pitched version of that same horn.

- Chicago, Minnesota, New Jersey and Phoenix all appear to have the same horn. Detroit's horn appears to be a slighty lower pitched version of that same horn.

- Pittsburgh and Vancouver appear to have the same horn. NY Islanders' horn appears to be a slightly higher pitched version of that same horn.

- Anaheim, Boston, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, NY Rangers and San Jose all appear to have completely original goal horns. Bravo to them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

This isn't exactly the NHL but it's still hockey.

The Peoria Rivermen used to have pretty extravagant horns after a score, three.

The usual boat horn, followed by a trumpet from an actual trumpeteer who would on occasion, roam around the arena for certain games and bang the glass and last, every Peoria goal had to be followed by "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC.

And didn't Pittsburgh use an old air raid siren at some point in the recent past?

Yeah, 2 or so years ago but it would last for almost until the next faceoff, it sounded good at first, but after a little bit it could get kinda annoying.

They then changed their horn to their current one, which is pretty nice, and if you sit in the right place it can be sorta loud.

oBIgzrL.png

Vancouver's is nothing special, but that's what it should be, the approar of the fans says way more than a goal horn. In Vancouver, for a couple years already, we have had an all U2 type of thing. Vancouver has the best entrance music "Where the Streets Have No Name" and whenever that song is heard in Vancouver, it seems like everyone has to stop and listen to it. Now whenever the Canucks score a goal, "Elevation" is played.

The Capitals still include the police car siren (North American style, not European style) after goals. They started with a foghorn, then the siren, then a song - for their 2nd goal today v. Philadelphia, it was "Zombie Nation".

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Does any other team other than St. Louis ring a bell in the amount of goals they've scored?

It reminds me of college football cheerleaders doing 21 puchups after their team scores 3 td's.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

what is the organ ditty called that the Blackhawks play after the horn. I used to love hearing that and Brass Bonanza in NHL 94.

i believe it's just called "Here Come the Hawks" and it should be on the chicago blackhawks web page. the hawks....the mighty blackhawks.

one of my favorite horns is the Islanders. from what i hear its one of the loudest horns in the league, but then again i hear nassau colliseum has the worst accoustics. calgary and minnesota also have cool horns. and in my opinion, the LOUDER, the BETTER.

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

The Flyers easily had the best goal horn but they went and changed it to some crappy one that sounds like the Lightning  :cursing:  :cry:...

You're not serious, are you?

Have you heard the one they installed about a month ago? It's infinitely better than the wimpy car horn they used for the past couple seasons. The new is deep, and loud. Bone-rattling loud. That it sounds like someone else's horn matters less than that it not sound weak and impotent. The old goal horn was on the bottom end of NHL horns anyway. Being unique doesn't always mean being better, and while it was unique, it was a far cry from the best goal horns in the league.

2007nleastchamps.png

• 3 weeks later...
The new habs song sucks :mad: .

The old one was much better listen to it here : Hab's Goal Song

Can't agree more... The old one was really nice.

I hate having to listen to U2 everytime the habs score. I hope they change next year.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

The Wild have the best goal horn I wish it was the Leafs!

You mean the horn that was heard mulitple times last week as the Wild beat the Leafs? ^_^

It is a cool horn, which is combined with a lighthouse structure (complete with a rotating light) and smoke ("fog"? *heh*).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Personal faves....

--Dallas (American Airlines Center): Just obnoxiously long and loud...the way it should be when the home team puts one in the back of the net. During their Stanley Cup runs in 99 and 2000, I swear I could feel it sitting in front of my damn TV

--NY Islanders (Nassau Mausoleum): I despise the Fishsticks and everything they stand for, but this is one thing they got right. That horn is fluffing LOUD....also they go a different route with the goal song and play Gary Glitter's famous song..but the version with the lyrics. It's different enough that it's kinda cool. However, they ruin it with that lame "WHOOHOO!" after the goals (I know the folks in the Blueseats did a parody of it during a Rangers/Fishsticks game at the Garden this season after Rangers goals, much to the dismay of some Icelanders fans that made the trip in :lol: )...however, their OLDER one (from the Gorton's Fisherman Jersey days) was REALLY something...it was a mix of the regular horn with a foghorn from a lighthouse all going off at the same time...the damn thing nearly made my ears bleed....

--Carolina (RBC Center): The HCC horn still lives...it made the trip down south with the team...and it's still loud as ever.

--St Louis (Savvis Center): This one is just hokey enough, it's cool :lol: ....what sells this is the organist playing "When The Saints Go Marching In" and that whistle afterwords...then of course, there's the bell...

--Philly (Wachovia Center): Have to agree with VitaminD..that new horn is just WICKED. That and I liked the touch they did a few years ago of playing the end of Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" as the goal song (dunno if they still do it or not)...now THAT's a pretty unique goal song...it's right there with the Rangers as probably the best goal song.

--Montreal (Centre Bell): Have to agree that the older goal song (what I called the "oh-we-oh-oh-oh!" song) was MUCH better than using U2's "Vertigo". Still, it's not horrid.

--Ottawa (ScotiaBank Centre): The train horn's pretty cool (what sells it is the pic of the VIA train racing around on the LED boards)...that and using Blur's "Song #2"

--Detroit (The Joe): It's not the horn that wins it for the Wings here...it's the SCORER SPECIFIC SONGS that does the trick here. As much as I don't like the guy, the idea of playing an Irish jig every time Shanahan scores is kinda inspired :lol:

--Buffalo (HSBC Arena) & Chicago (United Center): Classics both...basically, the grandpappies of the loud, obnoxious horns of today.

And some of my faves from around the world of hockey....

--Bridgeport (Arena @ HarborYard): They use a replica of the ferry horn from the Port Jeff ferry (makes sense, seeing the terminal's about 1/4 mile from the arena itself).

--Rockford (Rockford MetroCentre): The UHL's IceHogs win on orginality for a goal song as they use....Will Smith's "Shake The Room". It sounds kinda really :blink: for a hockey song, but damned if it doesn't work

--Danbury (Danbury Ice Arena): The UHL's Trashers use a train horn which does make a lot of sense seeing the DIA is right across the street from the Danbury MetroNorth train station. Never hear it though during games...mostly b/c the section I have seasons in is pretty loud and we tend to drown it out.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived