help identifying a logo

JBPerry

goldminersMF.jpg

does anybody know what team's logo this is. I thought it was the Berlin Thunder's but I was wron. Any Ideas?

Mods, if I have this in the wrong place, please move it to the right place

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Actually I believe they dropped the "UNC" part, I think they're just Charlotte now.

The sports teams just use Charlotte, but the school uses UNC.

Which, IMO, is ludicrous. Can we now expect to see the following changes?

UW Milwaukee -- Milwaukee

UCLA -- Los Angeles

UAB -- Birmingham

Univ. of Maryland Eastern Shore -- Eastern Shore

Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County -- Baltimore County

UC San Diego -- San Diego (of course, that is taken already)

Best yet, taken to the logical end of this idea --

UMass-Dartmouth can just call itself DARTMOUTH!!

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

It's not that unhead of. Lots of schools do it, you just don't realize it. Here's a couple examples off the top of my head:

Fresno St. - California State University - Fresno

Rutgers - State University of New jersey at Rutgers

Sacramento State - California State U at Sacramento

And if Maryland Eastern Shore changes to Eastern Shore, it's not going to ruin my day, so don't let it ruin yours.

It's not that unhead of. Lots of schools do it, you just don't realize it. Here's a couple examples off the top of my head:

Fresno St. - California State University - Fresno

Sacramento State - California State U at Sacramento

And if Maryland Eastern Shore changes to Eastern Shore, it's not going to ruin my day, so don't let it ruin yours.

I just think it needs to be one or the other. If the school is UNC Charlotte for all other purposes, why not for athletics? It won't ruin my day if any of those schools change as noted (there are plenty of other things that can do that), but I felt compelled to rant (and Dartmouth College MAY have something to say :D ).

As for your examples, the correct name of Rutgers, according to its website, is "Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey", so I'm not sure it fits within my rant (though Vitamin D may have his own separate rant on that subject). Also, under MY rules ( :P ), the Cal State examples don't apply because they still use State in the common name.

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Actually I believe they dropped the "UNC" part, I think they're just Charlotte now.

The sports teams just use Charlotte, but the school uses UNC.

Which, IMO, is ludicrous. Can we now expect to see the following changes?

UW Milwaukee -- Milwaukee

UCLA -- Los Angeles

UAB -- Birmingham

Univ. of Maryland Eastern Shore -- Eastern Shore

Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County -- Baltimore County

UC San Diego -- San Diego (of course, that is taken already)

Best yet, taken to the logical end of this idea --

UMass-Dartmouth can just call itself DARTMOUTH!!

Actually, UWM uses "MILWAUKEE" nomenclature on all their uniforms instead of the acronym...

QPR%20Sig.png

hey, for UT, everybody says UT or Texas, not the University of Texas - Austin.

In fact there's:

University of Texas - Arlington (UTA)

University of Texas - Brownsville (UTB)

University of Texas - Dallas (UTD)

University of Texas - El Paso (UTEP)

University of Texas - Pan American (UTPA)

University of Texas - Permian Basin (UTPB)

University of Texas - San Antonio (UTSA)

University of Texas - Tyler (UTT)

Are all part of the University of Texas System

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

it's probably because of the Chapel Hill Campus's athletics popularity that UNC-Charlotte leaves "UNC" out for sports-- they want their own identity as a university.

this is partly it...they also want to form a stronger connection between the city and university, and believe that athletics are the first step - from my understanding, there are many within the university who want to drop the "unc" altogether and become charlotte university or the university of charlotte or something like that

jldesigns404eo.png

I never understood why Memphis State changed to Memphis.

To sound more private/prestigious to the uninformed. Most of the schools in the PA state university system (Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, Kutztown, Millersville, East Stroudsburg, etc.) dropped "State" about 20 years ago. Around here, Towson and Salisbury dropped the "State" 3-4 years ago. Many of the SUNY schools (Buffalo, Binghamton, Albany, Stony Brook, etc.) have joined the crowd as well, I just don't know when. The idea is that it will improve the image of the school and/or help admissions and fundraising. It is probably too early to tell if that is the case.

this is partly it...they also want to form a stronger connection between the city and university, and believe that athletics are the first step - from my understanding, there are many within the university who want to drop the "unc" altogether and become charlotte university or the university of charlotte or something like that

If that happened, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They would at least be consistent. What bothers me is the inconsistency.

Actually, UWM uses "MILWAUKEE" nomenclature on all their uniforms instead of the acronym...
UAB is trying to move away from the UAB (to be out of the University of Alabama's shadow) However, the closest they've come is by having one baseball and one basketball alternate just say "Birmingham" across the front.

That bothers me less. At least they don't appear to be insisting (not yet, anyway) that all references to the school (athletically, that is) ignore the UW or UA components of the name that still exist at this point. UNC Charlotte, on the other hand, makes no reference to the UNC part of the name. If UWM is in the NCAA bracket, the UW part is included, but that isn't the case with UNCCharlotte.

Rutgers isn't an actual place. Rutgers main campus is in New Brunswick. Rutgers is just the what they named the school. As metioned before it's called Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.

UAB is trying to move away from the UAB (to be out of the University of Alabama's shadow) However, the closest they've come is by having one baseball and one basketball alternate just say "Birmingham" across the front.

beat me to it.

it still annoys me when i hear Alabama-Birmingham

they have a section in their media guide devoted to WHAT to call them- what is acceptable and what is not

it's probably because of the Chapel Hill Campus's athletics popularity that UNC-Charlotte leaves "UNC" out for sports-- they want their own identity as a university.

yep.

it's always gonna be a part of the University of North Carolina system, but different groups here want it to be known as something different to make it stand out. it will always be UNCC to the locals. all these new folks wanna change it to sound more friviolus than it is. it's still primarly a commuter school, still stuck in lower-tier sports (see: rejecting football, again and the drop from SunBelt to Conference USA to wherever they've ended up), and unless they pickup the entire school and move it downtown, which some of these groups have also requested, it will be just a very nice college that doesn't get the attention their "movers-n-shakers" want.

the "name change" came with that logo redux about 2 or 3 years ago.

the logo revamp was a welcome change to promote the basketball program which is a very good group. they play in a great arena, Halton Arena on campus, a big step up from the original Charlotte Coliseum built in 1954. the team name reflects on the 1799 Gold Rush in NC (that pre-dates the Cali Gold Rush of 1848) in nearby Cabarrus County and is nestled between NC Hwy 29 and NC Hwy 49.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Archived