help identifying a logo

JBPerry

the team name  reflects on the 1799 Gold Rush in NC (that pre-dates the Cali Gold Rush of 1848) in nearby Cabarrus County and is nestled between NC Hwy 29 and NC Hwy 49.

If the gold rush was in 1799, why are they called the 49ers? You're not suggesting it could also be for NC Hwy 49 instead, are you?

Virginia Polytechnic and State University-Virginia Tech

Nothing wrong with that. The "Virginia" and the "Tech" derivation are both in there.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I never understood why Memphis State changed to Memphis.

To sound more private/prestigious to the uninformed. Most of the schools in the PA state university system (Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, Kutztown, Millersville, East Stroudsburg, etc.) dropped "State" about 20 years ago. Around here, Towson and Salisbury dropped the "State" 3-4 years ago. Many of the SUNY schools (Buffalo, Binghamton, Albany, Stony Brook, etc.) have joined the crowd as well, I just don't know when. The idea is that it will improve the image of the school and/or help admissions and fundraising. It is probably too early to tell if that is the case.

this is partly it...they also want to form a stronger connection between the city and university, and believe that athletics are the first step - from my understanding, there are many within the university who want to drop the "unc" altogether and become charlotte university or the university of charlotte or something like that

If that happened, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They would at least be consistent. What bothers me is the inconsistency.

Actually, UWM uses "MILWAUKEE" nomenclature on all their uniforms instead of the acronym...
UAB is trying to move away from the UAB (to be out of the University of Alabama's shadow) However, the closest they've come is by having one baseball and one basketball alternate just say "Birmingham" across the front.

That bothers me less. At least they don't appear to be insisting (not yet, anyway) that all references to the school (athletically, that is) ignore the UW or UA components of the name that still exist at this point. UNC Charlotte, on the other hand, makes no reference to the UNC part of the name. If UWM is in the NCAA bracket, the UW part is included, but that isn't the case with UNCCharlotte.

Well it would just be odd if Buffalo was referred to as Buffalo State, seeing as though there is a State College of the University of New York that has a Division III program that is known as Buffalo State. The way it seems to work in NYS is that if you are a State University of New York (Buffalo, Binghamton, New Paltz, Stony Brook), you don't use state and just use University. However, if you're a State College of the University of New York (Buffalo, Brockport, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting), you become Buffalo State or Brockport State in athletic competition.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

The way it seems to work in NYS is that if you are a State University of New York (Buffalo, Binghamton, New Paltz, Stony Brook), you don't use state and just use University.  However, if you're a State College of the University of New York (Buffalo, Brockport, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting), you become Buffalo State or Brockport State in athletic competition.

So, if I follow you correctly, there are two categories:

1. State University of New York

2. State College of the University of New York

That seems downright confusing. :wacko:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The way it seems to work in NYS is that if you are a State University of New York (Buffalo, Binghamton, New Paltz, Stony Brook), you don't use state and just use University.  However, if you're a State College of the University of New York (Buffalo, Brockport, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting), you become Buffalo State or Brockport State in athletic competition.

So, if I follow you correctly, there are two categories:

1. State University of New York

2. State College of the University of New York

That seems downright confusing. :wacko:

Yup, there are. The State Universities are bigger, and the State Colleges are the smaller ones.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Archived