Retired Numbers

rmered

I thought QBs were limited to 1-19 (after John Hadl was traded to the Packers, he had to give up 21 and wear 12). That is giving the Packers some problems, as of their five retired numbers:

3-Tony Canadeo

14-Don Hutson

15-Bart Starr

66-Ray Nitschke

92-Reggie White

three are QB/WR numbers. Add Brett Favre, inevitably, and that's four.

And a lot of Packer fans would like to see 5 retired for Paul Hornung. (When it was taken out of mothballs and given out, there were a lot of angry letters to the local papers.)

I say, just have basic limits - 50-79 and 90-99 for ineligible men (offensive linemen), all others for anyone else. I think I can figure the difference between Brett Favre and Michael Strachan.

(And bring back 0 and 00. Or retire them league-wide for Jim Otto and George Plimpton.)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I'm sorry, but Mark Messier is SO far better than Wayne Maki that you go out of your way to reward the accomplishments that Mark has done for the game.

And not to downgrade Maki's accomplishments, but most of them weren't done with the Canucks. And the main reason why his number was retired was due to his declining health and death while as a Canuck. I mean, really, who gets a retired number with career numbers of:

246 games played, 57 goals, 79 assists, 136 points, and 184PIM.

Retired numbers are retired for a reason, and it requires something more special than the reward to unretire them. Messier was clearly one of those times since no one is ever going to buy a Messier jersey with any other number on the back. 11 is his identity so why rob him of it? But, like I said, Messier was a special reason and not the case of every team in the NHL or pro sports.

#11 was never actually retired by the Canucks. It was only unofficially not worn out of respect for him. That being said, I can understand why people were a bit miffed that they did that for Mess when he came here, but at the time, mess was supposed to be the saviour of the Canucks, so they gave him what he wanted, and I suppose in the end, it wasn't a big deal.

For the record, the Canucks only have one retired number thus far, and that is Stan Smyl's #12. I imagine we'll be seeing Trevor Linden's #16 hanging alongside it in the rafters at GM Place one of these years too.

Plus if it were up to me, Pavel Bure's #10 would be up there with them. :hockeysmiley:

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

I know that the Lakers have a strict number retirement policy, and it's that the player has to be in the Hall of Fame. They have six numbers retired plus a banner for the late great Chick Hearn:

13-Wilt Chamberlain

22-Elgin Baylor

25-Gail Goodrich

32-Magic Johnson

33-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

42-James Worthy

Microphone-Chick Hearn

Plus, to honor the Minneapolis teams, they have a banner featuring coach John Kundla, Vern Mikkelsen, Slater Martin, Clyde Lovellette, George Mikan and Jim Pollard. And, they have a single banner honoring the five titles they won in the 50s, which is kinda cheap IMO. Mikan should have had his #99 hanging seperately along side Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Elgin, and the rest a long time ago. Any Laker fan with a sense of history should already know who Mikan was.

I'm sorry, but Mark Messier is SO far better than Wayne Maki that you go out of your way to reward the accomplishments that Mark has done for the game.

And not to downgrade Maki's accomplishments, but most of them weren't done with the Canucks.  And the main reason why his number was retired was due to his declining health and death while as a Canuck.  I mean, really, who gets a retired number with career numbers of:

Retired numbers are retired for a reason, and it requires something more special than the reward to unretire them.  Messier was clearly one of those times since no one is ever going to buy a Messier jersey with any other number on the back.  11 is his identity so why rob him of it?  But, like I said, Messier was a special reason and not the case of every team in the NHL or pro sports.

#11 was never actually retired by the Canucks. It was only unofficially not worn out of respect for him. That being said, I can understand why people were a bit miffed that they did that for Mess when he came here, but at the time, mess was supposed to be the saviour of the Canucks, so they gave him what he wanted, and I suppose in the end, it wasn't a big deal.

For the record, the Canucks only have one retired number thus far, and that is Stan Smyl's #12. I imagine we'll be seeing Trevor Linden's #16 hanging alongside it in the rafters at GM Place one of these years too.

Plus if it were up to me, Pavel Bure's #10 would be up there with them. :hockeysmiley:

Simple Vancouver Math:

Kirk McLean > Pavel Bure.

What about "unofficial' retired numbers, such as Pittsburgh's 12 and 32?  Anyone remember the last time these numbers were seen on the field?  They've given out 82, 86, 88, and 20 so why not 12 and 32?

If the number isn't "officially" retired, why hold it back?

The case you cite is a little unique though, in that Wide Receivers are restricted to 80-89 and, with league permission, numbers in the teens. By contrast, backs (QB, RB, etc.) can utilize any number between 1-49, leaving a lot more "wiggle room" for such things.

Uhhh, no....I wasn't referring to that at all.

I was referring to the fact that since Bradshaw and Franco retired, their numbers have not been seen on the field since, nor have they been "officially" retired. Yet the numbers of Blier, Swann, Stallworth, and I forgot who wore 86 back then.

Has nothing to do with "restrictions" or such, but rather why 12 and 32 haven't been seen on the field in years for Pittsburgh.

sig1.gif

I thought QBs were limited to 1-19 (after John Hadl was traded to the Packers, he had to give up 21 and wear 12). That is giving the Packers some problems, as of their five retired numbers:

3-Tony Canadeo

14-Don Hutson

15-Bart Starr

66-Ray Nitschke

92-Reggie White

three are QB/WR numbers. Add Brett Favre, inevitably, and that's four.

And a lot of Packer fans would like to see 5 retired for Paul Hornung. (When it was taken out of mothballs and given out, there were a lot of angry letters to the local papers.)

I say, just have basic limits - 50-79 and 90-99 for ineligible men (offensive linemen), all others for anyone else. I think I can figure the difference between Brett Favre and Michael Strachan.

(And bring back 0 and 00. Or retire them league-wide for Jim Otto and George Plimpton.)

actually, Hadl switched back to 21 for his second and last season in green and gold...I think he only switched to 12 cus when he arrived someone else had 21.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I wanna see players waering triple digit #s. Do you know how well a Terrell Owens #181 jersey would sell? :P

a guy wore #101 in a state Aussie Rules league (SANFL or WAFL)....he said he wouldn't sign unless he could have #101 so they gave him #101...dont know how well itd fit on the back of the guernseys

101, eh? I recall a fella on Chivas (the real Chivas, not the MLS Chivas) began wearing #100 in honor of his hundredth match or something

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I just wanna add that the Rams did a wonderful thing when they moved into the dome in their first year here in St. Louis.

They have a Ring of Fame or a Ring of Honor (dunno what it's called), and it features both the great LA Rams (and perhaps Cleveland, but I'm not sure, nor am I sure they're were any well known ones) and the great St. Louis football Cardinals. In due time of course, some St. Louis Rams will be added to the Ring (Faulk, Bruce, and hopefully Warner probably aren't too many years from having their names and number up there).

I have no problem with retired numbers in baseball/basketball/hockey. Football, I'd like to be okay with, but I realize the problem at hand, so I'll let the Ring Of Honor thing be if they have to keep all their numbers in circulation.

What I don't like is what's been mentioned: Retiring #x+1 where x represents players on a field "for the fans!" So lame. I'm iffy on the #42 thing. I understand his significance, but it makes it impossible for anyone to pay tribute to him on teams like the Mariners, Rockies, and other teams. They got away with retiring 42 because it's a high enough number that it's not traditionally worn. If Robinson wore 8 or 16 or 25 it wouldn't be retired leaguewide. Anyway, I think 42 should only be retired by the Dodgers and the Mets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Players swap fairly regularly, and quite possibly one of the league greats will come to that team and expect 'his' number.

Let's say Parcells gets sick of Keyshawn Johnson and trades him to Indianapolis as a receiver for Manning.

"Sorry, Keyshawn buddy. 19 is, was and will always be Johnny Unitas."

Or Tom Brady gets an offer he can't refuse from Divisional rival Miami.

"'cept there's one thing there Tom, you see, we kinda had this deal with Bob Griese about number 12". "And no, you can't have 13 neither".

Or this scenario:

"Yeah. Peyton, we'd love you here in Denver buddy, but we retired 18 for Frank Tripucka some time back".

In these days of marketing and branding, those players ARE their numbers.

The Ring of Fame/Honour/Fire sounds ideal, but doesn't sound like many teams are doing it.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Players swap fairly regularly, and quite possibly one of the league greats will come to that team and expect 'his' number.

Let's say Parcells gets sick of Keyshawn Johnson and trades him to Indianapolis as a receiver for Manning.

"'cept there's one thing there Tom, you see, we kinda had this deal with Bob Griese about number 12". "And no, you can't have 13 neither".

Or this scenario:

"Yeah. Peyton, we'd love you here in Denver buddy, but we retired 18 for Frank Tripucka some time back".

The Ring of Fame/Honour/Fire sounds ideal, but doesn't sound like many teams are doing it.

The only numbers that should matter to any athelte.

The Number of zeros to the left of the decimal on the check they receive!

The Number of championships they win!

Montana had that problem when he was traded to KC. #16 was retired for Len Dawson and #3 (he wore in college) was retired for Jan Stenerud. He chose #19. He didn't bitch that he couldn't have 16.

That's because Joe Montana is a class act who appreciates the history of the NFL and its various teams.

If somebody goes to a team and whines because their number is retired, then that person is just being a baby and not appreciating his new team.

Or this scenario:

The only numbers that should matter to any athelte.

The Number of zeros to the left of the decimal on the check they receive!

The Number of championships they win!

Some of the money they receive comes from merchandise, which is often tied to their number.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

And not to downgrade Maki's accomplishments, but most of them weren't done with the Canucks.  And the main reason why his number was retired was due to his declining health and death while as a Canuck.  I mean, really, who gets a retired number with career numbers of:

Retired numbers are retired for a reason, and it requires something more special than the reward to unretire them.  Messier was clearly one of those times since no one is ever going to buy a Messier jersey with any other number on the back.  11 is his identity so why rob him of it?  But, like I said, Messier was a special reason and not the case of every team in the NHL or pro sports.

Simple Vancouver Math:

Kirk McLean > Pavel Bure.

I see you failed math. :P

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

Or this scenario:

Manning is a guy who would respect that. Do you think he would be a baby about a retired number? Honestly?

Keyshawn Johnson....Johnny Unitas...hah

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived