Best moment in sports ever!

Saintsfan

Whats everyones favourite moment in sports ever, either watching or playing or both!

for me:

watching- watching the England soccer team beat Germany 5-1 in a world cup qualification match in Germany. England played germany off the park, great seeing how good an England team can be!

Playing- I wasn't ever all that good at playing many sports, but taking a hattrick (3 wickets in 3 deliveries) in a school cricket match rates highly! There were all pretty lucky though!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me this is hard, I've been there to see my team win there first championship (1995 Devils), I've been to game 7 in which my team has one a championship, (2003 Devils), and I've been there to see my team win one of the greatest world series games in history (Game 4, 2001 World Series, the first Yankees comeback with Tino). So I'll talk about all 3.

The Stanley Cup games, were for the most part blowouts. Game 4 in 95 against Detroit was 5-2, and this past game 7 was 3-0 but the Ducks didn't even show up the Devils dominated from the opening face-off to the final horn. But in those games you saw the excitement build up as the seconds ticked off, it got louder, and louder. 95, I don't remeber now because I was then now I'm 16. Plus, the game 7 just happened this june.

Unlike those 2 the world series game was anything but that. The Yankees took an early lead, but the D-Backs, came back to take a 3-1 lead. About the 8th inning the place was dead silent except for a few drunks behind me that were still cheering, into the 9th they played rocky and that got the place going somewhat, but still quiet. O'Neil was on base and the batter just before Tino struck out. Then they guy in front said Tino was going to it it out. The next pitch he did, game tied. The place exploided, you couldn't feel it on team. I thought the stadium was going to fall (Not really, but you get how loud the place got). The next inning, Jeter hit the game winning homerun, 7 rows infront of me. It was great. I'll never forget it. And by the way it broke my heart when the Yanks let go of Tino in the off-season, he didn't put up numbers but he came through in the clutch.

Though I'll post Game 4 of 95 as the best, since it was the first. There was a line of people outside who couldn't get in. There was the excitement. Everyone had there brooms or Cups. As the game went along the We Want the Cup chants keeped getting louder. Finally the buzzer blew and the Devils one, there were fireworks and everything. This year there wasn't that buzz since this was they're 4th finals, and 3rd Cup. Another reason why this is number 1, it happened 4 days after my b-day.

Watching: Joe Carter's home run (I was jumping like an 8-year old too, only difference was I was actually 8 years old), Bulls' last championship, etc, all rate highly, but they say you can't beat the thrill of being there, and watching Nikolai Khabibulin in the last days of the Jets will forever be one of my all-time highlights.

Playing: I don't know if it counts, but the basketball team I managed (I participated in practices, but never had a jersey or was officially on the roster except as manager) last year (my last year of high school) won the Provincial Varsity Championship. A thrill.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Watching- Hmm. Hmm. Maybe watching Terrell Owens make that catch against Green Bay in the playoff game a couple years ago at Lambeau. Nothing else really comes to mind. Watching my HS team win the State Championship last year has to be #1 though.

Playing- Modest moments, but I take pride in my 15 yard gain on the last play (and only carry) of my football "career"; and scoring 4 points in a basketball playoff game to cap off an 0-9 winless season. I had 2 total points in the regular season.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

watching: probably eitehr super bowl xxxi or adam vinatieri's FG in that blizzard a couple years ago...i was at home for XXXI and at a friend's party for vinatieri's kick(the game happened to be on there)

and a pie in teh lake statement coming from watching that one video too much, dude you can have stacey's mom, i'll take stacey :;):

my HS highlights are far between, mostly, so i'll just send in a couple:

deadlifting 400 pounds in my last powerlifting meet

JV All Stars(sophomore team full of junior and senior benchwarmers...we only won one game, but i consider that whole team a highlight) :D

the fumble recovery that is described somewhat under the cub

against a pass-happy rival that plays sort of like the rams, i read a developing play as middle screen, backpedaled and almost got an INT(pretty good considering i was a nose guard)...unfortunately, this team also was one of the rare HS teams with a real kicker, and since we had a POS offense, we lost by 2 :angry: and the 2003 edition of that matchup is this friday, i still haven't gotten over that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Watching:

2002, the Gold Medal Hockey Game: Canada vs. the United States. I was in a car for the firsst period, but it seemed that everyone we passed was also listening to the game on their radios. Once we reached North Bay, everyone was watching. We hit the first TV we could and never moved until long after the game ended. it may be more the feeling that the whole country was having one big celbration, but there was something electric about that game...it topped the Jays winning the World Series in 92 and 93. There haven't been many times that I've been cheering the home team (the curse of being a Montreal Canadiens fan in Ontario)

Top Sports Moment To Watch: Luis Gonzalez's game winning single against New York to win the World Series.

Top Sports Moment To Be A Part Of: I didn't play, I spent the entire game on the bench, but we had our first ever baseball tournament at our school. We'd won our first game to get into the championship game against a very good Northeast-Goose Lake team. We were down like 11-4 or 11-5 heading into the bottom of the 7th. We'd worked it to like 11-9 I think as we worked an amazing comeback. The comeback was capped with the bases loaded and our best home run hitter at the plate. He promptly launched what I think was a 2-2 fastball to deep center for a walk-off grand slam. It was awesome.

sig09.jpg

Playing?  Probably two years ago when I got a spare in the last frame at a Safe-Grad bowling party to lift my score to an even hundred and have the highest single of the night.  (Lame, I know)

Does pinball count?  The time I hit two Super Jackpots on the Street Fighter II pin was awesome.  And the first time I hit a billion on Tee'd Off.

Watching:

- Joe Carter, 1993...nuff said.

- Scott Young, Game 3 of the 2001 NHL Western Conference Finals.   Young scores in 2OT to win the game for the Blues and the building just exploded.  I've seen building explode in championship rapture, but this was the greatest for a regular playoff game.

- Game 4, Detroit vs. Anaheim, 2003...nuff said

- Game 6, Dallas vs. Anaheim, 2003...nuff said

- Game 4, Wild vs. Ducks, 2003...nuff said

- Game 6, Devils vs. Ducks, 2003...the entire five minute sequence leading up to Kariya's comeback goal. End-to-end-to-end-to-end scoring opportunities.  I said to my brother "If the Ducks score the place is going to explode!"  Sure enough, Kariya scores and the place goes wild.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

i thought of a few more I can include, very english though, so bear with me! But I was present for all of these not just watching on telly

1/ saw Alec Stewart, a very patriotic England cricketer, score a century on the day of the Queen mothers hundredth birthday, when hegot to 100 the whole crowd gave him as warm and enthusiatic a standingf ovation as you will ever get at a cricket match

2/ I was there when England beat South Africa in Alec Stewarts final match for England, on a warm sunny day, best atmosphere at a sports event I can remember, almost like a last day of school term!

3/ I saw England beat South Africa in a Rugby international 53-3. Not very memeorable for most people but I was there with a South African frioend, poor guy will never hear the end of it!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Watching: Being at Notre Dame stadium, tears flowing, as the Irish came back from 24-3 to beat the rival Trojans 25-24. Best part of it, aside from God giving us the wind in the third and fourth quarters, was watching Torjan hot-dog Chad Morton sink into the turf as we came back to win. Or the Irish comeback against Penn State in the snow bowl in '92. Or Clemens' 20k night versus the Mariners April 29, 1986.

Playing: Leading the Concordia University Intramural league in penalty minutes my Junior year, while still netting seven points (two goals/five helpers). Or the first-ever play switching from Left Offensive Tackle to Fullback, springing the running back for an 85 yard score while taking out two guys with one hit.

My greatest participatory sports moment...

My team, the Admirals, was in its first regular season in 1999-2000, after coming out of adult beginner school; I was captain of the team. We were... horrible. We started off losing our first nine games, with scores like 11-1, 9-0, etc.

The league we played in at the time, Hockey North America, ran a championship tournament for all of its cities. The 2000 tournament was in Toronto (well, Rexdale and North York). Included in this was a "special division"--first- and second-year teams that were having poor seasons would be invited up to play each other; they did this to make sure teams would continue, rather than just get frustrated and break up. The registration for the tournament was covered as part of the league fees for anyone who made it to the tournament, including the special division.

Since we were so bad, finishing 4-16-0 on the season, they invited us to the tournament. We decided to go for it, and headed up to TO to play.

Now, I'd never played in a touranment before. So, the prospect of possibly playing five games in three days was... staggering. Add to that the fact that we only ended up bringing ten skaters and a goalie, meaning we'd be going every other shift the entire weekend. And, of course, we'd only won four games all year (granted, there were a couple teams in the division from other cities that had won no games at all).

Anyhow, we went 3-0 in round-robin play, then won a Sunday morning semifinal to set up a final against a physical team from Providence, who we'd beaten in the first game of the round-robin. The Providence team had to go to overtime and a shootout to win their semifinal, and were noticably tired coming out.

Now, I didn't grow up playing sports. So, I'd never been on the rink/field/court/etc for the anthems before. But the tournament had someone singing both anthems before the game, while we were lined up on the blue lines. I was absolutely pumped to play when they were done.

In all four previous games, the other team had scored the first goal on us, and we'd come back. In the final, after one period, we had a 4-0 lead. It got to 5-0, then things changed--Providence got their second wind, and we panicked.

With 4:00 left in the third period, Providence scored to tie the game, 7-7. We were shellshocked.

But, with 1:30 remaining, one of our guys scored to make it 8-7. This was his fifth goal of the game, and eleventh of the tournament! I was on the bench, and nearly jumped clear over the boards with excitement.

Of course, it was then my shift. I was playing left D, and the bench was on the right side of the rink. We played frantic D--get the puck, carry it over our blue line, dump it down (aim fo r the empty net), regroup. Everyone else got a chance for a line change in that time, but I kept getting stuck on the ice.

I remember getting tied up with one of their wingers right at the end, we exchanged a couple slashes, and the buzzer went off. I turn around, and my goalie is halfway out of the zone already, ready to basically tackle me since I was closest to him. Sticks were all over the ice, it was a mob scene. The feeling was incredible.

And, that team is now immortalized in the Hockey Hall of Fame. They have an electronic North American Team Photo Album exhibit there, and you can send pictures in to be included. So I did.

And there we are.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Watching- Has to be Game 3 and 4 when Brosius and Martinez hit home runs with 2 outs in the ninth to tie the game and then eventually win.

Playing- I was in 4th grade at a catholic school in town and was on the Basketball team.  Now my team was awful that season we didn't win a game.  We were playing our biggest rivals N.C.C.S. Monarchs and we were losing pretty big.  But there was about 9 seconds left in the third quarter when they hit the shot.  So we rushed over and now with about 5 seconds left I got the ball and was bringing it up court then the bench started screaming 3-2-1 and right as I reached half court I launched a prayer that some how managed to go in.  Then my teammates rushed the court after it and I remember one of my teammates asking What Happened?

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Watching.. 2002 gold medal... hands down...

Playing... My first league championship in hockey... we were the 8th seed and upset everyone through the playoffs...coincidentally enough Collen Systorics (sp?) gold medalist in 2002 played on the team we beat in the finals....she played on a guys team... saw her two years ago at the CIS womens finals that I was working at we discussed that year... she still holds a grudge although i offered my championship plaque for her medal...lol...

My second league championship.. the following year we were teh team to beat we only lost 3 games all year... all the way to the finals... game 4 best of 5 in their barn... we shorten the bench early on the third so im playing every second shift as the first line center... they are up by one... with 59 seconds left they take a penalty in their zone.. we pull the goalie... 6-on-4... we are peppering the gaolie with shots finally scored with 0.4 seconds on the clock... we are going to OT... double overtime with a  short bench is a pain in teh ass... lol...   we won with 54 seconds left in the 2 OT... man did we party that night up

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Watched - June 22, 1994 - USA-2 Colombia-1 World Cup Soccer. I had been to a lot of major sporting events, but this was the first time I was absolutely awed by the atmosphere of an event. From start to finish and even well into the night it was an amazing time. I remember turning to my friend after Andres Escober (R.I.P.) got the own goal and joking "If I was him, I wouldn't go back to Colombia". Guess I called that one right, though I wish I hadn't...

Played - While I've played a lot of games in a lot of sports, nothing really jumps out as the "greatest ever". I can remember a few individual moments here and there, but not much else...

Playing:

1. In 7th grade intermural baseball turning an unassisted Triple Play.

2. Hitting a Wiffle Ball into a Moving PIckup truck for a HR.

3. In gym class blocking a screen pass on the goaline and catchng it and returning it the length of the field for a TD.

4. Blocking 2 people into each other to clear the way for a kickoff return for a TD.

Watching

1. Gets BY BUCKNEER!!!

2. Rangers finally win Cup 1994.

3. Stephan Matteau wisn Game 7 of Eatsern Finals.

4. Bucs Win Super Bowl XXXVII

5. Dan Marino fake spike play beats Jets in 1994.

6. Bucs beat Eagles in NFC Championship

7. Giants beat Bills Super Bowl XXV

8. Devils beat Ducks 2003 Finals

9. Devils beat Stars 2000 Finals

10. Christian Laettner hits game winning shot 1992 Regional Finals.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

2. Rangers finally win Cup 1994.

3. Stephan Matteau wisn Game 7 of Eatsern Finals. .....

8. Devils beat Ducks 2003 Finals

9. Devils beat Stars 2000 Finals

What are you a Devils fan or a Rangers fan??

If you're a Devils fan under no, zero, circumstances, can you have those first 2. None at all, that's treason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're a Rangers fan, you can't have the last two.

If your a fan of one team, your rivals beating you or winning the championship can't be on your great moments.

And for the record those first 2 you had sucked and were in no way great. The last two were great.

Watching: The Joe Carter home run was awesome I almost put a hole in the floor jumping so much.

Playing: Winning championship my first year on five different teams in five different sports, and going to training camp for the Dallas Despardos

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

i'm gonna chime in with a not-so-great postgame moment: before the game where i almost got a pick, i was going to the mall and these two idiots from the school we were playing were on already, so we had some words, went our separate ways...after the game, being pissed that we lost, i remember dude started talkin plop, so i grabbed him by his shirt and sort of slammed him against the payphone (and i probably lifted him off the ground a little)...i was this close to wailin on that mug...this close.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Watching:

- Wings vs. Blues, Game Seven, 1996 Western Conference Semifinals

- Wings vs. Avs, 3/26/1997

- Wings vs Ducks, Game Two, 1997 Western Conference Semifinals (Kozlov scores in 3OT)

- Wings vs. Flyers, Game Four, 1997 Stanley Cup Finals

- Tigers vs. Royals, 9/27/1999 (Last Game at Tiger Stadium)

- MSU Spartans vs. U-M Wolverines, 10/6/2001 ("Cold War" hockey game)

- Wings vs. Avs, Game Six, 2002 Western Conference Finals

- Wings vs. 'Canes, Game Three, 2002 Stanley Cup Finals

Playing:

- A hole-in-one when I was 11 years old, on a hole I had just told my dad was my lucky hole, to which he replied that I didn't play enough to have a lucky hole

Archived