Decals shouldn't look like cheap stickers

slats7

Um, we discuss vintage helmets and uniforms all the time. In fact, I see a thread devoted to the 1976 Orioles. Are THEY wasting your precious time too?

While the rest of this thread has turned out to be interesting and educational about helmets in general, I think we're all still waiting for more recent pictoral examples of the original complaint. Because, frankly, complaining that decals are being done wrong, then showing a picture from twenty years ago as evidence, is just ludicrous.

I never claimed that modern decals were as sloppy. Discrimihater did:

"most helmet decals have that, at all levels. the wings on my 8th grade and sophomore helmets had it"

Want pictoral evidence? Get it from him.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never claimed that modern decals were as sloppy.

Uhh...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=458027

slatscaught.png

d'oh!

The lesson for today, boys and girls -- be careful what you commit to writing.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

[Off the original topic] Except that this photo shows that Roman Gabriel DIDN'T have a black outline on his helmet:

73Was_at_Phi.jpg

while this one shows Norm Snead WITH one (and Snead wasn't with the Eagles in 1973):

70Snead.jpg

Sec19Row53 - I did get a chance to look at your photos last night, nice job finding them. I think this something that is never going to be answered. If the wings were still painted on when they used the white helmets, maybe they came from Riddell one way and the equipment managers touched them up the other way?

As I mentioned earlier, perhaps the only way to definitively answer this question would be to go through every color game film of the Eagles from 1970-1973 shot by NFL Films - assuming they still exist.

A couple of points about football helmet decals.

- The decals used on most football helmets are generally 20 mil vinyl

- The "extra: (so-called halo) clear vinyl that outlines the perimeter is known as the "cut line". This is the line that the die cutting machine references and follows.

How far the cut line is away from the actual design it contours can be adjusted, but it seems to be around 1/8" on most football decals I've seen (the Danny White one seems to be slightly wider than this).

I personally would prefer to see it no more than 1/16", but I suspect that it is generally set a little wider to provide more margin for error for accidentally cutting into the design caused by imprecise "registration".

- I'm not sure when clear vinyl decals became common on football helmets. They did replace the thin paper-like ones used previously due to significanly increased durabilty.

If anyone knows when heavy clear vinyl was first introduced on football helmets, it would be interesting to know (My guess is around the mid to late 1970's???)

Um, we discuss vintage helmets and uniforms all the time. In fact, I see a thread devoted to the 1976 Orioles. Are THEY wasting your precious time too?

While the rest of this thread has turned out to be interesting and educational about helmets in general, I think we're all still waiting for more recent pictoral examples of the original complaint. Because, frankly, complaining that decals are being done wrong, then showing a picture from twenty years ago as evidence, is just ludicrous.

I never claimed that modern decals were as sloppy. Discrimihater did:

"most helmet decals have that, at all levels. the wings on my 8th grade and sophomore helmets had it"

Want pictoral evidence? Get it from him.

one could get pictoral evidence from just about anybody who plays or coaches football, or has done either at some point since the early 80s at the latest...or the folks who make the decals...or even any Joe who collects helmets for a hobby. As I said, that cut line's there on nearly all helmet decals, though if you only notice it from close up, the decal guys have done their job. hell, I remember seeing wehre you can order a team's decals a few years back...and those would probably have it.

oddly enough, my junior year we used a white-gold-whtie stripe on the helmets, and it didn't have that cut line. even stranger, at the end of the season when we stripped our helmets of all logos and striping, the stripes came off easy enough but we found there'd been a :censored:up with the eagle heads when we peeled those off. the adhesive used was a little TOO sticky...the adhesive was still on the helmet, as was most of the logo's gold :blink: one of the weirdest things I ever saw.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Click:

12-17-05%20Anderson%20fighting%20off%20tackler%20EBsmall.jpg

12-31-05Fumble_recsmall.jpg

Interesting. I see the 'halo' on the Broncos, but not the Bills. Wierd.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

bills = prob on white base vinyl and not clear = white border outline.

same as my Panthers.

as for the DEN helmet... it is on clear to allow the blue helmet to show thru for the horse accents.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Archived