I had forgotten about these monstrosities

BRice16

I honestly like it better than the Steelers knockoff as well. It's very different. If the HAWKEYES script and the logo were removed, this would be a great jersey to wear today. It also might work if the pattern on the white jersey were just black instead of yellow outlined in black.

I agree. If they wore this instead of the Steelers clones they currently wear, I think they would look more distinctive than they do. Call them "monstosities" if you want to but their light years better than the "Bronco" stripes, the BYB bibs, the Oregon Ducks, Miami U., and many other Nike inspired nightmares that currently squat the market.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Kinda reminds me of the "wings" on the shoulders of another Iowa team...The Barnstormers of the AFL:

buc-warner.jpg

Those uniforms were classic. .. especially the helmets. Without a doubt the best Arena uniforms ever.

6uXNWAo.png

Am I the only one that thought (thinks) those Iowa jerseys are tryign to be more "retro" than futuristic?

oldplayer.gif

Some old football jerseys had these vertical lines as well as the horizontal ones similar to the bannana peel ones worn by Iowa.

I always liked them and yes the pants were ahead of their time. . .

I wish I had confirmation that they were designed to look a bit more old school with a new school twist. . .

fade.gif

I preferred these, which appeared after the APEX and before the return of the Steeler-copies:

psudwight.jpg

Timkick.jpg

tavianbanks.jpg

Still derivative of the Steelers look, but with a Tigerhawk on the sleeve stripes, IOWA clearly in block on the front, and a gold outline around the numbers and letters. Iowa's best look, IMO. (I like the Steeler-copies, but they're the Steelers unis.)

If memory serves, the Hawkeyes wore the Steelers' copies from 1979-1993, the APEX wonders only in 1994 and 1995, the Reebok IOWA jerseys above from 1996-1998 and then back to the Steelers from 1999-present.

Those are nice, but the numbers should be yellow with either no outline, or a white outline. I'd also make the "IOWA" a little smaller, and go with the standard block numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually liked that Minnesota jersey. Maybe the Ms could be a little smaller, but the concept was really cool.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

min003f.jpg

min003b.jpg

For those wondering what the Minnesota jerseys looked like. And I can see someone doing an update of that Iowa jersey and making it look totally :censored:.

Believe it or not, these looked worse strapped to a 300-pound lineman.

Archived