AHL to return to Worcester

Dilbert

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of curious how this plays into our previous argument about which towns are best bets for NHL franchises when Cleveland has now lost an IHL and AHL franchise within a decade.

Right Worcester Ice Cats became the Peoria Rivermen

Apparently Cleveland Barons who were rumored to move the past couple of seasons will move to worcester and become the Sharks

The IceCats dissolved and the Rivermen were promoted from the ECHL and became the Blues' primary affiliate. They were a franchise all along, they just changed leagues.

mainescarf.png

I never like the idea of the minor leagues wearing the same uniform design and/or colors as their major league affiliates. They should be original like the Chicago Wolves (as compared to the Atlanta Thrashers).

I'm sure the fans of the Houston Aeros would agree with that statement. They had their own unique identity and colors and then it was re-colored to match the Wild and the now odd-colored logo was slapped on a Wild jersey. The only orginality was the military font chosen for the names and numbers.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Worcester and Lowell should have AHL hockey. I'm kind of tired of the big cities now having a minor league team as well as Pro. (Philadelphia, Chicago, now Toronto)

I'm sad about Cleveland but I think it should be in the NHL. But it sounds like it can't field it.

I might be shunned by some but I liked it when the AHL was just the Maritimes and the Northeast. It was less produced and more old time hockey.

The Worcester Sharks will utilize the same colors of the NHL franchise (deep Atlantic teal, gray, burnt orange and black) and the current logo (the world-famous menacing Shark chomping through a hockey stick).

Yes, because when I think Eastern Seaboard, I'm definitely picturing teal, silver, and black. Have these people ever been to Worcester? The only colors there are snow white and brick red. And gray, because every time I've been through there, the sun has been mysteriously absent.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Kind of curious how this plays into our previous argument about which towns are best bets for NHL franchises when Cleveland has now lost an IHL and AHL franchise within a decade.

And they lost the Cleveland Barons that already played in the NHL in the '70s.

Apparently Cleveland Barons who were rumored to move the past couple of seasons will move to worcester and become the Sharks

The IceCats dissolved and the Rivermen were promoted from the ECHL and became the Blues' primary affiliate. They were a franchise all along, they just changed leagues.

This after they moved from the IHL to the ECHL.

True.

But since Gary's wants the NHL to be the NBA, we'll have to put up with the drivel of Cleveland being deserving of a team.

And they once lost the Cleveland Browns that played in the NFL for forever.

I'm just saying...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And they once lost the Cleveland Browns that played in the NFL for forever.

I'm just saying...

I believe that was an entirely different situation

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This after they moved from the IHL to the ECHL.

Ok, time for some Peoria hockey history.

The IHL franchise moved from Peoria to San Antonio before the 1996 season and became the Dragons; they folded in the late 90s

The IHL franchise was replaced with an expansion ECHL franchise in 1996.

During the 2004 season the owners of the ECHL Rivermen bought the AHL Worcester Icecats franchise from the St. Louis Blues so they could move the franchise to Peoria for the start of the 2005 season. They folded the ECHL franchise at the end of the 2004 season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I might be shunned by some but I liked it when the AHL was just the Maritimes and the Northeast.  It was less produced and more old time hockey.

Shunned? No. I've seen a lot of that crap since the AHL got the I-6(The 6 members of the IHL who survived the folding of the league).

Hey, I'd rather still be in the IHL, but I can take it if you can.

And I love my team's unique look. It looks nothing like our parent club, the Nashville Predators.

101095.jpg

However, there is a lot of talk that the colors and the logo will change, but they will NOT be the same colors as Nashville.

That's good now that Worcester has team (Yet another sap for Iowa and Omaha to beat up on, heh heh).

But, why would they just, for a lack of a better term, jack the parent club's logo? Be creative and create a new look with the nickname being the theme and having the colors you chose. You would still have that link to the parent club, but you'd also have your own idenity to go with.

I'm not sure if Cleveland could support an NHL team or not- but I wouldn't base my judgment solely on the success of its previous franchises.

The old 70's Barons are a unique situation, folding at a time when other hockey teams were also struggling- and it didn't help that they played in the Richfield Coliseum, about 45 minutes outside of Cleveland (the Cavs, who also played a Richfield, almost folded/left town at this time as well). It was asking a lot of people to drive all that way for a hockey game in what is essentially the middle of nowhere, when compared to the downtown area of a city.

I'm also not sure that the success or failure of a minor league team in a given city is a good indicator of the potential success of a pro team- especially in a sports market like Cleveland, which is already saturated with pro teams in 3 other sports.

There are hockey fans in Cleveland, and it's pretty big at the high school level, but how an NHL team would fare here remains to be seen. Regardless, I think it's pretty much a moot point now that the Blue Jackets are in Columbus.

if lowell moves where do they go????

My 3 picks in odrer:

1. Quebec

2.Hailfax

3.Orlando

Orlando was listed as a potential city, along with Baltimore.

I wouldn't look to the AHL to go back to the Canadian Maritimes. A team would have to have a lot of money to afford to travel. That's a reason the St. John's team folded, they had to fly or cruise everywhere. The closest rival was Portland, once the Saint John Flames folded and sent its players to Lowell.

Once the IHL teams were absorbed into the league, the travel grew considerably. At the time, the furthest teams were St. John's, NFLD and Saint John, NB to the northeast, Louisville and Kentucky (Lexington) to the southwest, Cincinnati and Cleveland to the east, and Hamilton/Quebec to the north (my time frame might be a bit off).

No matter how extremely far in a direction a team was, there always was a close rival within a 2 hour drive). But once the IHL teams entered the league, the compass pointed way out west to Houston, Utah (Salt Lake City), Chicago and Winnipeg. Teams had to fly to Houston and SLC. I know that Lowell did not want to play those far away teams, because they couldn't afford to travel themselves (part of a home-and-home agreement many teams share currently).

Since the IHL merge, teams continued to move out west. St. John's went to Toronto. Edmonton's affiliate went from Hamilton to Toronto, then to Edmonton. Calgary opened up shop in Omaha. St. Louis pulled out of Worcester for Peoria. San Antonio joined the league. Now travel is still far, but now you can make a circuit route and play a few different teams, instead of just one team.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

But, why would they just, for a lack of a better term, jack the parent club's logo? Be creative and create a new look with the nickname being the theme and having the colors you chose. You would still have that link to the parent club, but you'd also have your own idenity to go with.

Sees as the ownership is the parent club, they might have felt they could save some cash on logo design.

if lowell moves where do they go????

My 3 picks in odrer:

1. Quebec

2.Hailfax

3.Orlando

Quebec-didn't they "fail" in both the AHL and IHL? Also wouldn't the Remparts have something to say?

Halifax-again, major junior hockey team in the market; the AHL no longer has any Maritime teams so who would be the rival?

Orlando-rumor has it that discussions with the arena collapsed over lease issues a couple of weeks ago.

If Cleveland should ever have hockey again, the UHL would be the best bet

A minor league team in Quicken Loans would probably fail; given the track record of the UHL in Ohio, I'm not sure if it would work. The ECHL (with in-state rivals Dayton and Toledo) would probably be better than the UHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived