Rangers in white at home?

hoosier57

The having to pack two sets of jerseys argument against teams wearing white at home holds no water with me. How much space on a plane does 25 extra jerseys take up?

It's not just just 25 extra jerseys that need to be packed. It's the 10 extra spare jerseys along with the numbering/lettering supplies plus the 50 pairs of socks plus the 25 helmets that go along with the roster jerseys that take up room. Extra stuff to pack means more packing time which means more time to load the plane, clear customs, etc which all point to a later departure time. Hockey games usually don't end until 10:30 pm so the plane usually doesn't get in the air until after midnight. If the team plays the next night then this is less rest time and longer hours for the equipment manager who has to go to the next arena directly from the airport and start getting everything ready for the next game. An extra hour makes a big difference whether you believe it or not.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the home team wearing white, you see different colors every game, as different teams have different color road jerseys. This was supposedly the reason for switching to white at home in the first place.

Yes. Thank you Dallas Cowboys.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

With the home team wearing white, you see different colors every game, as different teams have different color road jerseys.  This was supposedly the reason for switching to white at home in the first place.

That may have made sense back in the Sixties, when most people had B/W televisions and they couldn't always see their team on the tube in the first place.

But it makes no sense now...you can turn on ESPN and see your team wearing something else.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

With the home team wearing white, you see different colors every game, as different teams have different color road jerseys.  This was supposedly the reason for switching to white at home in the first place.

That may have made sense back in the Sixties, when most people had B/W televisions and they couldn't always see their team on the tube in the first place.

But it makes no sense now...you can turn on ESPN and see your team wearing something else.

I fail to see why you think one argument is valid over the other.

I prefer the home team in white, you don't. There is not a correct answer, it is a matter of preference. For a fan who goes to games, I would rather see something different each game rather than it always be the same. TV is irrelevant, you can see home and road games on TV, so that cancels out anything to with it.

I still cant get used to the home NHL team wearing the dark jersey. I have grown so used to them wearing white over the years ( and I know in the old days the home team did wear the dark jerseys). I would think the team owners would like their fans seeing all the colored jerseys of the different visiting teams. I know that is why Model originally had the Cleveland Browns wear white at home.

Solution: don't have 3rd jerseys

Amen to that. Dark at home, light on the road, everyone's clear about what to put in the suitcase, and the fans all go home $200-300 richer for not shelling out for a jersey that gets worn every other odd-numbered Friday.

Vice-versa on home and road, though. But yeah, 3rds are useless. Even the best ones, like the Blackhawks', are just taking away usage of the white and red, which are even better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For a fan who goes to games, I would rather see something different each game rather than it always be the same.

Does that mean you are also against grey road MLB unis?

No, I am not. MLB has traditionally done the white/gray bit and I like that. Although I did like the A's old green and gold unis, and I loved the Padres Taco unis.

For a fan who goes to games, I would rather see something different each game rather than it always be the same.

No, I am not. MLB has traditionally done the white/gray bit and I like that. Although I did like the A's old green and gold unis, and I loved the Padres Taco unis.

But every game is white vs. grey... surely more boring than the colour vs. white you are complaining about in the NHL.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, in baseball it's not the uniforms we necessarily focus our attention on, but the hats. Right? In baseball, we agree that it's the hats the differentiate teams. White home/away gray is a given. It's the hats.

Football gives us variety in helmets and jerseys (and pants, to a degree).

In hockey, I think we all agree the focus is on the jerseys alone.

I fall on the side that would like the see the home team in white and the enjoy the variety of colors and designs that the different visiting teams bring in. When I was a kid in Minnesota, when the North Stars wore white at home (and looked great), I saw a new visiting team with new identity and colors at each game. I got my fill of the green North Stars road jersey watching games on TV.

I don't know, I just like the whites at home. It's just personal taste.

interesting - i would like to see it stay with home wearing dark personally

the flyers have been on the longest road trip in team history and have worn white every night - its nice to see their black jerseys at home, grown quite accustomed to it

worldchampsll1.png

Uhm. Are we going to have a thread every time a team does this?

Calgary, like Dallas, hates their alternate uniforms, and are wearing them on the road so they don't have to wear them at home.

It is mandatory in the NHL to use your alternate jersey for a certain number of games. And apparently Calgary doesn't want to look bad for the home crowd.

Toronto is the only team that wears white at home for a reason. Because their alternate happens to be white.

Calgary, like Dallas, hates their alternate uniforms, and are wearing them on the road so they don't have to wear them at home.

And unlike Dallas, the Flames alt was once their regular road jersey.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

But every game is white vs. grey... surely more boring than the colour vs. white you are complaining about in the NHL.

You need to watch more Cubs, Marlins, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Devil Rays, and Padres games. They wear the colored alternates more often than the grays and whites......

The Flames have worn these jerseys more then the required. They've worn them at home 3 or 4 times already, and 3 or 4 times on the road too.

They symbolize the dark years of the franchise as well as a fad from the last president, and the sooner (end of this year) the better that they get rid of them.

And yes, thanks to 9/11, the double amount of large equipment bags having to be inspected and clear customs when teams brought two sets on trips, the NHL made the change.

The league does have a set schedule for third jerseys that are worn throughout the season. Some teams post the schedule for their team wearing that shirt. I don't believe the league makes that information public as far as the whole league is concerned.

It is true MN will be wearing white at home on Saturday vs CAL because the Flames are wearing their third jersey. MN will also be wearing white vs CHI on January 20th.

With all of the discussion on this thread, the NHL will be making changes next season that will make most or some of you happy or disgruntled. Starting next season, teams will no longer have a third jersey and teams will be wearing white at home and dark on the road. These changes coincide with all thirty teams changing to the leagues "new" uniforms that includes jerseys, pants and socks.

I like the dark at home as well, 'cause I'm old enough to remember when that was the norm (late '50's to 1969-70).

Actually, the Ontario Hockey League has the best solution -- teams wear dark at home until and including New Year's Eve's, then white the rest of the way, including playoffs.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

When you see a home team wear white it usually means that it's a 1 game road trip for the team they're facing, or that team will be wearing the dark uniforms on the road the entire trip.

quoting myself, but wanted to point out that the flames were wearing the blacks again tonight while playing on the island... giving creedence to my theory above :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

When you see a home team wear white it usually means that it's a 1 game road trip for the team they're facing, or that team will be wearing the dark uniforms on the road the entire trip.

quoting myself, but wanted to point out that the flames were wearing the blacks again tonight while playing on the island... giving creedence to my theory above :)

Like I said, they are going to wear them the entire road trip, and then once more at home. Only reason they are keeping em around is so they can have a new one next year without have to go through all the steps in getting one again.

Archived