1976 Pillbox Hats

griffin128

i use to have the Pirates one when i was a kid. man i loved that hat.

I had both Pirates' caps - the gold with black stripes, and the black with gold stripes. I wish I'd bought them bigger; I outgrew them before I was out of grade school. I also outgrew my authentic Padres' gamer (with the gold triangle, and the orange eyelets) and Expos' pinwheel caps. Although the Padres' cap still fits my sister (6 7/8), so it's hers until I have kids of my own.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It was in honor of the NL Centennial, so it was only some NL teams. As mentioned above it was the Pirates, Philles, Mets, Reds and Cardinals. Additionally, the NL All-Star team wore a special NL Pillbox cap in the All-Star Game in 1976.

The National League Umpires also wore a pillbox cap in 1976. It was blue with white stripes and a white "76." Also, the National League All-Star team wore white pillbox caps that year. I think they had a red brim, red stripes and a blue "76."

the pirates wore theirs for the entire season (mustard caps only. the bright yellow caps and black caps would come out in 77).

the phillies only wore theirs in the first series of the year with the pirates at home. i think they were swept by the bucs, then ditched in favor of the normal caps for the rest of the season.

the cardinals wore their pretty regularly from may or so on.

the mets wore theirs occasionally.

the n.l. all-stars i think only wore theirs for photo shoots (team photo, mug shots, etc) but when the game was played, reverted to thier own team caps.

i seem to recall the expos wearing a white cap with blue stripes and a blue visor. can't say with certainty, though.

and, i think the giants wore one here & there as well.

and, as jm1266 says, the umps had the cap as he described.

1976 was also the usa bicentennial, and the caps were worn as much for the national bicentennial as for the senior circuit's 100th anniversary.

tb

Archived