Time for another Anaheim v. Angels thread

Gothamite

There is no problem with wanting to use a bigger cities name.  What next?  Is Landover going to demand a name change?  I can't wait to see the Landover Redskins.

Key difference -- the Redskins don't have a lease requiring the use of the name Landover. The Angels do have one requiring the use of the name Anaheim, however it isn't as carefully drafted as Anaheim's leaders would like.

Also, I'm pretty sure the folks in Landover understand and accept that their identity is tied to Washington, whereas the leaders in Anaheim are trying mightily to escape the massive shadow of Los Angeles. It is all a matter of perspective. I live in a suburb of Baltimore, but if anyone from outside Baltimore/DC asks me where I live, I tell them I'm from Baltimore (partly because they probably haven't heard of my hometown and partly because I recognize that my hometown is what it is because of its proximity to Baltimore).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

There is no problem with wanting to use a bigger cities name.  What next?  Is Landover going to demand a name change?  I can't wait to see the Landover Redskins.

Key difference -- the Redskins don't have a lease requiring the use of the name Landover. The Angels do have one requiring the use of the name Anaheim, however it isn't as carefully drafted as Anaheim's leaders would like.

And that's the problem. Anaheim's lawyers blew it. They even knew that they blew it, but didn't notice the gaping loophole until after the contract was signed. They then went back to Disney and asked to close it, but Disney (no fools) refused.

So I don't see how Anaheim really has a case - the Angels are in compliance with a poorly-worded contract.

I also agree that Anaheim likes to think of itself as a city separate from Los Angeles. Staten Island likes to think of itself as separate from New York City too (and historically, for the very same reasons, though that may not apply to either now). But wishing does not make it so.

Funny, talked to friend who grew up in New York City as a Giants fan. He swears that he, and many of his friends and family, become Bills fans after the Giants and Jets moved since they were a TRUE New York team. Bottom line, have a little pride in your city/state. Kudos to those who don't root for falsely named teams!

Let's not kid ourselves here... for those who have actually been to Anaheim (I've been there numerous times), it's a suburb in every sense of the word. It has no major downtown, and besides a couple theme parks, it blends into every other suburb in the area. So, nice try Anaheim... you're still Los Angeles' redheaded stepchild.

VmWIn6B.png

Does Anaheim not realize the town exist because of Los Angeles. Disneyland is there because it is an LA suburb. That's the reason why the Angeles and Rams had moved out there. Because it was an LA suburb and in the LA market.

And as others have asked How has this hurt Anaheim economically? More people are going to Angels game. Are less people going to Disneyland now because the Angels no longer have Anaheim in front of there name?

• 4 weeks later...

THE VERDICT IS IN:

According to KCAL news, the jury found that the Angels DID NOT violate the lease. Thus, the name can stay.

From CBS2.com:

After deliberating less than four hours, a jury Thursday decided that the Los Angeles Angels did not breach their contract with the city of Anaheim.

VmWIn6B.png

After deliberating less than four hours, a jury Thursday decided that the Los Angeles Angels did not breach their contract with the city of Anaheim.

wait, shouldnt it say the los angeles angels of anaheim didnt break their contract with anaheim lol.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

wait, shouldnt it say the los angeles angels of anaheim didnt break their contract with anaheim lol.

No they won the case which means everyone can now just ignore the Anaheim.

Archived