Another Devil Rays Name Change Thread

bosox

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I don't like teams from the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL duplicating nicknames (this includes the Giants, Cardinals, Kings, Panthers, and Rangers).

With that in mind, here's a list of the unique nicknames from the four major leagues:

• 49ers
  • 76ers
  • Angels
  • Astros
  • Athletics
  • Avalanche
  • Bears
  • Bengals
  • Bills
  • Blackhawks
  • Blue Jackets
  • Blue Jays
  • Blues
  • Bobcats
  • Braves
  • Brewers
  • Broncos
  • Browns
  • Bruins
  • Buccaneers
  • Bucks
  • Bulls
  • Canadiens
  • Canucks
  • Capitals
  • Cardinals
  • Cavaliers
  • Celtics
  • Chargers
  • Chiefs
  • Clippers
  • Colts
  • Cowboys
  • Coyotes
  • Cubs
  • Devil Rays
  • Devils
  • Diamondbacks
  • Dodgers
  • Dolphins
  • Eagles
  • Falcons
  • Flames
  • Flyers
  • Giants
  • Grizzlies
  • Hawks
  • Heat
  • Hornets
  • Hurricanes
  • Indians
  • Islanders
  • Jaguars
  • Jazz
  • Jets
  • Kings
  • Knickerbockers
  • Lakers
  • Lightning
  • Lions
  • Magic
  • Maple Leafs
  • Mariners
  • Marlins
  • Mavericks
  • Mets
  • Mighty Ducks
  • Nationals
  • Nets
  • Nuggets
  • Oilers
  • Orioles
  • Pacers
  • Packers
  • Padres
  • Panthers
  • Patriots
  • Penguins
  • Phillies
  • Pirates
  • Pistons
  • Predators
  • Raiders
  • Rams
  • Rangers
  • Raptors
  • Ravens
  • Red Sox
  • Red Wings
  • Reds
  • Redskins
  • Rockets
  • Rockies
  • Royals
  • Sabres
  • Saints
  • Seahawks
  • Senators
  • Sharks
  • Spurs
  • Stars
  • Steelers
  • Suns
  • SuperSonics
  • Texans
  • Thrashers
  • Tigers
  • Timberwolves
  • Titans
  • Trail Blazers
  • Twins
  • Vikings
  • Warriors
  • White Sox
  • Wild
  • Wizards
  • Yankees

(ain't databases wonderful???)

But, the best baseball venue in the whole Tampa Bay area, including Legends Field, is Bright House Field in Clearwater, home of the Phillies Spring Training and the A FSL Threshers.

You are very correct in this statement. I actually work for this stadium/team. I work in the box office selling tickets to Phillies Spring Training and Clearwater Threshers games.

Then how can you hook a brother up for the Phillies-Reds game on 3/12? :D:D:D

I brought this up in one of the previous threads about this, but I don't know why they just couldn't change to the Tampa Bay Stingrays. They could keep the "Rays" thing, and just come up with a new logo and uniforms. Oh, and of course, change the colors.

Personally, I don't like teams from the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL duplicating nicknames (this includes the Giants, Cardinals, Kings, Panthers, and Rangers).

Tampa Bay Expos?

The Tampa Bay Tiburons

You want to name them after a Hyundai? :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Would you call the Jets and Oilers duplicates or unique? ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

I think their uni set right now is top 5 in the league...I like the forest green caps and the alt is great. I bought each of them, as a matter of fact. They should just rename the team the Tampa Bay Rays and focus on getting a new stadium. That would help their marketing and image way more than a name change would.

I think their uni set right now is top 5 in the league...I like the forest green caps and the alt is great. I bought each of them, as a matter of fact. They should just rename the team the Tampa Bay Rays and focus on getting a new stadium. That would help their marketing and image way more than a name change would.

Aren't the Rays locked into a really nasty deal at Tropicana Field?

they are under contract to use Tropicana Field until 2028 (a 30-year deal from the inaugural season)

they are under contract to use Tropicana Field until 2028 (a 30-year deal from the inaugural season)

Wow. They have to play in that coffin of a baseball stadium for the next 22 years??? Wow.

So they couldn't even relocate if they wanted to? There has to be a way they could get out of this deal somehow.

So they couldn't even relocate if they wanted to? There has to be a way they could get out of this deal somehow.

The new owner has no thoughts of relocation, first and foremost, a new ballpark would be the first thing I'd try to get out of a contract and do.

The new owner has no thoughts of relocation, first and foremost, a new ballpark would be the first thing I'd try to get out of a contract and do.

Well yea, I know they want to stay in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area...it was more of a hypothetical situation...but there has to be a way they could buy out of the deal to stay in the Trop for that long.

Archived