Another Devil Rays Name Change Thread

bosox

Is there any MLB rule keeping them from changing their name from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to St. Petersburg Whatevers? It seems like it'd be really good for the franchise to start over from scratch with new uniforms, new logos, and a new name. I can't think of a more hapless franchise in the last 20 years of MLB, including the unfortunate Montreal Expos.

Is there any MLB rule keeping them from changing their name from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to St. Petersburg Whatevers?  It seems like it'd be really good for the franchise to start over from scratch with new uniforms, new logos, and a new name.  I can't think of a more hapless franchise in the last 20 years of MLB, including the unfortunate Montreal Expos.
Is there any MLB rule keeping them from changing their name from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to St. Petersburg Whatevers? 

Tampa is the city of Tampa.

Tampa BAY is the AREA including Tampa and St Petersburg.

For some reason, the people of St Pete will NOT allow any sports team not include the "Bay" in the name.

There's a real rift in this area between Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. For some reason, those damn bridges just create such a hassle... :rolleyes:

Anyway, as for all the changes:

- the name Rays works just fine, if u ask me. I would love for it to change to Sting Rays or something like that, but hey what do I know?

- i like the colors as well. not many, if any teams share the same colors.

- the uniforms, i like, but dont LOVE. i think there is SO much potential that isnt being used. Specifically the logo on the sleeve, shown here:

20050424WP_crawford_450.jpg

I just think that with the shape of the ray in the logo, our uniforms should be much more "modern".

- By the way, the huge fishtank idea is a great idea. I swear, these new owners are changing this franchise for the better. I cant wait for the future...

SigReflect.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will be hilarious if they switch to "Rays" meaning sun and they keep playing in a dank dome on a puke green carpet.

I'm all for keeping "Rays" and switching to Sunburn red and Sunshine gold as their color scheme and incorporating flames and what not into the mix....ok so I made up the color names....you get my drift....

Contract this...."

251799582_m.jpg

Like the Ray form graphic but can't stand it with the TB... too busy. Here is my quick fix:

1. Replace black with dark chocolate brown

2. Lighten green up a bit so that it is a dark kelly green

3. Remove Ray form from TB logo and rework the TB to be more pleasing (interlocking?)

4. NO double outlines for numbers/letters. Simply green with dark chocolate brown outline.

Like the Ray form graphic but can't stand it with the TB... too busy. Here is my quick fix:

3. Remove Ray form from TB logo and rework the TB to be more pleasing (interlocking?)

4. NO double outlines for numbers/letters. Simply green with dark chocolate brown outline.

you were goin good with 1 and 2....well, at least acceptable.

3 - NO interlocking. ANYthing that reminds me of the Yankees is unacceptable.

4 - double outlines work when used properly. See: my signature.

SigReflect.png

Personally, I don't like teams from the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL duplicating nicknames (this includes the Giants, Cardinals, Kings, Panthers, and Rangers).

Tampa Bay Expos?

The Tampa Bay Tiburons

You want to name them after a Hyundai? :P

My wife drives a Hyundai. :therock:

1. Odd thing is, a dark shade of brown just might work, maybe even a real dark shade of copper.

2. I agree

3. No to the interlocking, but a different TB isnt a bad idea.

4. I seem to like single outline in baseball, but the Bucs are an awesome example of good double outlines.

I still like the idea of changing the name from Devil Rays to Sting Rays.

But they do need to change colors.

I don't think they can with out paying some shlub $$$. If I remember correctly someone in the south registered the name Tampa Bay Sting Rays along with about 100 variations of the same so Rays is out as well. That is why they got stuck with Devil Rays I guess he missed one. My suggestion is drop Tampa Bay as the location and call them the Tampa Bays.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Personally, I don't like teams from the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL duplicating nicknames (this includes the Giants, Cardinals, Kings, Panthers, and Rangers).

Tampa Bay Expos?

The Tampa Bay Tiburons

You want to name them after a Hyundai? :P

My wife drives a Hyundai. :therock:

Not meant as a dig at the cars, just the name. Hyundai builds a decent car these days.

As for removing the roof, I am no architect ("you know I've always wanted to pretend I'm an architect"), but if they remove the roof, they mave be able to tear down the wall beyond centerfield (and eliminate the "cylinder") since there will no longer be a roof to support. I have no idea if it is integral to the rest of the exterior structure, but probably not in a way that would require the entire wall to stay up in its present configuration.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You know, it's really hot in Florida in the summer. If they tore the roof down, by the 4th inning of the first home game the fans will be wishing for air conditioning. The Metrodome is ugly too but Twins fans show up. Marlins fans don't show up for a winning team.

Once the Marlins change their name to the MIAMI Marlins or move, the Devil Rays should become the FLORIDA RAYS.

I like the color scheme myself.

Rays are black so black should stay.

Only one team has green as a primary color so green should stay.

The Blue could be brighter or changed to purple.

Go Florida Rays.

I cast you out Devil :cursing:

Everyone loves a roundel.

Maybe it is time for a team to go modern in baseball. Yes baseball has a rich history, but judging by the recent ASG practice jerseys, me thinks MLB wants someone to be the guinea pig in modern jerseys again.

As for colors:

Black, purple, jade, with a hint of orange

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

How bout as long as there's the Angels in LA/Ana and Padres in SD, the religious fanatics learn to live with their team being named after a fish with horns.

Ha ha...."Amen."

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Naimoli and Company were ready to go with "Tampa Bay Stingrays" until the mighty "Maui Stingrays" of the former Hawaiian Winter League churpped up and asked for millions for the trademarked name.

Since Vince Naimoli was not about to spend one more cent on this franchise, he opted for the stingray's close cousin, the devil ray, and POOF, the "Tampa Bay Devil Rays" were born.

I agree that the dark blue is needs to be lighter, like to sky blue or "Clearwater Blue."

As for the TB...I've always hated that abbreviation because of a certain disease sharing the same abbreviation. I would just go with an icon of a ___ray.

Cards.png

I don't think they can with out paying some shlub $$$. If I remember correctly someone in the south registered the name Tampa Bay Sting Rays along with about 100 variations of the same so Rays is out as well. That is why they got stuck with Devil Rays I guess he missed one. My suggestion is drop Tampa Bay as the location and call them the Tampa Bays.

USPTO.gov shows only "Tampa Bay Manta Rays" as anything differently registered, and that registration is (1) now dead and (2) was originally owned by the Devil Rays anyway.

Trademarks are very hard to squat, because you have to actually use them. Maybe you mean the domain name? Those were very easy to squat until Congress passed laws against it.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived