Another Devil Rays Name Change Thread

bosox

the dropping "DEVIL" from the teams nickname is an utterly useless waste of team and money. People take religion way to seriously if a team's nickname could offend them into not buying merchandise. its not like the team is promoting Satanism or any other none christian ideals. its just using the local ecosystem as its basis for the logo.

Heck, I'M a Christian...the name doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I follow the team, and would've liked to have gotten some merchandise...now I'll wait.

Still, I would have preferred Manta Rays or Stingrays...because they sound better, that's all...

(my H.S.'s nickname was the "Red Devils")

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the dropping "DEVIL" from the teams nickname is an utterly useless waste of team and money. People take religion way to seriously if a team's nickname could offend them into not buying merchandise. its not like the team is promoting Satanism or any other none christian ideals. its just using the local ecosystem as its basis for the logo.

Heck, I'M a Christian...the name doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I follow the team, and would've like to have gotten some merchandise...now I'll wait.

Still, I would have preferred Manta Rays or Stingrays...because they sound better, that's all...

(my H.S.'s nickname was the "Red Devils")

i still bewilders me that in the bible belt that DUKE gets away with using BLUE DEVILS. with out as so much of a peep out of the local bible thumpers.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

i still bewilders me that in the bible belt that DUKE gets away with using BLUE DEVILS. with out as so much of a peep out of the local bible thumpers.

hmmm ... maybe Bible Belt residents don't fit your convenient stereotype after all, huh?

hmmm ... maybe Bible Belt residents don't fit your convenient stereotype after all, huh?

umm i live in the state. they didnt want the Lotto here for two reasons..

1. it will bring the mafia.

2. its against god's ideals.

so i think i am aloud to make such a generalization being that i live in it on a daily basis.

so i think i am aloud to make such a generalization being that i live in it on a daily basis.

what i'm saying is maybe some of those right-wing crazies save their battles for worthwhile issues. gambling? ok. team names? not so much.

what i'm saying is maybe some of those right-wing crazies save their battles for worthwhile issues. gambling? ok. team names? not so much.

the guy that owns the local fox station wouldnt show Temptation Island because its against his religious beliefs. i bet if the team wasnt in the hunt for the national title year in and year out it would be the Duke Blue angels or something.

For some reason, people give Duke a pass because they weren't named for Satan (or whatever your religion calls the evil ruler of the netherworld) but for a French WWI army battalion. Ditto the New Jersey Devils, which most people know was named for a mythological creature, the Jersey Devil, who is reported to inhabit the Jersey Pinelands... again, not THE Devil, but "a" local devil. I say "most people" because some nutjob NJ Assemblyman looking for some facetime on the news was trying to interfere with the Devils getting their Newark arena built unless they cast the evil nickname to the bowels of infernal hell... or something like that. I ignored him.

Anyway, the biggest reason Duke and the NJ Devils get away with the "demonic" connection (even though neither team is named for the Anti-Christ, but for a group of French soldiers (:blink:?) and a local myth that preys on Pineys (probably a good thing as well, if you know Pineys... :therock:)) and the TB Devil Rays don't is... the Devil Rays SUCK. Honestly, they're not going to rename the oceanic creature that inspired the team name, nor will they rename the devilfish, deviled eggs, or devil dogs. It's a convenient excuse because the team sucks horribly on the field, and this is a justification for wiping the slate clean.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Interesting. Always wondered about the Duke nickname. Why Blue Devils? Did they wear blue?

They were called "Les Diables Bleus" [The Blue Devils]. According to this painting, they wore royal blue long coats. The nickname and colors were taken back to Durham and the rest is history. This was actually on Jeopardy! a week or 2 ago.

Les Diables Bleus [wikipedia.com]

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 2 months later...
Discussions are very much preliminary. Concepts have to be designed. Focus groups need to be convened. MLB officials have to be consulted. Procedures must be followed, including a March31 deadline to notify MLB of a possible change and details by May31. Decisions have to be made.

Does anyone know if the team has notified MLB of a possible change yet? The March 31 deadline is approaching.

Discussions are very much preliminary. Concepts have to be designed. Focus groups need to be convened. MLB officials have to be consulted. Procedures must be followed, including a March31 deadline to notify MLB of a possible change and details by May31. Decisions have to be made.

Does anyone know if the team has notified MLB of a possible change yet? The March 31 deadline is approaching.

Yep. I believe it's been in place for a while now.

Archived