Favorite Playoff Win

winters in buffalo

I swear this has been a topic before, but I searched up & down couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, in contrast to the 'hardest loss' thread, what's your favorite playoff victory?

Here are mine:

#1. The Comeback; Jan 3, 1993 - Bills 41, Oilers 38 (OT). Argueably the greatest playoff game ever. It wasn't a home sellout, so I had to listen on the radio. That didn't diminish the excitement one bit.

#2. April 10, 1993; MILL Championships - the only championship game I've ever attended. Bandits beat the Wings 13-12 in OT in front of a standing-room-only crowd to clinch their 2nd straight title. Freakin' electric, and to this date, the greatest sporting event I'v ever attended. :trophy:

#3. Jan 20, 1991 - Bills blowout the Raiders 51-3 to clinch their first Super Bowl appearance in a most convincing fashion.

#4. 1999 Eastern Conf Finals. - Sabres beat the Leafs to go to their first Cup Finals n 25 years.

#5. "May Day" - April 24, 1993 - Sabres end their playoff drought by sweeping the Bruins. Brad May scored in OT of game 4 to send the divsion champs home and the Sabres to the second round for the first time in 10 years.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you're gonna hate me for this, winters, but my favorite was that goal by Brett Hull to win the Stanley Cup. I'm not gonna start all the crease mess that a lot of fans on both sides talk about.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Believe it or not my #1 favorite playoff win is the 2000 NFC championship game-Rams over Bucs. When Proehl caught that TD pass my sisters said it sounded like a small explosion had just happened in the den.

#2 is Super Bowl XXXIV

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. Game 6 of the 1986 World Series

2. Game 7 of the 1994 Stanle Cup Finals

3. Game 7 of the 1986 World Series

4. Game 7 of the 1994 NHL Eastern Confernce Finals

5. Super Bowl XXXVII

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

1986 Browns vs. Jets Divisional Playoff. Down 20-10 with 4 minutes left Bernie Kosar leads the Browns comeback to tie the game and send it to OT where Mark Moseley of all people kicks the game winner in the 2nd OT. Browns win and all is great...for the next 6 days anyway.

1987 AFC Championship. Browns at Broncos. This one also made my "most gut wrenching" list but up until "the fumble" it was a great game to watch. I don't recall ever living and dieing with every play like I did in the 2nd half of that game. Yeah we lost but man it was a fun game.

1989 Divisional Playoffs. Browns vs. Bills. A shootout that the Browns won thanks to Ronnie Harmon of the Bills dropping a sure go ahead touchdown. Clay Matthews intercepts Jim Kelly game over. We're off to Denver...again.

Game 6 1997 ALCS Indians vs. Orioles. Tony Fernandez hits a HR in the top of the 12th at Baltimore, Mesa closes it out in the bottom half and the 1997 Indians are American League Champions. All is well in Indians land...for the next 10 days or so anyway.

Game 6 1995 ALCS. Kenny Lofton scores from second on a passed ball, The Tribe beats The Big Unit in Seattle and off we go to our first World Series since 1954.

Game 1 1998 ALDS. I am sitting 7 rows behind home plate at the Jake. Starter Dwight Gooden and Manager Mike Hargrove are both ejected in the 1st inning mostly because Joe Brinkman is an idiot. Dave Burba pitches a great game in "relief" (even though he basically started the game...I think there were no outs when Gooden got tossed) The Indians fall behind early but come back to beat the Red Sox. If memory serves, the Indians were the only team to win a game against The Yankees in the 1998 postseason. We lost the ALCS to them in 6.

1993 Bills vs. Oilers. "The Comeback."

BB52Big.jpg

Favorite Playoff Win for the Falcons: 47-17 drubbing of the Rams in the Divisional Playoff last year.

Favorite Playoff Win for the Braves: 1995 World Series win vs. Cleveland

Favorite Playoff Win for the Hawks: Can't even remember.

Here are mine:

Michigan Football:

1. Winning the 2000 Orange Bowl (because I was on that team)

2. Winning the 97 National title in the Rose Bowl

Patriots:

1. The Snow Bowl. I remember watching that game, and every emotion I had.

2. Last season's AFC title game in Pittsburgh, because I was there.

3. SB XXXVI.

Red Wings:

1. Kozlov's OT goal in 95 to send the Wings to the Finals for the first time in forever.

2. Yzerman scoring in double OT in 96 to beat St. Louis in game 7.

3. McCarty's goal in game 4 to clinch the cup against Philly.

4. Shanahan's EN goal sealing the deal against Carolina in 2002.

Pistons:

1. 04 Eastern Conference Finals- beating Indiana, because I was there.

2. 04 Game 7 v. the Nets, blowing them out. Huge party in the parking lot afterward.

3. 04 Beating LA. Game 5.

4. 05 Game 7 @ Miami.

Michigan Hockey:

1. Any regional at Yost.

spikes.jpg

NBA

Game 6 1997 NBA Finals - Bulls def. Jazz

Game 6 1998 NBA Finals - Bulls def. Jazz

Game 6 2003 West Semis - Spurs def. Lakers

Games 4 & 5 2004 NBA Finals - Pistons def. Lakers

College Football

2003 Fiesta Bowl - Ohio State def. Miami

2006 Rose Bowl - Texas def. USC

MLB

Games 5, 6 & 7, 2003 NLCS - Marlins def. Cubs

Game 6 2003 World Series - Marlins def. Yankees

Games 4, 5, 6 & 7 2004 ALCS - Red Sox def. Yankees

NFL

2004 NFC Championship - Panthers def. Eagles

NHL

Game 1 (or 2), 2002 Stanley Cup Finals - 'Canes def. Red Wings

Games 3 & 4, 2003 Stanley Cup Finals - Ducks def. Devils

Other than #1 (which I saw on TV), the other three rate high because they involved teams I like, and I witnessed them in person. But other games, like the last 2 Rose Bowls, and Laettner's buzzer beater v. Kentucky in '92 were enjoyable just to watch as a sports fan. That said,

#1: 2005 NCAA Men's Basketball final. After not having a team I live and die with bring home a title since 1983, my alma mater (and Roy Williams) beat Illinois. Rendered speechless for 5 minutes, followed by incoherent screaming on the phone and a live video feed from the best party thrown on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill in some time (and that's saying something, if you've ever been there on Hallowe'en, or after a big hoops win).

#2: 1993 NLCS Game 6. My uncle was a Phillies season ticket holder, and he gave me the other ticket for the night the Phillies clinched the pennant v. Atlanta. Veterans Stadium shook.

#3: 2001 NFC Divisional Playoffs. Eagles beat Buccaneers. And we got into a sold-out Vet Stadium by scalping tickets on our way out of the Flyers/Rangers game (Eric Lindros's 1st game in Philadelphia after leaving the Flyers) for less than face value. Great day of sports.

#4: 2001 NBA Eastern Conf. Semifinals, Game 7. 76ers beat Raptors. Loudest I've ever heard the Wachovia Center (First Union Center at the time), and a great game.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

1. 2004 World Series, Game 4

2. 2004 ALCS, Game 7

3. Super Bowl XXXVI

4. Super Bowl XXXVIII

5. Super Bowl XXXIX

Honorable mention: The Comeback; Jan 3, 1993 - Bills 41, Oilers 38 (OT). I came home in time to see the second half of that game. Wow. Also, that's the day Johnny Most died.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Cubs beating the Braves in atlanta to move onto the NLCS in 2003, then the Pacers beating the Knicks to go to the NBA finals in ...1999/2000?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived