Favorite Playoff Win

winters in buffalo

Edmonton Oilers:

- 2003 Western Conference Quarter-Final, game three vs. Stars at Edmonton.

- 1998 Western Conference Quarter-Final, game seven vs. Avalanche at Colorado.

- 1997 Western Conference Quarter-Final, game seven vs. Stars at Dallas.

Denver Broncos:

- 2006 AFC Divisional Playoff, vs. Patriots at Denver.

- 1999 Super Bowl XXXIII, vs. Falcons at Miami.

- 1998 Super Bowl XXXII, vs. Packers at San Diego.

New York Mets:

- 2000 NL Championship Series, game five vs. Cardinals at New York.

- 1999 NL Divisional Series, game four vs. Diamondbacks at New York.

- 1999 NL Wild Card Playoff, vs. Reds at Cincinnati.

teams-1.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL:

- 2003 Western Conference Quarter-Finals, Mighty Ducks vs. Red Wings, Game 4.

- 2003 Western Conference Semi-Finals, Mighty Ducks vs. Stars, Game 1.

- 2003 Western Conference Semi-Finals, Mighty Ducks vs. Stars, Game 6.

- 2003 Western Conference Final, Mighty Ducks vs. Wild, Game 1 and 2003 Eastern Conference Final, Devils vs. Senators, Game 1. (Made extra sweet in the fact that the two teams I loved most both won in OT hours apart, and my favorite Senator of all time Shaun Van Allen scores the OT winner, his only NHL playoff goal).

- 2003 Western Conference Final, Mighty Ducks vs. Wild, Game 4.

- 2003 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Ducks vs. Devils, Game 3.

- 2003 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Ducks vs. Devils, Game 4.

- 2003 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Ducks vs. Devils, Game 6.

MLB:

- 1992 World Series, Game 6. Nothing more ever needs to be said.

- 1993 World Series, Game 6. Nothing more ever needs to be said.

- 2005 World Series, Game 4. Before yesterday, I have never ever felt more nervous about a single game in my life.

NFL:

- Yesterday's Steelers/Colts game. If you think I was excited, you had to see my father, the lifelong Steelers fan.

- The 2003 AFC Wild Card game between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, where Cleveland was up by 12 with 5 minutes left in the game and Pittsburgh came back with unanswered points and won it.

AHL:

- 1993 Calder Cup Finals, Game 5. Before becoming president of the AHL, what team did Dave Andrews GM? Also...what ever happened to Bill McDougall?

QMJHL:

- 2002 Dilio Conference Semi-Finals, Game 3. Halifax has a 2-0 lead late in the second. Halifax gets a penatly. After a stoppage in play, the Screaming Eagles call for a stick measurement on a Halifax player, and he gets it. Eagles score a PP goal, then another. Then another goal after the PP ended. Three goals in a three minute span.

- 2002 Dilio Conference Semi-Finals, Game 6. Cape Breton ices it away.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

2002 AFC Divisional Playoffs Baltimore over Tennessee. Beating our former (current at the time) divisional rival was great. I'll always remember that INT returned for a touchdown.

1996 NFC Championship/Super Bowl Green Bay over Carolina/New England: Baltimore was new and not doing well and was still new. It was nice watching my other favorite (prior to the Ravens) win.

1997 Wildcard Playoffs Baltimore over Seattle: Beating Randy Johnson in one of his best years twice was great.

2002 National Championship Maryland over Indiana: Winning the first National Championship after years of great basketball.

1. 2003 NLDS Game 5 Cubs @ Braves - The first time in my life (probably most anyone else's too) that my beloved Cubs win a series. Kerry Wood dominated and I actually think the Cubs may be going to the World Series.

2. 1996 NBA Finals Game 6 Sonics @ Bulls - First title for the Bulls since Jordan's return and seeing Jordan cry after the game for his father on Father's Day always makes me cry.

3. 1986 Super Bowl Patriots v. Bears - Only a few weeks old at this time, but I have it on tape and it is the culmination of one of the best teams in modern NFL history. Too bad Payton doesn't score though.

4. 1986 NFC Title Game Rams @ Bears - One of the most dominating performances in the playoffs ever and Wilbur Marshall's TD return of a fumble when it starts snowing caps it all off.

5. 1992 2nd Round Campbell Conference Playoffs Game 4 Red Wings @ Hawks - Hawks sweep the Wings in four at the old Chicago Stadium late in the 3rd and the crowd goes nuts.

College Football: Wisconsin's three Rose Bowl trips (while these are not "playoff wins" the regular season games that get them there have a playoff atmosphere)

College Hoops: Wisconsin over Purdue in 2004 West regional final to make its first Final 4 since 1939.

NFL: I don't even remember what year (1988 or so?), but the Vikes pulled a big upset at San Francisco in the playoffs. They have not won a big game since.

NBA: The T-Wolves finally getting the monkey off their back and winning a series two years ago.

NHL: The North Stars winning the Cambell Conference finals over Edmonton in 5 (bittersweet, though as I had tickets to game 6). Also, the WIld playoff run a few years ago. Minnesota deserved that.

MLB: Obviously the Twins 1987 and 1991 game 7 victories in the world series. Particularly 1991, as it ended such an outstanding series.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This past Saturday night has to be my favorite ever. Standing on the sideline while the Patriots had the ball, you literally couldn't hear a person next to you screaming at full blast. It was unbelievable. I've never seen an atmosphere like that at any sporting event, and I've been to a Stanley Cup finals game and a CU over Nebraska upset with bowl and conference implications.. I'd condider those the second and third best, respectively.

Favorite Playoff Win for the Falcons: 47-17 drubbing of the Rams in the Divisional Playoff last year.

Favorite Playoff Win for the Braves: 1995 World Series win vs. Cleveland

Favorite Playoff Win for the Hawks: Can't even remember.

Since we're from the same city....

Falcons: You're telling me that win was more exciting than the win over Minnesota in the NFC Championship Game? I about lost an arm to the ceiling fan when Morten's kick went through the uprights.

Braves: That game stands out for obvious reasons. Other memorable games are Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS vs. Pittsburgh and Game 7 of the 1996 NLCS vs. St. Louis when the Braves won 15-0.

Favorite Playoff Win for the Falcons: 47-17 drubbing of the Rams in the Divisional Playoff last year.

Favorite Playoff Win for the Braves: 1995 World Series win vs. Cleveland

Favorite Playoff Win for the Hawks: Can't even remember.

Since we're from the same city....

Falcons: You're telling me that win was more exciting than the win over Minnesota in the NFC Championship Game? I about lost an arm to the ceiling fan when Morten's kick went through the uprights.

True, cant believe I forgot that. I was but a child, forgive me

MLB: 1. Game 6 1995 ALCS - Indians first American League championship since

2. Game 6 1997 ALCS - Indians 2nd American League championship in

3 seasons, and some small revenge against Baltimore for the city of

Cleveland.

3. Game 5 1997 ALDS - Sending home the Yankees was sweet.

NCAA: 1. 2002 National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes

2. 2002 Kent State Golden Flashes go to the elite 8

NBA: 2003 draft lottery - Cavaliers win the right to draft LeBron James.

NFL: Sad to say I don't have any for my Browns (except maybe in 1989

when my Browns beat the Steelers 51-0 in Pittsburgh). But when the

Browns were stolen after the 1995 season I became a fan of the Tampa

Bay Buccaneers. So my pick is Super Bowl XXXVII when the Bucs

crushed the Raiders.

NHL: Born & raised in Cleveland, but live in Dallas. Gotta go with game 6 of

the 1999 Stanley Cup. Brett Hull goal is good. Dallas Stars win the cup.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Canucks: All from 1994 of course. Game 7 vs. Calgary, game 5 vs. Toronto and game 6 vs. New York (it sent the series to game 7 when the Canucks looked done a few night before).

Mariners: Nothing tops the 95 ALDS for sheer drama.

49ers: Super Bowl XXIX. My first seasoon as a Niners fan (and football fan too, for that matter). It was awesome.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

AFL: Essendon beating Hawthorn coming from 4 goals down in 1984 to win by 3 goals. The first time they'd won anything in my life time and against a hated opposition.

NFL: Pats 1st Super Bowl win over St Louis. I followed that team from being a Super Bowl loser in 1986 through the Dick McPherson years, the Pete Carroll years and the Bill Parcell years. Some years were 1-15, others 2-14.

And the day they actually won it all was just amazing.

I wanted to celebrate and party, and most people in Sydney were like "oh, the Super Bowl, when's that on?"

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Steelers: yesterdays game. Thanks Vandejagt, because of you, sunday wasnt Jerome Bettis's last game.

Pirates: What playoffs?

Penguins: A couple years ago when we actually were good enough to make it to the playoffs.

oBIgzrL.png

Time to cover the great memories...

1986 NLCS Game 6 (Mets vs. Astros)--An agonizing 16 inning game, but the Amazins got it done and made their first World Series in 13 years.

1986 World Series Game 6 (Mets vs. Red Sox)--You know what happened here.

1991 World Series Games 6 & 7 (Twins vs. Braves)--No real rooting interest in this one, but these two games were by far the 2 best postseason games I've ever watched. Game 6, you have Kirby Puckett's walk off HR to send it to Game 7 (punctuated by one of the BEST HR calls I've heard...Jack Buck (God bless him) for CBS: "Puckett swings...deep to left field...and we'll see you tomorrow night!")..Game 7..all I have to say is JACK MORRIS.

1999 NLDS Game 4 (Mets vs. D-Backs)--Thank GOD Steve Finley wasn't 3 inches taller :lol:

1999 NLCS Game 5 (Mets vs. Braves)--THE GRAND-SLAM SINGLE!

2000 NLCS Game 4 (Mets vs. Cardinals)--This one gets on the list because I happened to be at Shea for this one. The upper deck at Shea was actually swaying during the course of this game.

2004 NBA Eastern Conference Semis Game 7 (Pistons vs. Nets)--A thing of beauty watching the 'Stones just tear the Nets a new one.

2004 NBA Finals Game 5 (Pistons vs. Lakers)--A fitting end to a textbook demolition of a team I thoroughly hated. It was hard not to laugh everytime ABC showed a shot of Shaq or Kobe pouting as the Pistons just destroyed the Lakers.

2005 Eastern Conference Semis Game 7 (Pistons vs. Pacers)--With everything these two teams went through during the season, it was especially satisfying to end the Pacers season at Conseco and to send Reggie Miller (who was as much of a thorn in the side of the Pistons as he was the Knicks) off into retirement without a ring.

2005 NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 7 (Pistons vs. Heat)--A great series punctuated by a great game.

1990 Eastern Regional Semis (UConn vs. Clemson)--Scott Burrell to Tate George. Take that Dale Davis & Elden Campbell :lol:

1999 National Championship Game (UConn vs. Duke)--The first one is always the sweetest....it was especially sweet for those of us in Husky Nation that they won their first national title by knocking off the Dookies.

1994 Eastern Conference Finals (Rangers vs. Devils)--Games 6 & 7 merit the reason why this one is memorable. You have Mess's guarantee for Game 6 (which he backs up with a hat-trick) and Game 7...in the words of Howie Rose: MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU!

1994 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 (Rangers vs. Vancouver)--Sam Rosen put it best..."THE WAITING IS OVER! THE NEW YORK RANGERS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!"

2000 AHL Eastern Conference Finals Game 7 (Hartford vs. Providence)--This was one of the wildest games I've ever seen live. Hartford had fought back from a 3-1 series defecit to force Game 7 against the defending Calder Cup champs. Game is back and forth, and midway through the 3rd, the P-Bruins are holding a 2-1 lead and are just killing every chance the Wolfpack have. Then, Derek Armstrong takes a shot from the point that PJ Stock tips past John Grahame to tie things up...the Civic Center ERUPTED with that goal...teams hold on for OT. During the break, a few friends and I started talking about who the hero was gonna be...most of them went with the top scorers on the Pack (Brad Smyth, Derek Armstrong, etc)..I chose Terry Virtue, only because he was on the P-Bruins the year before and I thought it would be a bit fitting in the ol' karma department. At some point during the OT, Johan Witehall gets a shot in on Grahame, who turns it away, but left a large rebound that was pounced on by......Terry Virtue :lol: Virtue cans it, Pack win the series, and go on to the Calder Cup Finals (where they dropped Rochester in 6 to win the goods).

2005 UHL Quarterfinals Games 1 & 2 (Danbury vs. Adirondack)--Nothing like facing a team you've become blood enemies of during the course of the season in the first round. These two games in Glens Falls were absolute gut punches for the Frostbite fans, but as a Trasher fan, I was loving these. Game 1 goes to OT and ends on a controversial play as a Danbury forward clipped Adirondack's goalie as he wandered out of the net. The puck just sat there until Danbury's Bruce Richardson grabbed it and fired it into the open net. Game over. Hard to top that, right? Well, then there was Game 2....Triple OT. Once again, Danbury wins...this time it's Jonathan Gagnon ripping a shot past the 'Bite netminder and giving the Trashers a 2-0 series lead in an absolutely psyche-destroying manner. Danbury went on to win the series in 6.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

1987 World Series Game 7 - Twins win! Hell YEA!

1991 World Series Game 6 - Kirby Puckett 10th Inning Home Run. "Well see you tomorrow night!"

1991 World Series Game 7 - Jack Morris 10 innings of shutout pitching wins the best World Series ever. Hell YEA!

2003 NHL Playoffs Wild vs. Avalanche Game 7 Overtime- Andrew Brunette sends Minnesota into absolute euphoria as he wins the series (and sends Patrick Roy into retirement) with the most improbable, unexpected goal of all time. Minnesota comes back from being down 3 games to 1 and wins the series on the road to eliminate the heavily favored Avs. What did I just SEE?! :hockeysmiley:

Again, the Wild get down 3-1 and storm back to beat the Canucks at home in Game 7 on the road. It was a road game, but a local movie theater opened the doors for free and put the game on the theater screen! It was like being at a home game. Before Game 4 fans were camped out overnight in the lobby to buy tickets for Game 6 and Todd Bertuzzi walked through and told them not to bother, as there wouldn't be a Game 6. A rivalry is born.

2002 NCAA Ice Hockey Championship game. St. Paul, Minnesota. I'm among 18,000 depressed fans at the game as Maine leads 3-2 the Minnesota Gophers in what is essentially a home game. An icing call against Maine with 58 seconds left allows Minnesota a chance to pull the goalie. They guy sitting next to me leaves to take a leak! And Matt Koalska SCORES to send it into overtime!! The OT goes on for 16 minutes back and forth. Finally a Maine penalty gives the Gophers a powerplay. Potulny scores and the place goes nuts! First title since 1979!

2004 Northern League Championship Finals - Deciding Game 5 in a best of 5 Championship Final Series. I walk into the park for free during the 6th inning with the St. Paul Saints losing. They enter the bottom of the 9th down 6-2. After a leadoff double and two easy outs "The Rally" begins. Everyone gets a hit or a walk to stay alive. We are down to our last strike at least twice, but the hits keep on coming. A single. One run in. Another single. A walk. A single. Two more runs in. At this point the game comes down to every single pitch. A home run wins it, any pop-up loses it all. Another hit! Four runs in - tie game! More runners get on. Finally a pitching change with the bases loaded. With a 1-1 count, the ball is blasted down the left field line. It's clearly out of the park, but is it fair or foul? We all watch the ball leave and whip our heads around to the umpire for the call.... FAIR! Grand Slam in the bottom of the 9th to win the game and the Championship 10-6! (dance) I've never seen anything like that.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived