NHL Goal of the Year? Ovechkin

DEAD!

Even sat through a whole period of St. Louis Blues action this evening.

I'm sorry about that.

Sorrier than you'll ever know.

I managed to sit through the whole game . . . and eat dinner at the same time. Wasn't easy.

Sorry about your time loss...

I was flipping through the guide yesterday and saw "NHL game" on TSN. I was so happy!

But then I saw Blues against Devils... I decided to listen to anything else BUT that game.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Id agree with almost everyone else here, in that Malik's goal was very tight, and ovechkins was right behind it. Talkabout a high effort players.

no way malik was in a shoot out he only had to worry about the goalie and not someone chasing him. Ovechkin went through a guy and was on his back. But the only thing about Ovechkins was the fact that the goalie should have saved it so i understand why you guys say maliks is better but i disagree.

Ovechkin has to be the rookie of the year if not him then Svatos! He leads the league in game winning goals!

untitled-6.jpg

Ok to continue on with the sweet hockey goal......I mean what Ovechkin did was sweet but does anybody remember i am tempted to say 1997 in the regional finals of the NCAA tourney when (i dont rember maybe some of you hard core UMichigan fans can tell me who did it) but he was behind the Gophers net and scooped up the puck and put it in.......I still think that is one of if not the most amazing goal that i have ever seen on the grounds of pure innovation..... I think that ebaumsworld has it on their website but you guys can try to find it.

It was Mike Legg for Michigan. 1996 NCAA Tourney, and it was played (coincidentally) at Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing. Michigan was down, and on the Power Play, when Legg pulled this baby out:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/hockeyscore.mpg

We went on to win the game, and eventually, the national title. Very cool goal.

spikes.jpg

I'll stand up for the expansion team and say Zherdev's coast to coast goal to tie the game for Columbus was a pretty sweet one. Not too often you see Nash standing still in awe.

I agree with Payno and SyPhi on this one.

Although very nice goal, it didn't show a amazing display of skills. I mean he fell onto the ice, and tried to get the puck to the net. Goalie was really, and I mean really weak on this play. Any hockey player will tell you that when he falls, he tries to do something with the puck. That's just the way it is.

As far as the nicest goal this year, I'd go with Jason Spezza's OT winner against Montreal in October.

Spezza's goal

That's some skills, against a defenseman, then the goalie. IMO, that is the best goal this season, outside of shootout goals.

That was a ridiculous goal. In terms of skills and clutch... wow. And it's not like the defenceman or the goalie really played all that badly on the play... Spezza had the puck on a string.

And the Cheechoo goal was a beauty too... despite the fact that it was against the Avs.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Did anyone see the Alexander Ovechkin goal from last night's game against the Coyotes? If not have a look....

http://www.rh71.com/Projects/Ovechkin/vids/goal32.avi

Certainly a great goal. I actually saw one like that in person once. Several years ago, I was at a Sabres-Canadiens game where Donald Audette scored on an impossible shot while almost face-down near the goal line. Complete fluke, but awesome.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Unbelievable. But my vote's still with Marek Malik in the FIFTEENTH round of a shootout v. Washington, when he went through his legs - keep in mind he's a lumbering 6'5" defenseman, not the second coming of Alexei Kovalev.

Agreed. That's the best goal I've seen all year.

I'll stand up for the expansion team and say Zherdev's coast to coast goal to tie the game for Columbus was a pretty sweet one. Not too often you see Nash standing still in awe.

That was a great goal!

What made that goal better than Ovechkin's and even Malik's was that it was pretty much do or die for the Jackets. I may be struck by lightning for this, but that goal was about as "Jordanesque" as I've seen. Rarely are game-tying goals scored singlehandedly like Zherdev's. The worst that happens if Malik misses is that the shootout goes on, not the Blueshirts losing.

PS: That and a similarly crushing loss to the Wings three days earlier killed my Hawks.

The Spezza goal is nothing spectacular when you consider the umpteen times Gretzky and Orr did the same thing every season.

I'd consider that goalies weren't as good as they were now. I don't think we'll see a team scoring over 400 goals in a season soon...

Plus Gretzky and Orr we in a class of their own.

Would you say the same thing if Spezza was playing for the Leafs?? :P

Oh, keep in mind it was against my Habs. But I can recognize a nice goal from a bad one... Especially with Theodore!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

No comments on the goal I posted? Hmmm, maybe I am just easy to amaze...Either way, like I said in my first post, the Ovechkin goal was amazing but I dont think the "best" goal of the season can even been considered the best when the goalie is Bouche. Althought I LOVE my Coyotes, Bouche is simply garbage.

PopHeading-1.gif

Archived