MLB hat changes for '06?

gmlouisville

Stros uniform habits? (hat/uni combos)

At home, Astros usually wear black cap/pinstripes at home Monday through Friday nights, brick cap/solid whites Saturday and midweek afternoon games, and black cap/brick Astros top with white pants on Sunday and holidays. On the road, black cap always, gray uniforms except for brick Houston top/gray pants for Sundays and, occasionally, midweek afternoon games. Also, they will sometimes wear brick for Saturday road game and gray for Sunday road game if the home team has an alternate top they wear on Sunday (see Braves, Reds, etc.).

In the playoffs, the brick top has come out at odd times on the road so that might be a pitcher's choice in an isolated situation (see Clemens in brick in 2004 NLCS Game 7 or 2005 NLDS Game 2).

Seems like a lot of rules, but even those of us Astros fans who hate the fact they have 89 million uniform combinations usually know what they will wear on a given day.

Sweet info on the Astros. Yeah, complicated, but I'd probably have never figured that out...

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't it posted somewhere here that the Graphite Jays would be going solely to black caps?  If they went with royal blue hats and emphasized that color more in their numbers, etc., I wouldn't complain about their current logo so much.

Yes, but they've been doing that since July. Now it's official that graphite is gone.

I never did like the graphite much either, but I'll admit it was growing on me. Too bad they don't keep it for an alt "every now and then" cap.

I really like the black though. The logo's a little big, but I think it's pretty solid.

The Pirates yellow brim/red button hats (and the jerseys that go with them) are gone.

I was not aware of that? I guess they're fazing out red completely then?

Any word about getting it out of the logo too?

As far as I know the main logo and the MLB logo on their hats/jerseys aren't changing.

I think it was more about getting rid of that black Friday home alternate than getting rid of any red.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Pantone. Since Chris already posted the Royals home and away uniforms could you please post the style guide version like you did for the Nats and Brewers? I'd REALLY appreciate it.

OK...it might have to be tomorrow though...I gots a lot going on right now...

WashingtonNationals_AU_2006-9999_SO.jpg

Another style guide error: This image shows the alt with blue-gold-blue piping. That would make sense and look good. It is, therefore, not what the Nats will wear. The real alts have blue-red-blue piping, just like on the road unis, and the piping us uuuuuuugly.

However, maybe they'll wise up and change mid-season, as they did with the colors on the MLB cap logos last year (going from contrasting color and gold to the cap color and gold).

20082614447.png

Issues I have with the Nats' 3rds:

The piping thing. Either navy-gold-navy or navy-white-navy. Otherwise, it gets lost in all the red.

The numbers should be white with gold bevel and navy outline, like the chest logo.

The sleeve patch should have the half-baseball beneath the wordmark.

Fix those things, and you've got yourself a winner. Leave it as is, and you've got the second coming of the Braves alts.

(Can I get a navy brim on that cap, too?)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived