MLB hat changes for '06?

gmlouisville

I'll check on the cap question...I will also see if the Nationals' alt graphic has been changed - sometimes they do that. I just posted what they've got up there.

I'm still working on the other sets, but here's the new Royals home uniforms:

KansasCityRoyals_HUN_2006_SOL.jpg

It's a long story, but it takes me a little while to put these together...I color-correct these things...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the road uniforms:

KansasCityRoyals_RUN_2006_SOL.jpg

You might also notice that the MLB Batter Logo has changed colors as well...it's now Royal Blue and Metallic Gold. Last season, it was Royal Blue and Light Gray (the Light Gray coming from the now-defunct Secondary Logo), and in 2004, it was - oddly enough - Royal Blue and Metallic Silver. Don't know why they used Metallic Silver...it wasn't being used anywhere else in the uniform or logos...

I'll get to the alternates and BPs later...

I did have a great conversation with the woman who works there (and who told me how fast the stuff was flying off the shelves....).

BUT NAVY AND GOLD IS SO CLEAN! IT'S CLEAN!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The graphic also doesn't look quite right. The colors are off.

Also remember, that the colors I use are optimized for computer screens...they are EXACTLY what the corresponding Pantones should look on a monitor if they were printed on a four-color printer. That being said, the corresponding Pantone Textile colors are a little different than the Solid colors.

I'll post the Brewers unis later, only using the Textile colors.

Wow.

I really love the new logo.  The "KC" shield makes so much more sense than the "R" shield....

Just checking...you realize that the logo changed in 2002, right?

I do, I do.

Seeing it on that sleeve patch reminded me how much I like it. :D Only good part of that update.

Like the thread--lots of good info--but I'm wondering if anyone has an answer to one of my original questions:

What about the Rays/Mets hat/uni combos? Is there any rhyme or reason to those as the when and where? I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info.

And the new hat question as well (besides the ones that have already been graciously mentioned).

Thanks again.

Pantone. Do you think you can post the rest of the Royals stuff tonight? I'm wondering what the modification is in the BP jersey? Also are they going to wear a blue cap with the black jerseys?

I'll try to get to it later...I'm up to my eyeballs in enumerating security access rights (!)...(don't ask)

One question though - HAVE the alternates been officially unveiled? I can't post them if they're still confidential...

I just found out that the alternates will be unveiled next Friday. In the mean time can you answer just a couple of quick questions. Do the Royals only have one cap now? I don't think the blue cap will look right with the black jersey. Also what is the modification to the BP jersey?

There is a new alt cap, but the change is VERY minor.

BP - only the cap is changing...all Blue, White button.

I'll have to hold off on the alts...sorry.

:cry:

What about the Rays/Mets hat/uni combos?  Is there any rhyme or reason to those as the when and where?  I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info.

When the Mets first added the seemingly endless combinations to their uniform set, what was worn for each game was determined by relief pitcher John Franco. At the time he was both the unofficial, then the official captain of the team. I remember the choice being up to him, as there was often the occasional note in the New York papers over why he chose certain uniforms on certain days. The reasons were endless: some teammate wanted to wear this set today; it was over 90 degrees out, so the whites were worn instead of the blacks; we're trying to break a losing streak, so we wore the blue caps today; etc.; etc.

I've got no idea who is making the decision today; but for a long time, it was Franco's choice (other than wearing road v. home sets, depending on the game's location).

And I've got to add this: I've always loved the Mets' current gray road sets. One of the few things I hated about what was still a good team in the late 1980s is that ownership always seemed so opposed to bringing back the road look from the Mets' early days.

They went thru quite a few awful uniform sets before bringing back the proper road look. That's one of the reasons I remain in the minority here about the current black sets (and the endless combinations of uniforms); all of them are so much better than the sets from the 1980s, including the racing striped-sleeved home sets of that era. But that's just my two cents worth... :D

I remember reading somewhere (it may have been another string here) that the Mets' uniform combination is decided by the equipment manager and that the reason they don't wear the blue hats is because he thinks it will clash with their black dugout jacket. So, they wear them more on the hottest days of the summer when the coaches won't be wearing the jacket. Of course, Rick Peterson, the pitching coach, ALWAYS wears his jacket, so they have that to deal with.

As a Mets fan, I loved the black when it came out, but it's gotten extremely tired. The white and pinstriped uniforms with the blue cap look fantastic (for some reason, the pinstripes looked better to me last year than they had for years before, maybe because they seemed to play better in them). Also, I'd love to see them ditch all the shading and outlining on wordmark. Whenever I see shots of the old gray road unis (usu. during the Subway Series when they flash back to Dave Mlicki's shutout in 97), the grays with just the blue lettering with orange outlining looks great with the blue cap. I wouldn't mind the black uniforms remaining in the repertoire provided that we only see them once a week or so instead of the majority of the time.

I remember reading somewhere (it may have been another string here) that the Mets' uniform combination is decided by the equipment manager and that the reason they don't wear the blue hats is because he thinks it will clash with their black dugout jacket.  So, they wear them more on the hottest days of the summer when the coaches won't be wearing the jacket. Of course, Rick Peterson, the pitching coach, ALWAYS wears his jacket, so they have that to deal with.

I believe you are correct. I've heard Mets announcers (I believe mostly Howie Rose) mention that Charlie Samuels, the equipment manager, chooses what uniforms to wear. Howie usually gets excited when the Mets wear blue hats and pinstripes, as he should, since those are the best uni's the Mets have (get rid of the black, and they are perfect). They have also mentioned the black jackets/blue hats dealie on air as well.

Archived