MLB hat changes for '06?

gmlouisville

I remember reading somewhere (it may have been another string here) that the Mets' uniform combination is decided by the equipment manager and that the reason they don't wear the blue hats is because he thinks it will clash with their black dugout jacket.  So, they wear them more on the hottest days of the summer when the coaches won't be wearing the jacket. Of course, Rick Peterson, the pitching coach, ALWAYS wears his jacket, so they have that to deal with.

I believe you are correct. I've heard Mets announcers (I believe mostly Howie Rose) mention that Charlie Samuels, the equipment manager, chooses what uniforms to wear. Howie usually gets excited when the Mets wear blue hats and pinstripes, as he should, since those are the best uni's the Mets have (get rid of the black, and they are perfect). They have also mentioned the black jackets/blue hats dealie on air as well.

Aren't the pinstripes with blue hat the official Mets home road uniforms? I agree that they look great, with the all white/blue hat combo a close second.

I don't completely dislike the black hat. I just think that a black hat with blue bill looks stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't completely dislike the black hat.  I just think that a black hat with blue bill looks stupid.

I disagree. The problem with the Mets' black hat is the dark NY logo, which is practically illegible/invisible. The issues with the Royals in black aside (because I don't want to hijack this thread and stir up that hornet's nest), I think their black hat with blue bill, with a stark white KC, looks really sharp.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I agree.

The NY logo completely disappears against the black cap. Even the version with the white drop-shadow is too muddy.

The only way it could work is to retain the orange logo, maybe surround it with a blue border, and drop that against the black cap.

Blue and black are too close together on the gray scale to work well. That's why you see more red and black than blue and black - red "pops" against the black in a way that blue cannot.

The Twins are going to have a new jersey and new batting prctice jersey in 2006. Excerpt from twinsbaseball.com

MINNEAPOLIS - ST. PAUL -- The Minnesota Twins announced today plans to unveil a pair of new jerseys which will be worn by the team during the 2006 season.

Headlining the Twins uniform additions is the introduction of a sleeveless jersey which will be worn as an alternate white home top beginning in 2006. It will be the first time in club history the Twins an official on-field uniform has included a sleeveless jersey. The sleeveless jersey will be similar to the traditional Twins white home jersey with blue pinstripes and the Twins script logo in red across the front. A navy blue undergarment will be worn in combination with the sleeveless jersey.

The Twins will also unveil a new alternate/batting practice jersey for 2006. This navy blue jersey features the traditional red and white "TC" logo on the upper left-hand chest with player number in red on the back. The new batting practice jersey replaces the existing navy blue Twins alternate/practice jersey.

The only way it could work is to retain the orange logo, maybe surround it with a blue border, and drop that against the black cap.

I'm not even sure the blue border is necessary. An orange NY on a black background basically becomes (voila) a New York Giants cap, which looked pretty good back in the day. The only issue with that solution is completely leaving out the blue (which was there to cover the old Dodgers fans, while the Giants fans got their orange), but a black bill takes care of that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I don't completely dislike the black hat.  I just think that a black hat with blue bill looks stupid.

I disagree. The problem with the Mets' black hat is the dark NY logo, which is practically illegible/invisible. The issues with the Royals in black aside (because I don't want to hijack this thread and stir up that hornet's nest), I think their black hat with blue bill, with a stark white KC, looks really sharp.

I disagree. The problems with both the Royals and the Mets black caps is that they mixed royal blue with black. Like stripes and plaids together, these two colors aren't meant to be worn with each other. The Royals look like they're coming to their senses, but the Mets don't have a defense. The notion that black was added as a NY Giants tribute is baloney - that's what the orange was for. The Mets looked great in royal and orange for decades until someone went seeking some more dollars, saw all the kids wearing black and decided to conform.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived