2006 Stanley Cup logo

stpmn

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

correct me if i'm wrong my canadian friends, but i have the stanley cup clincher on cbc each year since 1983 (except for ctv in 1985), and with the exception of a few seasons in the "molson hockey night in canada on cbc" era when they referred to it as"stanley cup championship"

but they always called it the stanley cup FINAL, not finals.

if you're a yank like me, it's finals.

if you're a cdn, it's final.

i like stanley cup final, m'self.

and that's final! ;)

tb

I'll chime in here. Not to what's right but as to what is grammatically correct. It would be the Stanley Cup Final as it is only one series used to determine the champion. Semi-finals (quarter-finals, et al.) is correct as there are two series' being played to determine the conference winners.

NBA Final

Stanley Cup Final

World Series (no apostrophe)

They are all singular and therefore no plural necessary.

World Series (no apostrophe)

They are all singular and therefore no plural necessary.

ommf,

believe it or not, many publications before about the mid-1950's referred to it as the WORLD'S SERIES, including the "bible of baseball", the sporting news.

tb

I don't get this. This "new" NHL is just stupid. They HAD a better NHL sheild than they do now, they HAD better conference logos than they do now, and I personally thought they had THE BEST (BY FAR) championship logo in place, and now they re-do everything and its nowhere near what it was. I'm all for change and updating, but only if a) necessary and B) it doesn't completely suck.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

untitled29js.png

They used the Falcons' font for the "FINAL" script...

ATL_304.gif

It's similar, but that's actually just the same font they used in everything else, it just happens to be small and straight.

You can tell by looking at the spacing in the F, and also if you look closely, you can see the serifs curve out to the point while the Falcons are a straight triangular serif.

a few comments...

1. The Eastern/Western needs to be flipped as has already been pointed out.

2. I actually don't like the red and blue lines on the inside of the shield, not quite sure why.

3. The shade of blue for Stanley Cup doesn't look right, should be white, black or silver.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Pretty spiffy, I'll miss the old circle logo but this is a nice effort for the new look of the league, but to echo others "EASTERN" and "WESTERN" need to be flipped to make sense...I hope they keep this logo and just change the years, for cosistency. I always liked the idea of keeping the championship game/series logo the same and just modding the year, I think maybe the Super Bowl should look into it after some of their more recent logos...but I know that'll never happen since they wanna promote the city it's in.

The only thing I don't like about this is that the 2006 is so tiny. The actual year of the contest should be very prominently displayed in a logo like this. If they got rid of the word FINAL and made the 2006 bigger, it would rule.

Otherwise it's fine. The Eastern/Western means nothing to me. Neither does the FINAL/FINALS thing. I look forward to the patch form.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived