2006 Stanley Cup logo

stpmn

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
World Series (no apostrophe)

They are all singular and therefore no plural necessary.

ommf,

believe it or not, many publications before about the mid-1950's referred to it as the WORLD'S SERIES, including the "bible of baseball", the sporting news.

tb

But even as The World's Series it is still singular the 's after World shows possession not that it's plural

Stanley Cup Final is definitely the correct term.

I'll chime in here. Not to what's right but as to what is grammatically correct. It would be the Stanley Cup Final as it is only one series used to determine the champion. Semi-finals (quarter-finals, et al.) is correct as there are two series' being played to determine the conference winners.

NBA Final

Stanley Cup Final

I'm sorry, but hockey has always played the "Stanley Cup Finals." Likewise, the NBA has the "NBA Finals" and baseball has the "World Series." Yes, it was once referred to as the "World's Series," but that has since changed.

I don't understand why grammar should be any sort of factor here. The name of the event has gone without change for decades. What should be the attention here is why the NHL is so stupid to put the East in the West and vice versa. And why would you rename the Cup THIS YEAR and not have any news regarding such a change?

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I'll chime in here. Not to what's right but as to what is grammatically correct. It would be the Stanley Cup Final as it is only one series used to determine the champion. Semi-finals (quarter-finals, et al.) is correct as there are two series' being played to determine the conference winners.

NBA Final

Stanley Cup Final

I'm sorry, but hockey has always played the "Stanley Cup Finals." Likewise, the NBA has the "NBA Finals" and baseball has the "World Series." Yes, it was once referred to as the "World's Series," but that has since changed.

I don't understand why grammar should be any sort of factor here. The name of the event has gone without change for decades. What should be the attention here is why the NHL is so stupid to put the East in the West and vice versa. And why would you rename the Cup THIS YEAR and not have any news regarding such a change?

Like I said, I wasn't speaking to what it should be, only what is grammatically correct.

It's never too late to correct a mistake.

"Final" is a shorthand reference to the phrase "final series". Truly, final is an adjective, but over time, the noun it modifies has been dropped off, since in sports, everyone knows you're talking about a game, race or series, depending on the sport being discussed. As OMMF correctly pointed out, there is one final series to determine the Stanley Cup's rightful owner in a given year. Thus, Stanley Cup Final.

"Finals" sounds right because you've heard people use the word to describe other things. Final exams, for example. But each exam you take during "finals" is its own discrete test; your Spanish final on Monday has no bearing on your Chemistry final on Wednesday. They are a series of individual final exams. But in sports, the final series pits the same two teams against each other, and the outcome of Game 1 does have an impact on the scenario going into Game 6.

The phrase "World Series" has no bearing on your argument whatsoever. The singular of "series" is "series". Thus, baseball already uses the singular to describe its championship round. Whether the world is given a possessive or not has nothing to do with the fact that it is a single series to determine the champion of the world. Without the possessive, "world" becomes an adjective (albeit factually incorrect) to describe the majesty of the contests being held.

Again, there is what is correct, and what sounds correct because it's been accepted over time. Just because it sounds correct doesn't mean it's so.

Concordance between the 2 CCSLC Grammar Nazis. Our work here is done...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived