The name of Chicago's 2nd NFL team

doctorpeligro

If Daley's talking about a second NFL team for Chicago, he's smokin' something he should be sharing with others.

Actually what Daley's trying to do is distract the media and the voters because he is currently inundated with corruption accusations and investigations. (surprise, surprise <_< ).

The only reason this is even a palatable concept to the Chicago voters is he says this will be funded with state (read downstate) money-(It also helps when the Governor is a Chicago Democrat and a minion of the Chicago city council <_<:cursing: )

I honestly don't see this ever happening. (Although if it did, you might finally see that interesting phenomenon of the rest of the state voting Chicago out of its borders.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would serve the Bears right to have a second team there. They built a stadium that seats only 61,000 for a huge market. After the Colts get their new building, it will be the smallest stadium in the NFL. There is far more demand than supply, and I think a second team in Chicago would do pretty well.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

1. Raiders

- Too rich in history, staying in California.

2. Chargers

- If they go anywhere they're going back to LA.

3. Bills

- Not a chance in hell my Bills are leaving Buffalo.

4. Vikings

- The biggest possibility of this list, the HumphreyDome isn't the best place in the world for football, and creates a division rivalry with the Bears.

5. Jaguars

- What's wrong with the team in Jacksonville?

6. Saints

- LA and San Antonio are more likely than a second team in Chicago.

The Vikings? Are you kiddin' me? They are pretty hated in Chicago. NO ONE would cheer for them. NO ONE.

I've always thought that the Raiders would be a great fit for the south side. They have the same colors as the Sox, they are both renegade teams, and they both would be competing with a stodgy, more established club.

Comiskey (The Cell) could be renovated for football. If I were more technically inclined I'd do a concept, but I'm not.

It'll never happen, but it would be interesting

a 2nd nfl team in chicago is not gonna happen...

daley just tossed out the idea to start talk about building a 80,000 dome stadium possibly for 2016 olympics. a couple weeks ago he said that chicago might not have to build one if other facilities at colleges around the chicago area were used... selling that to make an olympic bid work would be a loooooong shot.

the major reason why i think daley wants an dome stadium is so that conventions that chicago havent been able to hold could come to town.

The Vikings? Are you kiddin' me? They are pretty hated in Chicago. NO ONE would cheer for them. NO ONE.

The Vikings' chances of getting a new stadium in Minnesota are slim to none. Those taxpayers are tight with their money, and rightfully so. From the looks of it, the Gophers and Twins are going to have priority for state funding. So it is very possible that in 2012, when their lease is up, there may be no other options. The franchise would obviously cease to be the "Vikings" if they moved to Chicago (or anywhere else, for that matter), changing their name and their colors. They would also have to be moved to the AFC for TV purposes, likely requiring a team from the AFC South (Houston or Tennessee?) to move into the NFC North. I agree that it won't happen without a ton of private financing, but if it can be done in Boston and Charlotte, it can probably be done in Chicago...again. Plus, a new team in Chicago would have a revenue source that the Bears will NEVER have: stadium naming rights. Leasing the name could go for at least $10 million/year if the stadium was in the Super Bowl and Final Four rotations.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

I could see a second team in Chicago one day, but not in the next 10 to 15 years or so. Things change with time, and I agree with the person who commented on Soldier Field being the smallest in the league. I know the club seats and boxes bring in the money, but that still leaves people wanting NFL football who can't get tickets.

I've been a Bears fan my whole life, (okay I'm fresh out of college, so it's not that long) but I tell ya, if another team came to Chicago, I'd be very interested in switching sides. This last Bears-Carolina game was really the first time in my life that they were 'good' and I really thought there was a possibility of them winning it all. The 01 team I didn't have that same feel. This past team I thought with the defense they could make things happen. Now I was dead wrong, but still, that makes it one real game in my entire life as a fan that I really grabbed on to. One game. Sure I watch everyweek, and follow the draft, but just one game in my life time that I felt my team had the chance to win it all.

Thats not that hard to walk away from and to another team. Though its less the losing more of the management, granted I like Lovie more than Dick and Dave combined so it seems better of late. But I don't know, as a fan, announcing the hiring of Dave McGinnis without a contract signed, that still bugs me.

Anyway, back to the post topic, if that team did come to town, I wish they could be the Chicago Cardinal, no S. Sure it wouldn't fly with the NFL, but I like it.

BTW, there is a good book out there about the Chicago Cardinals called "When Football was Football". It really details the struggles the NFL had. It also talks about "Cigar Box Football", games played on a shorter field inside, basically Arena Football. Really good read.

since the Bears are named after the Cubs, I think it'd only make sense to have a second Chicago team be named after the White sox.

And since Bears are bigger than Cubs, what would be bigger than Sox?

Ladies and gentlemen, your CHICAGO WHITE PANTYHOSE!

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I could see a second team in Chicago one day, but not in the next 10 to 15 years or so.  Things change with time, and I agree with the person who commented on Soldier Field being the smallest in the league.  I know the club seats and boxes bring in the money, but that still leaves people wanting NFL football who can't get tickets.

I've been a Bears fan my whole life, (okay I'm fresh out of college, so it's not that long) but I tell ya, if another team came to Chicago, I'd be very interested in switching sides.  This last Bears-Carolina game was really the first time in my life that they were 'good' and I really thought there was a possibility of them winning it all.  The 01 team I didn't have that same feel.  This past team I thought with the defense they could make things happen.  Now I was dead wrong, but still, that makes it one real game in my entire life as a fan that I really grabbed on to.  One game.  Sure I watch everyweek, and follow the draft, but just one game in my life time that I felt my team had the chance to win it all.

Thats not that hard to walk away from and to another team.  Though its less the losing more of the management, granted I like Lovie more than Dick and Dave combined so it seems better of late.  But I don't know, as a fan, announcing the hiring of Dave McGinnis without a contract signed, that still bugs me. 

Anyway, back to the post topic, if that team did come to town, I wish they could be the Chicago Cardinal, no S.  Sure it wouldn't fly with the NFL, but I like it.

BTW, there is a good book out there about the Chicago Cardinals called "When Football was Football".  It really details the struggles the NFL had.  It also talks about "Cigar Box Football", games played on a shorter field inside, basically Arena Football.  Really good read.

If one loss to a better team would make you think about switching sides, go ahead. You're support is pretty worthless anyways.

The 2001 team wasn't good? 13 wins is pretty good. And they actually were able to move the ball consistently.

And Dave McGinnis turned out to be a great coach, didn't he?

(As for the Vikes, they definitely would have to change. I agree with that. What I don't agree with is that the NFL would ever allow them to move to Chicago. The McCaskeys are about the most powerful family in the NFL and would raise hell if any team seriously considered moving to Chicago. Someone said earlier that any team moving to Chicago would have to pay the Bears a lot of money to compensate for their territory. Too much to make it worthwhile.

Chicago could probably support two teams, but definitely wouldn't support one that was once the Vikings. Chiefs? Raiders? Jaguars? Maybe. But it will never happen.)

If the Bills were to move out of Buffalo, me and the rest of the Buffalo fans would throw such a big fit we'd make the Cleveland Browns relocation incident of the 90s look like a minor fracas between the fans and management.

Come on Man. Don't try to compare Bills fans to Browns fans. I've seen how empty your stadium has been in resent years. And don't get me started on those awesome crowds they had there in the early to mid 1980's. Bills fans only show up when their winning. So no, I don't think the outcry for the Bills if they were to move would be anywhere close to what the Browns got.

But will never find out because the Bills aren't going anywhere.

All 8 bills games were sell outs this year with a 5-11 record

And all were also last year also.

saBS.png

LA is first for a reloaction then it is San Antonio, TX so Chicago has to be 3rd on that list

San Antonio? No way.

I dunno, one of the ten largest cities in the country, you will notice they had sell-outs or near sell-outs in all three of the Saints games, ready made stadium...

Sounds like they are up there on the NFL's radar. Anyway, besides LA, who would you put ahead of San Antonio.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

San Antonio has ZERO chance of getting an NFL team. Being in New Orleans, I've been watching the situation closely. The San Antonio fans were wonderful, turning up to watch a crappy Saints team. But I cant see the other greedy owners supporting a move to a small market where they cant stuff their pockets with maximum dollars. I dont believe the NFL is sincere about wanting the Saints to stay here and the knowledgable fan expects them to leave in two years, taking the jack*** owner with them. The destination will be unknown , but I dont believe San Antonio is in the running.Chicago would be behind L.A.

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

San Antonio has ZERO chance of getting an NFL team. Being in New Orleans, I've been watching the situation closely. The San Antonio fans were wonderful, turning up to watch a crappy Saints team. But I cant see the other greedy owners supporting a move to a small market where they cant stuff their pockets with maximum dollars. I dont believe the NFL is sincere about wanting the Saints to stay here and the knowledgable fan expects them to leave in two years, taking the jack*** owner with them. The destination will be unknown , but I dont believe San Antonio is in the running.Chicago would be behind L.A.

SA is deffently ahaead of Chicago in the running. As far as profits go, a team in Chicago would split the fan support netween the new team and the Bears. A team in SA will get the entire city to itself. Also, can we stop callin Benson names? He's making a smart decision. It's a sad fact, but the city of NOLA will be unable to support a pro team until 2009, at the earliest.

As for LA, well the NFL wants a team there. The Chargers lease runs out in 07. The city council of SD is in no position to approve a new stadium. The Chargers have stated that LA is there secondary market, even holding training camp there. Football fans in LA want the the Chargers, and the Chargers want to be in LA. IMO it's a lock the Chargers will head to LA once their lease runs out in SD.

Best thing about the Chargers moving to LA? No divisonal re-alighnment (Same can be said with the Saints going to SA).

If the Bills were to move out of Buffalo, me and the rest of the Buffalo fans would throw such a big fit we'd make the Cleveland Browns relocation incident of the 90s look like a minor fracas between the fans and management.

Come on Man. Don't try to compare Bills fans to Browns fans. I've seen how empty your stadium has been in resent years. And don't get me started on those awesome crowds they had there in the early to mid 1980's. Bills fans only show up when their winning. So no, I don't think the outcry for the Bills if they were to move would be anywhere close to what the Browns got.

But will never find out because the Bills aren't going anywhere.

All 8 bills games were sell outs this year with a 5-11 record

And all were also last year also.

Don't pay him any attention. Acording to him, the Cleveland Browns are the only team in history of sports to have a loyal fanbase. Everyone else has fair-weather fans :rolleyes:

Let's assume (and it is a big IF) that the NFL sees a major shake up of franchises like it did in the 80's. I would expect to see this:

San Diego Chargers ---> Los Angeles Chargers

Oakland Raiders--------> Los Angeles Raiders

(Talk about an amazing rivalry ready to go. Put them in the same stadium.)

New Orleans Saints -----> Las Vegas Outlaws

Buffalo Bills -------------> Toronto Buffaloes

(Only Toronto among Canadian cities can maintain NFL prices and make $

and they would still be in range of most diehard Bills fans.)

And just because it was the original premise...

Jacksonville Jaguars ------> Chicago Hogs (Fits with Bulls, Bears, Cubs and

Chicago is "Hogbutcher to the world--Carl Sandburg)

Let's assume (and it is a big IF) that the NFL sees a major shake up of franchises like it did in the 80's. I would expect to see this:

New Orleans Saints -----> Las Vegas Outlaws

Buffalo Bills -------------> Toronto Buffaloes

(Only Toronto among Canadian cities can maintain NFL prices and make $

and they would still be in range of most diehard Bills fans.)

I would imagine that the major American sports leagues are all done expanding to Canada. But yeah, I could se Jacksonville moving. Hopefully someplace in the Southeast to maintain divisional alignment, but the NFL doesn't seem to care about that so I guess we shouldn't either. (Indianapolis in the South? Sure...)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Lets compare shall we?

San Antonio: stadium

loyal fanbase

One of the ten largest cities in America

less immediate competition-sure there are two other Texas teams, but they aren't in market.

not a small market, more like a medium

Chicago: No stadium (and no chance of one, unless a bunch of legislators want to get voted out of office-BTW it's an election year in Illinois)

loyal fanbase (assuming you win)

One of the three largest cities in the country

immediate competition in proximety-the Bears, and once you leave Chicago, the Rams, Colts, and Packers have decent fan contingents in Illinois.

major market

I honestly can't see how Chicago would be ahead of San Antonio

Also, I second Icecap's sentiment. We can stop calling Benson names-he's facing a lack of support from fans and has had his market drastically reduced (and he was thinking about moving pre-Katrina). He's just being a smart businessman.

Today, we are all otaku.

Lets compare shall we?

San Antonio: stadium

loyal fanbase

One of the ten largest cities in America

less immediate competition-sure there are two other Texas teams, but they aren't in market.

not a small market, more like a medium

Chicago: No stadium (and no chance of one, unless a bunch of legislators want to get voted out of office-BTW it's an election year in Illinois)

loyal fanbase (assuming you win)

One of the three largest cities in the country

immediate competition in proximety-the Bears, and once you leave Chicago, the Rams, Colts, and Packers have decent fan contingents in Illinois.

major market

I honestly can't see how Chicago would be ahead of San Antonio

Also, I second Icecap's sentiment. We can stop calling Benson names-he's facing a lack of support from fans and has had his market drastically reduced (and he was thinking about moving pre-Katrina). He's just being a smart businessman.

Rams 80 and Icecap,If you would actually experience what we've experienced with Benson through the last 10 years, jack*** is letting him off easy. Lack of fan support? What is this based on? The four games at a college stadium 80 miles away? There are dead bodies still being recovered in some neighborhoods, so football is still a little off the radar right now. Pass judgement after the 2006 season on the fan support angle. Back to Benson,He's had a sweetheart deal (all concession profits from the Superdome, yearly 15 million dollar payments from the state and the state (ie. taxpayer , ie ME) bought him a training facility. His out of pocket expenses as an owner are the lowest in the league. This is all fact based. Do your research. This team has been the most loyally supported without winning in the league. As far as San Antonio , the Alamodome is hardly an NFL stadium. How many corporate suites (any?) does it have? And according to the San Antonio papers, BUSINESSES bought up over half the tickets to the last two games. Do you think that would play out well financially for the whole season. It would be wise for a businessman to leave a situation that is not finacially feasible. However , the support he was given as an owner should give him the desire to allow the city that it can and will support. I respect your opinions , but this one hits close to home. Just my .02...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world, and I love it, but I don't think there's a good reason to plunk a second NFL team there now. Everybody loves the Bears now, you're not gonna be able to split the mighty Chicago Bears fanbase with the relocated Saints.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived