Thank God!

nsentv

amen!

now the Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors specials and season premires will begin on time without all those sappy playoff baseball games bumping them. wayyy overdue.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but what will FOX have if it doesn't have baseball? The World Series got miserable ratings - about an 11 - but that's still better than the network's average rating. They're very unlikely to get back into the NHL business anytime soon. 95% of the affiliates voted not to match Disney's offer in 1999. And that Stars-Sabres series was such a de-crescendo that I think it left a bad taste in the mouths.

Major League Baseball is likely to insist that the League Championship Series be on broadcast television. And the thing to remember is that, in three weeks, ABC Sports as we know it will cease to exist. Monday Night Football was theirs. Every other property is the bidding of ESPN. They'll have the NBA (twenty regular season games, seven or eight playoff games, and the Finals), NASCAR (the Chase), IRL (including the 500), college football (including the Rose Bowl), a useless pittance of college basketball, and some figure skating.

As much as people hate Fox and its coverage, at least they broadcast a lot of games. I remember the years of NBC Game of the Week, and later on CBS, you'd be lucky to see 4 or 5 Saturday games, all around the middle of the summer, because they were also busy covering NASCAR, Horse Racing and Golf. All Fox had was baseball (until they got NASCAR), so they had more time to devote to baseball than the other networks.

NBC still has Arena Football, NASCAR, NHL and some golf on weekends, CBS has golf and probably some other sports, ABC has the NBA and golf. None of those networks really has any free weekends until after the All-Star break. And forget about September- college football on all networks except Fox.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Actually, the NBC Game of the Week aired every week during the regular season. It was CBS that only aired twelve regular season games. Those were the days; Game of the Week and Monday Night Baseball, Al Michaels and Vin Scully. It beats the hell out of Costas and Buck or, as I like to call them, White and Bread.

I can't imagine why NBC would not renew its deal with the AFL. As meager as the ratings are, the Peacock still turns a profit from it. As for NASCAR, they dumped it to free up $200 million per annum for the NFL deal. Also, they can't've paid that much money to get a 3.5 rating on a Saturday night. They can pay the NHL nothing, get that rating, and still come out in the black.

Speaking of OLN, getting the NHL for them was genius.

I think bottom-of-the-barrel ratings would tell you otherwise.

Still like 10 times better than anything else on OLN gets.

If more than half the country actually got OLN, I'm sure ratings would be better than what ESPN got. Although OLN still needs some practice. Got a lot of bugs to work out before the playoffs.

Speaking of OLN, getting the NHL for them was genius.

I think bottom-of-the-barrel ratings would tell you otherwise.

Still like 10 times better than anything else on OLN gets.

If more than half the country actually got OLN, I'm sure ratings would be better than what ESPN got. Although OLN still needs some practice. Got a lot of bugs to work out before the playoffs.

OLN screwed the fans out of good television by bringing in the NHL. I'm thinking if not for OLN, the NHL would have went back to ESPN at a cheaper price and the fans would be happy ... we would also still have Gary Throne and Steve Levy doing hockey. :mad:

6uXNWAo.png

A few things:

Joe Buck did a nice job for Cardinal local games BEFORE he became this national sportscaster, if you can call it that. Now i swear him and Al Hrabosky have a bet who can say the most outragous thing on Fox Sports Net during the week without getting fired. He sucks nationally but trust me, he's good on a local level. I can't wait for Mike shannon and John Rooney.

Bob Uecker is an amazing anouncer. The best part of Miller Park is standing in the Right Field Corner concourse cause you can watch the game and listen to him live. Not only that, you can buy a couple Uecker seats for 2 bucks and go where ever you want.

He was a 3rd man in the both in 1996 and 1994 for the All-Star game with Joe Morgan and Bob Costas. I remember him doing a "Juuuuuust a bit outside" call in one of the games. That was a pretty good team actually.

Interestingly enough, Howard Cosell annouced the All Star game a few times and a couple of those WITH Keith Jackson. I would love to have heard that. I bet that was as cool as the replay of the first game at Busch Stadium I heard late one night. Harry Carey with Jack Buck.

Joe Buck needs to stick to Cardinals baseball, because I can't stand him. I've heard a lot worse, but in the playoffs when things are exciting, he talks like he's got something better to do, while McCarver slobbers gobbledy gook. Jon Miller's my current favorite TV baseball broadcaster, I like his voice. It's professional, but exciting, and it has that seasoned knowledgable slight to it that takes me a step further into the game.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Tony Gwynn is the head coach of the San Diego State baseball team. I don't think he'd leave them to go to ABC.

David

He does ESPN work (He's usually the 'B' analyst on Wednesday night's West Coast games) after the SDSU season ends, which puts him on TV by the 2nd or 3rd month of the season. He doesn't miss much.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm glad, Tony's a great analyst. I'm kinda surprised he'd do TV work, with recruiting and stuff going on. But I guess since MLB and NCAA Baseball and in different times of the year, it works out well.

David

Can you think of a better recruiting tool than being Tony Gwynn and having your face on nationwide cable?

Archived