Bryant drops 81 on Raptors

officeglenn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bryant's nothing more than a ball hog.

Big difference.

If he's a ballhog and he sucks it's one thing. But if he's a ballhog and he's playing excellent ball, then it's something completely different. Chamberlain was a ballhog the night he scored 100. Sorry, but I think your argument is moot.

If I have a team and one guy makes the first 25 shots he attempts, and the rest of the team is 2-for-20...I'm pretty sure I want the ball in my "ballhog's" hands.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What's all this not a team player trash? Listen, the team wins. Not only do they win, but they come back from 16 down to win. Whatever works, works. I'm sure any player on the Lakers would rather win than lose, no matter their scoring output or Kobe's scoring output.

If it happened to be ANYONE else (well other than Allen Iverson) no one would have one negative word to say. People just will find a way to hate on Kobe no matter what. There isn't a damn thing he can do. So, let the Kobe haters hate their asses off. I'm just going to enjoy his game while I can.

Love the player. Love the game.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Bryant's nothing more than a ball hog.

Big difference.

If he's a ballhog and he sucks it's one thing. But if he's a ballhog and he's playing excellent ball, then it's something completely different. Chamberlain was a ballhog the night he scored 100. Sorry, but I think your argument is moot.

If I have a team and one guy makes the first 25 shots he attempts, and the rest of the team is 2-for-20...I'm pretty sure I want the ball in my "ballhog's" hands.

The difference between Chamberlain and Bryant can be summed up in the same way that Chamberlain himself summed up the differences between himself and Michael Jordan when they met just prior to the introductions of the NBA's 50th anniversary team. Jordan was trying to rib Chamberlain, claiming that he was the best player of all time. To paraphrase what was reported as being said:

Jordan: "C'mon, Wilt. Admit it - I was the best of all time."

Chamberlain: (looking down on Jordan) "Young man, you're marketable, and the NBA exploited that by modifying its rules to help your style of play. In my day, they modified the rules to stop me."

At which point the crowd, most of whom were Basketball Hall of Famers (or who soon would/will be) dispersed in agreement, realizing that Wilt had stated the obvious.

Chamberlain was the real deal. Bryant's little more than hype.

Chamberlain carried teams on his back to championship appearances. Bryant slings female 19-year old hotel employees on their backs to get his jollies.

nav-logo.png

^^Most irrelevant argument ever. I like how you bring up Kobe having sex with a 19 year old like it's bad news. What was Chamberlain's sex life like? Was he pretty monogamous? I forget...

Kobe might be a ballhog, but he's GOOD, and lives up to the hype. Take the blinders off, MadMac. If you don't think Kobe is a great player, you're on crack, or completely ignorant.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Crying non stop at the moment...my Raptors blew an 18 point lead....i don't give a crap about kobe...18 points blown....I must admit after he scored 50 the raptors were in awe, chuck swirsky agreed.

He was in the zone. Nothing you could do about that.

This pretty much guarantees him for the hall of fame...if anyone had doubts

-3 championships

-7 time all star

-all star mvp in 2002

-80 point night

-slam dunk winner

-nba defense first team

-all nba first team

-future olympic gold medalist or medalist at least. (2008)

-which bring me to my next topic, how come we never hear much about the NBA HOF.

But Michael has an NCAA title. haha

The only halfway decent player on Kobe's team is a very overrated Lamar Odom. What's he supposed to do? Pass to him (1-7 tonight), or Smush Parker? Or George? Please. Let Kobe takes as many shots as he wants, so long as he makes more than he misses. This guy is MVP, without a doubt -- this Lakers team is among the worst in the league without Kobe. The guy absolutely takes over in the 4th quarter like no other player in the league.

Now, just out of curiosity... why did this 'ball hog' talk just start over the past two years? I didn't hear this when he was winning championships with Shaq. The reason I bring this up is because last year he set a career high in assists, and this year, he's on par with his career average.

IUe6Hvh.png

Man, you wonder if you were actually watching a real basketball game or if someone was using a PS2 to play the game.

Also, who cares if he's not dishing the rock, he single handedly defeated an entire team (Granted, it's Toronto, but it's a team). If someone has the hot hand, you give him the ball and let 'em fire the rock.

ok so i am going to give my two cents..........i think that all you Kobe haters need to get a hobby......he made a mistake ok big deal lets all get off our collective high horses here and take a moment to step back and realize what we have just seen here 81 points in ONE game........this is history and also he has to carry his team and play this kind of basketball because they are a terrible team without him.........if he did this a couple years back when they had mailman, glove, and desiel then sure give him crap about being a ball hog but i am jackson i give him full athority to shoot whenever.....and the comment that was made earlier i would agree with........had KG droped this many we would all be less critical becasue he was being a ball hog........so i think that we need to look at this from a historical perspective and realize what we have just seen

About the Raptors' defense letting Kobe making 81 points...

[voice of Bill Terry] Is Toronto still in NBA? [/voice]

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Very impressive feat. Shame it had to be done by a creep like Bryant.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Be it noted that he took 46 shots and the rest of the team took 42. (As an aside, he took 20 of the team's 33 foul shots and took 13 of the team's 23 shots).

No player is that good that he should be taking over half the team's shots.

Obviously Kobe is.

Man, the Sonics and Suns have to be pissed. They played a 152-149 double overtime game and nobody's gonna know about it...

By the way, Michael Jordan's career high was 69. He never scored 70. Not even in his selfish prime (before Phil Jackson). Granted, Jordan's still better than Kobe. But 81? No player other than Wilt has scored more. None. That's incredible.

Kobe is an amazing player. The "li'l more than hype" argument does not hold water. But no single player -- not even MJ -- can win championships all by himself. Kobe first, last and always may be enough to beat the Raptors in January, but come playoff time the Lakers will be first round losers.

My beef w/ Kobe is not that he's overhyped, nor that he carries his team. My beef is that his team sux in large part because Kobe was largely responsible for driving the rest of the talent away. I think Kobe wanted to prove that he could carry a team all by himself. He feuded w/ Shaq and Phil and demanded that the front office choose between them. Kobe won that power struggle, but at the expense of the players who could help him add to his tally of titles.

It would not surprise me if Kobe never wins another ring. That's a shame, IMO. His individual ability is undeniable, but that alone is insufficient to ensure his place in the Pantheon. Making teammates better, working together to win championships -- that's how a player of Kobe's supreme talent builds a legacy of greatness.

Archived