"The Anaheim Ducks" *merged*

Mr. Vicious

So is anyone else excited that Disney will finally be purged from professional sports?  Those Angels jerseys were certainly regrettable, and it's nice to see a pro sports team soon to be called just "Ducks." 

The mallard is certainly an underused sports namesake, and considering we have falcon, eagle, oriole, cardinal, and blue jay in circulation, duck makes a fine avian influence.

I am delighted Disney is gone! And they can take that ridiculous name, logo and eggplant color with them!

I remember I lived in SoCal when they first appeared. Disney literally threatened to sick their lawyers on anyone in the media who dared referred to them as anything other than the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." Unreal, but so predictable.

And yes, more Mallard ducks, not just yellow or Donald looking ducks. The name would be more suitable for a team in the Midwest though. Speaking of which in Wisconsin, there is the Madison Mallards independant league team. Good name, lame logo.

pinstripe_wallpaper.jpg

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a Ducks fan ever since they became a team in 1993. Personally, I'd rather they kept the name 'Mighty Ducks' and just changed the jersey, logo, etc. I think Anaheim Mighty Ducks sounds better than just Anaheim Ducks.

I've been a Ducks fan ever since they became a team in 1993. Personally, I'd rather they kept the name 'Mighty Ducks' and just changed the jersey, logo, etc. I think Anaheim Mighty Ducks sounds better than just Anaheim Ducks.

Ducks fan since the beginning, too.

Personally, all things considered, I think this is the best we could have hoped for.

I ties to the team's history and breaks the Disney tie at the same time.

Also, "POND" doesn't tie to the Pirates, the Crush, the SigAlerts or anything else very well ... and you know the current owner isn't going to lose the name of his key piece of real estate.

Personally, I'm not planning on wearing anything but my good old jersey for now. But, I don't want to be like the kings fans still wearing a "33" jersey and be living in '93, either.

I guess we owe that guy who started this thread an apology....

Now if we could only get some confirmation on the rumors about the Reebok jerseys...

Think they'll be revealed over the Olympics as well?

I'll say i'm sorry to Mr.Vicous, for being a little rude. honestly, though was he the first one to suggest Anaheim Ducks? no way though i had my heart set on the California (Golden) Seals :winner: , anyhting is better then "Mighty Ducks"! :puke: i mean that's like an MLB team being called the "Bad News Bears" :puke:

untitled-6.jpg

I was living in L.A. when the Mighty Ducks came to be...

I watched a lot of their games that first season...the thing that made me crazy, was how they would have Tinkerbell come across the screen with her magic wand after every Ducks goal...

:blink:

I watched a lot of their games that first season...the thing that made me crazy, was how they would have Tinkerbell come across the screen with her magic wand after every Ducks goal...

Yes, but what are their new Pantone values going to be?

And what are Tink's pantones?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

OMG. You can't be serious? Tinkerbell?!

Dumbest.

Idea.

Ever.

OK, so they can't be called the "Mighty Ducks" anymore for whatever reason, but do they have to stick with "Ducks" at all?

If you are going to change, why not go all the way and pick something cool and exciting instead?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

OMG. You can't be serious? Tinkerbell?!

Dumbest.

Idea.

Ever.

OK, so they can't be called the "Mighty Ducks" anymore for whatever reason, but do they have to stick with "Ducks" at all?

If you are going to change, why not go all the way and pick something cool and exciting instead?

I don't believe that they CAN'T be called Mighty Ducks any more. The team and the name were sold by Disney. Everythin I have heard is that the owners WANTED to change the name.

And yes, Tinkerbell did go across the screen ... and tap the goal scorer on the shoulder.

Well, honestly (and I went into it above), but how would you feel if new ownership came in and the Wild to "something cool and exciting"?

Let's be honest, your team's name has seen its share of ridicule around the league.

But when push comes to shove, would you really want the team's entire history -- including the impressive run to the WCF in '03 -- being pushed into the dark recesses with a new name and new colors?

Personally, I heard some OK suggestions for Anaheim, and some really bad ones, too.

But, in the end, I personally like the tie to history -- and all the games I've seen -- over a completely fresh start. It clearly breaks with the Disney ownership and still recognizes that the team has been here for 13 years.

I like the name. Its still original and different, ties into the team's history and in essence its just a maturation step for the franchise away from it's Disney-movie foundings. I just wish they would keep the current logo in some form, even just as an alt. or shoulder logo, but that doesn't sound like that is happening.

BTW: Lots of links to us on the Duck's message board on their official website in their name change thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Yes, but what are their new Pantone values going to be?

And what are Tink's pantones?

I have no idea what the new colors and Pantones will be. None. Nada. This is all news to me too.

Tinkerbell -- finding out her Pantone colors will now be my new obsession...I will not sleep until I find them.

Or not.

:P

Here's the L.A. Times story on the change (requires registration/bugmenot.com):

Ducks to Lose Their Might

The funniest thing in the article was the revelation that Disney chief Mike Eisner, who had personally chosen the Mighty Ducks name for the team, was flirting with the idea of naming the baseball team the Mighty Angels.

Sheesh, no wonder Disney got rid of this bozo.

Another great line:

Guy Hebert, the team's original goaltender ...  said the old name was "cartoonish" but made sense for Disney and did not bother the inaugural squad.

"And guys like [enforcers] Stu Grimson and Todd Ewing would beat some sense into people who laughed," Hebert said.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Huh. Reading that Mighty Ducks board, and reading "Administrator"s comments, orange and green are not guarenteed to be the colors. Take that for whatever it's worth...

And even in the OC article and LA Times article, the Ducks' owner said a decision won't be made until the end of the season. Maybe it's just a bluff, maybe it's not. Who knows...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Tony Tavares, the former Disney sports chief, said he considered Eisner's flirtation with calling the baseball team the Mighty Angels of Anaheim "the second-stupidest idea I've ever heard in the history of sports," with the Mighty Duck name at No. 1.

:lol:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived