Houston MLS is...

Brian in Boston

Hell I watch Golf and I finmd that more exciting then soccer.

This probably says more about you than it does the sport.

Amen.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that the fans should come up with the nickname. DC United supporters are called the Screaming Eagles. I think thats a cool nickname for the team. Dallas, Houston, and Real will come up with their nicknames in time.

The Screaming Eagles are but one of many different supporters groups, including La Norte and Barra Brava. These are not nicknames for D.C.U. in any way, shape or form.

Other supporters groups around MLS include The Midnight Riders (NE Revolution), Empire Supporter's Club (Metrostars), The Loyalists (RSL), The Inferno (DAL), LA Riot Squad (LA Galaxy), Glaxians (LA Galaxy) and the Barn Burners (CHI) and that's just a sampling over the league.

Truth be told, Americans don't like soccer unless it's Americanized, like indoor are something. So the MLS attempts at making it more European is just dumb. Your average American who watches baseball, football, basketball, etc are going to reject anything European.

I wouldn't call it dumb. Rather it is the way to grow a solid, legit, professional soccer league. The average American football, basketball, baseball fan will never like soccer simply because it is soccer. They will never give it a chance. So why waste time trying to appease them?

No, instead the MLS is correct in courting the true soccer fans who want real soccer, not Americanized soccer. In the long run it will prove for the most stable of leagues. If they continue to go down the road of "indoor soccer" and alike, they will most certainly fail.

Cool they're back. I remember when they were a team of mostly SFSU team players...I saw them play against the Central Coast (San Luis Obispo) Roadunners at Cal Poly. Im glad to see them back, although MLS would be stupid not to return. SF had offerd a SSS at some point for the Earthquakes, not sure what the deal was, but Kraft baucked.

And the year Texas won it's independence from Mexico. The year the Alamo fell and the battle of San Jacinto, just a few miles south of present day Houston.

While true, the 1836 is specifically meant to reference the founding of Houston as far as why the name was chosen.

but we can run down this road all day, prolly.

Am I the only one that doesn't know the significance of 1836 in Houston? What is the significance?

It will also be a punchline for jerkoff sportscasters around the country "Houston 1836....No , Bob , thats not the attendance , thats the team name...HERR HERR HERR...'

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

The logo looks nice, though it seems like something designed for an All-Star Game.

As for the name, Houston 1836, as well as any other Euro knockoff, can bite my shiny metal et cetera and so on.

looks a lot like the NBA all star logo for next year!!!!

same city too! hmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good Lord! This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. It's a number. They aren't called the Houston (insert your favorite Mexican slur)s.

I realize they are trying to court the Hispanic community, but they will not support them anyway. I think it's pretty much been proven that immigrant communities do not support American soccer teams in any great numbers. They allegiances are to their favorite clubs in their homeland. I guarantee this will happen in the near future. The Houston club will schedule a doubleheader with a friendly between two Mexican teams to precede their MLS match. Perhaps it will be held at Reliant Stadium. The turnout for the Mexican friendly will be huge. The attendance for the second match will be no better than their average.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Archived