LSU Tigers

BigShoop

tulanebc-

LSU was a powerhouse in the 50s, 70s, late 80s and present day. The only time LSU has struggled was between 91-94 and 98-99. Few programs have consistantly stayed among the national elite, and LSU is no different. Wins don't even consitute tradition at LSU. Most of what the people take pride in are "off the field"...tailgating, Tiger Stadium, the Golden Band from Tigerland/Golden Girls, Mike, the eye, white jerseys, night games, etc. LSU has done a good job of updating the image of the athletic program/university while keeping the LSU experience the same as it was generations ago. That is tradition.

It is sad when Tulane fans will watch LSU hoping they lose before they watch Tulane hoping they win.....

eyecopy1tn.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's LSU's current helmet:

LSU_helmet.jpg

The ONLY thing that needs to change is the tiger head. They need to use the head from this logo.

tigers.gif

That's the worst idea since, well, the beginning of time.

A. The new tiger is BLACK and gold.

B. It looks really NOT-intimidating.

C. It's terribly executed, but in a bad way.

See fig. 1

tigers.png

How can you say the current tiger head looks good? It's awful, very poorly drawn. The new logo is much cleaner looking.

LSU_helmet.jpg

The ONLY thing that needs to change is the tiger head. They need to use the head from this logo.

tigers.gif

See fig. 1

tigers.png

How can you say the current tiger head looks good? It's awful, very poorly drawn. The new logo is much cleaner looking.

The tiger head on the current helmet is taken from a photo of Mike III i believe. The photo was taken from straight on when he was growling at the camera man(I dont think he was too happy). So the tiger isnt a bad drawing, its just really a colorized photo. That was the only tiger logo LSU had for years. The cartoon tiger is something new created to give LSU more of an actual "logo" as opposed to a word font.

LSU_helmet.jpg

tigers.gif

See fig. 1

tigers.png

The tiger head on the current helmet is taken from a photo of Mike III i believe. The photo was taken from straight on when he was growling at the camera man(I dont think he was too happy). So the tiger isnt a bad drawing, its just really a colorized photo. That was the only tiger logo LSU had for years. The cartoon tiger is something new created to give LSU more of an actual "logo" as opposed to a word font.

Exactly. The tiger is not poorly drawn. It's a really nice, old-style illustration with a lot of ferocity and emotion, unlike Toonces, which just plain blows. Look at how terrible that "smooth" looking tiger is drawn. Toonces gets an "F" in both a drawing class an a logo class, whereas the old tiger is a great drawing, even though it's not a great modern logo by today's standards. It has a novelty and charm you don't find very often today. You find it at Arkansas with the razorback drawing, at South Carolina with the gamecock in the C, you get the idea. Sure, they could be updated, but that doesn't mean the originals are bad. They're just from a different era, and thus have a classic tone. Toonces is the wrong way to update a logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I grew up in Baton Rouge and am still passionate about LSU football. I'm not as bound by tradition as some fans, however, and wouldn't mind a new helmet logo, provided it has nothing to do with either the Cincinnati Bengals or the recent Toonces design. The current logo, after all, was basically slapped together with little thought, after complaints that the previous LSU lettering was too small (see the 1972 helmets for an idea of that design). I wouldn't mind a change, but I have to admit that I haven't seen a proposal that I really like so far.

you don't find very often today. You find it at Arkansas with the razorback drawing, at South Carolina with the gamecock in the C, you get the idea. Sure, they could be updated, but that doesn't mean the originals are bad. They're just from a different era, and thus have a classic tone.

Arkansas did update the Razorback logo on the helmet about five years ago...not too noticeable, but they cleaned it up...

Calling one Mr. Robbman!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'll take it from here :D

In 2001 (Nike's first of 2 seasons doing U of A uniforms) the feet on the Razorback logo were lifted up and pointed forward,to show swift movement.Before

this they were pointed downward and back in a much more natural position.The only time you see a hog with it's feet in the current position is when you just got it out of the pit and you're serving up on the table....it's completely unnatural yet I do like it...as do most Arkansas(save for my dad...who still prefers the late 60's- mid 80's 'fat' hog).

About LSU,I love their helmet but would like to see an updated tiger...updated of the current tiger that is.Also I think if you put the 'Geaux' font on there and kept it solid purple with no outline...and did'nt tell anyone...the HUGE majority of LSU and college football fans would not notice for a while.Both changes are something that could be done totally annonymously and would take a while to even catch-on even to the die-hard Tiger fan.

Also,for those above the Mason-Dixon line reading and posting in this thread,you guys have NO IDEA the strength,passion,and traditon of college football in the south and particularly the SEC.Where else do young men put on their Sunday best for a Saturday football game?And the girls attending get made-up like their going clubbing rather than to a ball game.You have 80 year-old ladies that everyone knows their names and she has'nt missed a game in 53 years.And I'm telling anyone here...if you EVER get a chance to come to Baton Rouge for a Saturday night game in Death Valley....you will NOT be sorry.The game could be crappy but the experience itself would make you not want to leave.This coming from a Razorback fan who saw my Hogs lose a heartbreaker there this year.

Back on subject,if I get time I'll try to work up something on the helmets...but it wont be much and I wont even consider touching the uniforms.

98Falcons.png

LSU_helmet.jpg

tigers.gif

See fig. 1

tigers.png

Bingo. The helmet tiger looks about as bad as that pirate logo floating around in the concepts section.

VmWIn6B.png

The helmet tiger looks about as bad as that pirate logo floating around in the concepts section.

This is either weird, or maybe it's just obvious, but I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. B)

And thanks robbman, I knew I could trust you!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I agree Robbman. I think an update of the current tiger, plaus the Geaux type on the helmet would make it perfect. The only thing I never liked about the jerseys is that they have the shoulder stripes, and then they have the sleeve cuffs in the same pattern. Always looked odd to me. Also, I hate how the helmet stripe is only purple and white, then the pants stripe has little yellow pinlines between the purple and white stripes. I HATE that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

geauxtigers.png

as requested to have the new tiger head on there, and the Geaux Tiger font.

I dont really like this tiger head on here, either use the old one, or come up with one all together. i feel the LSU logo in itself (the one with the full tiger above the LSU) is very poor, i dont like it.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

One of you graphic geniuses need to gimme some new LSU uniforms. They're horrible, and they're helmet is absolutely god awful.

Obvious flame attempt, but what would you expect from a guy with a Devil Rays banner? How many uniforms have they had in their dreadful existence?

you can almost guess how I feel about LSU's duds. Except for 1958 and the mid-late 80's, their "tradition" has been the last 5 years.

Actually, it would be the last six seasons (number of consecutive bowl games with four bowl wins in that time). Tulane has four bowl wins in 10 tries in its history, period. When you reach the status of a big-time Division I-A football powerhouse, then you get the right to call out LSU's supposed football tradition.

Tulane Bowl History

The LSU uniform is fine. The Tiger head on the helmet should be part of a new logo because the Toonces cat logo with the dropshadowed LSU Tigers is awful.

Not to sound like I don't know what i'm talking about here, but LSU and Tulane have had a intense hate for each other for years. The ONLY reason they are a powerhouse is simple: BCS. Without the BCS, there would be no powerhouses....thus the reason Tulane is strangled in a sub-par conference whose winner goes to a weak bowl game. Weak. And yes, even though we have a not-so-good bowl history, it's REALLY hard to compete in the south as a private school againstg a public college that can offer sub-par students the chance to skip a future and play in the NFL. I know money rules all, but so does a degree as a doctor.

There is a bigger picture than just bowl games here.

.....just a thought.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Ok as a lifelong Tulane fan, I will let all of you that don't know about the rivalry about it. Since the 1920's when LSU and Tulane first played football, the rivalry has been very intense. It's more of a hatred than a rivalry.

Yes, in the last few years, LSU's football program had been better than ours. But in '98, when the Tiggers had a poor season, and Tulane had an undefeated one, Tiger nation suddenly started rooting for us, until '99 when they went to the SEC championship game again. In the 90's, their men's and women's basketball teams struggled while ours flurished, that's why I'm wearing the ring that I am wearing. We won the Metro Conference in 1992 and went on to the NCAA men's tournnament while Dale's Tiggers were wishing that they were there. During the 1990's, TU's men's and women's programs made a combined 11 post-season appearances, while LSU's sat and watched.

Personally, I HATE THAT LOUSY STINKING UNIVERSITY IN BATON ROUGE!!!!

By the way, sorry we kicked your asses in Baseball the last three seasons. You really should think about getting Smoke outta there and bring in a real coach. Aloha!

dodgers-1.png

The die-hards won't like this, but a simple update like I've done here could work better than both the current tiger and better than Toonces, which is the poorest big collegiate logo in the history of the Earth. I personally think the Geaux type needs to be on there. The university spent so much money on this proprietary font, and then to not put it on the football helmet, one of the biggest billboards LSU has, is a waste. The letters are attractive, and not very different from those on the current helmet. If they want to unify the teams, this is a good way to start, in my opinion. How 'bout it?

lsuhelmet.png

Archived