Team Loyalties

gmlouisville

I root for the underdog in most sports, and often find myself rooting for a team that I have never followed...

BUT, I do have my standbys.

MLB- Cubs, Tigers.

NBA- Bulls, Pistons.

NFL- This is a tricky one. Due to geography(Lions), a team that was selected when I was in first grade (Packers) and family ties (Bears), I am stuck between the NFC North. I usually just root for the underdog in the NFL, because I can't pick a team at this point.

NHL- Blackhawks, Red Wings.

NCAA- Illinois, Michigan.

I realize that since my two homes (Ann Arbor and Champaign) are in the midwest, Most of my teams end up in the same conference. This can be a problem, but when they meet I usually end up rooting against the Michigan team.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One team and one team only. You can "always like" another team and pull for them. I guess I don't understand how you could root for more than one team when I've never liked another team.

IMO there is only one exception. You grew up rooting for a college your whole life, but then went to a different one. There can be some leeway there. But as far as rivals, I never would have applied to a rival school to the one I grew up loving. Iowa? Michigan? Indiana? Weren't even on my radar screen to go to.

Mine:

MLB: Cardinals

NFL: Bears

College: Illinois, which was my pro team growing up near Champaign. (I went to Carthage, a D3 school)

that's it. I'll watch a baseball game and root for one of the teams, same with any other sport. But i wouldn't call myself a fan of any other team. Its just me.

Well I started watching the NHL before the Flames were in Calgary--so I had a development of favorites--but they were supplanted by the Flames.

And when the North Stars left Minnesota, they stayed near the top, but moved down..

So NHL goes-(with any rank always surrendering to all above it.

1. Flames

2. Whichever team's win will help the Flames.

3. Canadiens

4. Islanders/Stars

5. Everybody else except...

28. Flyers

29. Canucks

30. Oilers

CFL--Stampeders--it's a 9 team league--hard to have a second favorite--but I will cheer for whoever will most help the Stamps if they win--or all other things being equal--whoever is playing the Eskimos.

NFL--I used to have an NFC team and an AFC team, but when the Seahawks switched to the NFC I just kind of dropped the other one.

Sometimes it's abotu old favorites, sometimes about who can help my team,, and sometimes about a player...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

infrared41 - six teams?  That's a cop-out...

And when exactly were you appointed overseer of such matters? Why is it somehow against the rules to simply enjoy sports as one sees fit? Furthermore, how am I "copping out?" I have three teams that have my complete allegiance. The Cleveland Indians, The Cleveland Browns, and The New York Rangers. If I there had been an NHL team in Cleveland when I was growing up then they would be my team. I am a homer of the first degree. I just mentioned that I have other "conference/league" teams that I enjoy as well. It's not like I am splitting my time between the Browns and Packers or Indians and Cardinals. My home town teams are by far and away my favorites. So I also enjoy watching other teams. What precisely is your problem with that?

Is your fandom somehow more legitimate than mine because you don't do things the way I do?

I don't think so. Spare me the "cop-out" talk chief. I have been doing this for a long time and after a while the rabid fan stuff gives way to just sitting back enjoying the spectacle. You should stop with the righteous indignation and try having a little fun. I am a sports fan. That's all. And it works for me. Sorry if it bugs you to the point of calling me out to tell me how wrong I am.

Oh and regarding the NCAA. I find it hilarious that you bust on me for my pro teams then turn around and say NCAA sports are the exception to your rule.

I have one college team. The Ohio State University Buckeyes. No exceptions. No others. That said, if you want to root for 65 NCAA teams I could care less. To each his own. Thanks for your concern and time. I enjoyed the discussion. :D

By the way did you happen to take a look at my signature? How many pro teams are there? Just the three I mentioned in my original post. Seems to me there are a lot of folks around here who have mutiple pro teams in their sigs. Where's the outrage on that?

BB52Big.jpg

MLB 1st Mets 2nd Yankees

NFL 1st Dolphins 2nd Buccaneers

NHL 1st Devils 2nd Rangers

NBA 1st Nets 2nd Heat

NCAA Football 1st Miami 2nd Notre Dame 3rd Rutgers

NCAA Basketball 1st Seton Hall 2nd Duke 3rd Rutgers

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

MLB 1st Mets 2nd Yankees

NFL 1st Dolphins 2nd Buccaneers

NHL 1st Devils 2nd Rangers

NBA 1st Nets 2nd Heat

NCAA Football 1st Miami 2nd Notre Dame 3rd Rutgers

NCAA Basketball 1st Seton Hall 2nd Duke 3rd Rutgers

Careful Tank. I got called out for having six "favorite" teams. By my count you have 14. Next thing you know no97 will be calling for us to be banned or something. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I'm a Twins and Vikings fan in MLB and the NFL. I root for the Timberwolves and any team Phil Jackson coaches (he is from North Dakota) in the NBA. And I kind of like the Wild in the NHL, but the Wild still hasn't really grown on me.

As for college, I really have no true-blue team except the local teams and Minnesota. Plus, I have a special place in my heart for Army, Navy and Air Force.

But here are the other teams I like (in other words, wouldn't cry if they won it all):

MLB: Indians, Angels, Royals, Cuibs, Cardinals, Nationals.

NFL: Colts, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Seahawks.

NBA: Suns, Kings.

NHL: Red Wings, Panthers (just because I like their logo), Avalanche, Maple Leafs.

Division I-A: UCLA, USC (yes, both UCLA and USC), Penn State, West Virginia, Nebraska, TCU, Fresno State.

MLB

Favorite: Arizona Diamondbacks

Others: Washington Nationals, Oakland Athletics, Los Angeles Angels

Notes: I grew up a Chicago Cubs fan. After trying for several years to maintain divided loyalties, I finally decided to give myself only to the Diamondbacks. The catalyst was the 2001 season. As any Arizona fan will recall, the team was spectacular all season long, w/ great pitching, timely hitting and a penchant for comebacks and late-inning heroics. The clincher was the 2001 World Series. While I harbor no ill will towards the Cubs, I decided to make a clean break and adopt whole-heartedly the club that plays in my backyard. ... I support the Nationals because I went to law school in DC and am so thankful that they no longer have to hear Peter Angelos claiming Washington as the Orioles' market. .... My dad took me to one of my first MLB games in Oakland when I was about 10 years old. I've liked the A's ever since. ... My appreciation for the Angels is a modern phenomenon. I like their style of play and many of their players.

NBA

Favorite: Phoenix Suns

Others: None

Notes: Suns fan por vida.

NFL

Favorite: Chicago Bears

Others: Arizona Cardinals

Notes: I was born in Chicago. Growing up in Arizona, we had no NFL team to follow. (Some contend we still have no NFL team here.) So I went w/ my roots and cheered for the Bears. ... I hope the Cardinals will win someday, but they've been so awful that I've never felt any real love for them -- and no reason to abandon my childhood favorite Bears.

NHL

Favorite: Phoenix Coyotes

Others: None

Notes: Not a big hockey fan, but if I'll cheer for the home team.

NCAA

Favorite: Arizona Wildcats

Others: Georgetown Hoyas

Notes: UA - Class of 1998. ... Georgetown Law - Class of 2001.

English Football

Favorite: Leeds United

Others: Arsenal

Notes: After the 2002 World Cup, I decided to pick a club team to follow so I could learn the sport better. I chose Leeds because at the time they were trying to fend off an overture from Manchester United for Rio Ferdinand. I knew that ManU were the Yankees of the EPL, so I figured anyone who was in conflict w/ them must be alright. I saw them as underdogs. How right I was! Within a year, financial mismanagement forced them to sell off most of their best players and had them well on their way to relegation. I stuck w/ them even after the drop and it looks like I'll be rewarded -- they're likely to win promotion to the Premiership this season. ... In the meantime, I've been pulling for Arsenal in the EPL on account of my favorite player, Thierry Henry. In honor of the striker and of Hank Aaron, I'm planning to name my firstborn son Henry.

Personally, I have 1 team I mainly cheer for in every sport, and then there's one or two that I also like.

My opinion is that as long as you have only 1 team as your main priority it's perfectly healthy. You don't have to have other teams you like, but don't take it out on others who do.

NFL Fav: Miami Dolphins

Also Like: Bills, Buccaneers

MLB Fav: Toronto Blue Jays

Also Like: Marlins, Dodgers

NBA Fav: Toronto Raptors :down:

Also Like: Suns

CFL Fav: Toronto Argos

Also Like: Ti-Cats

NHL Fav: San Jose Sharks*

Also Like: Any Canadian team except Ottawa

*Right now the NHL is different circumstances with me. I used to be a big Leafs fan but the strike really lost my interest in the NHL. I'm still getting some of it back, so with the help of Puckguy I'm trying to create a fresh new liking to the NHL. It's a little tough since Sharks games on TV are rare over here. While other games are on I usually am on the Canadian team's side, although I can't find it in myself yet to like the Senators.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

When you move from your hometown to somewhere new sometimes you pick up a rooting interest in a team in the new area. Some keep their old allegances. I grew up and spent the majority of my life in NY thus:

MLB: Yankees

NHL: Islanders

NFL: Jets

NCAA: Alabama (Alum)

Since I started seeing someone from SF I developed a rooting interest in the Giants. Living in Sac made me a Kings fan. Living in the Sharks broadcast area has me following the Sharks.

With the NFL though I root for players who went to school at Alabama when I was there. Thus I like the Seahawks because Sean Alexandar was there at the same time I was.

infrared41 - six teams?  That's a cop-out...

And when exactly were you appointed overseer of such matters? Why is it somehow against the rules to simply enjoy sports as one sees fit? Furthermore, how am I "copping out?" I have three teams that have my complete allegiance. The Cleveland Indians, The Cleveland Browns, and The New York Rangers. If I there had been an NHL team in Cleveland when I was growing up then they would be my team. I am a homer of the first degree. I just mentioned that I have other "conference/league" teams that I enjoy as well. It's not like I am splitting my time between the Browns and Packers or Indians and Cardinals. My home town teams are by far and away my favorites. So I also enjoy watching other teams. What precisely is your problem with that?

Is your fandom somehow more legitimate than mine because you don't do things the way I do?

I don't think so. Spare me the "cop-out" talk chief. I have been doing this for a long time and after a while the rabid fan stuff gives way to just sitting back enjoying the spectacle. You should stop with the righteous indignation and try having a little fun. I am a sports fan. That's all. And it works for me. Sorry if it bugs you to the point of calling me out to tell me how wrong I am.

Oh and regarding the NCAA. I find it hilarious that you bust on me for my pro teams then turn around and say NCAA sports are the exception to your rule.

I have one college team. The Ohio State University Buckeyes. No exceptions. No others. That said, if you want to root for 65 NCAA teams I could care less. To each his own. Thanks for your concern and time. I enjoyed the discussion. :D

By the way did you happen to take a look at my signature? How many pro teams are there? Just the three I mentioned in my original post. Seems to me there are a lot of folks around here who have mutiple pro teams in their sigs. Where's the outrage on that?

infrared41 - I (somewhat) appologise for singeling you out. I copied the wrong UserID into my post (I intended to copy gmlouisville's name, as he started the topic, not you - but, truthfully, you have eight "favorite" MLB teams listed... Come-on now).

Back on-topic - I say "cop-out," (and especially to gmlouisville) because those who've got arould 20-30% of a particular league (here's why pro sports are different from NCAA. You can have a few you like, that may never play each other (like my Notre Dame and Vanderbilt), so there realy is no conflicting loyalty - and you're cheering for less than 1% of the whole NCAA by picking even 3 teams) are covering their bases by saying, "I can root for a third of the league, and, when one or two are a winner, I can say I'm a fan of that team."

Now, I'm not saying I don't enjoy watching other teams besides my Cubs, or Bears play (and conversly that there are teams I won't watch play). For example, I'll always watch the A's if they're on TV, or the Red Sox, but I don't have much interest in watching a Yankees or White Sox game... But I'm not going to go and say I'm an A's or Red Sox fan...

Moose

edit - Plus, just to make everyone happy with my NCAA "fan-ness," here's the explanations:

Notre Dame Football - I had a good friend from High School (Jeremy Sample) go there in the mid-'90's and start at ILB...

Bemidji State (D-II Football and Hockey) - I do Public Address announcing for their football games, and am a member of the local media that covers the hockey team here in Bemidji, MN

Northern Michigan Hockey - attended NMU 1993-96

Vanderbilt Football and Basketball - my sister attended Vandy in the early '90's

Illinois Basketball - I grew up in suburban Chicago and always rooted for the Illini

Everyone happy now?

Die-hard fan of...

MLB: Houston Astros (don't know why, I've never had ties to Houston)

NBA: Detroit Pistons (hey, I'm originally from Detroit)

NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (gotta be a homer on this one)

NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning (again, a homer on this one)

NCAA: USF Bulls (am I an alumni if I put 2 years in before transferring :P)

AFL: Tampa Bay Storm (how can you complain with 5 ArenaBowl titles and 15 straight playoff appearances)

I will side with...

MLB: Tampa Bay Devil Rays (again, the homer comes out in me)

NBA: Orlando Magic (I've followed them from 1994 when I live on the East coast of Florida)

NFL: Detroit Lions (again, I'm originally from there, and only if they're decent and not playing the Bucs)

NHL: Detroit Red Wings (place of origin again, and only if they're not facing the Lightning)

NCAA: Florida State Seminoles (my collegiate choice before I went to USF) and Michigan Wolverines (many friends and family have went there and/or have kids going there)

infrared41 - I (somewhat) appologise for singeling you out.  I copied the wrong UserID into my post (I intended to copy gmlouisville's name, as he started the topic, not you - but, truthfully, you have eight "favorite" MLB teams listed...  Come-on now).

Back on-topic - I say "cop-out," (and especially to gmlouisville) because those who've got arould 20-30% of a particular league (here's why pro sports are different from NCAA.  You can have a few you like, that may never play each other (like my Notre Dame and Vanderbilt), so there realy is no conflicting loyalty - and you're cheering for less than 1% of the whole NCAA by picking even 3 teams) are covering their bases by saying, "I can root for a third of the league, and, when one or two are a winner, I can say I'm a fan of that team."

First of all, to quote myself from earlier...

For example, my favorite MLB team is the Reds. Always has been. Always will be. But I'm a huge baseball fan and like other teams as well. I would never cheer for any of them over the Reds if it came to it.

Since infared didn't like you picking on him, you'll just back it up and pick on me? Well, that's fine, but to appease your semantics, I never said they I was a huge fan of all those teams. I said I liked them. Also, I don't "claim" all of them either, if that makes you feel better. I like watching them and hoping they win. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with that. Also, earlier I said that having different teams I "like" (but I won't say I'm a fan of so no one sounds the alarm) keeps me involved in a league that I love above all others.

I love the Reds. But you know what? I love BASEBALL even more than that. There's nothing I enjoy like watching a Reds game in sports. But I'll watch a Dodgers/Rockies and be entertained. Why? You got it--because I love baseball . Having an interest in those other teams doesn't make me a bandwagoner, a hanger-on, a wish-wash--it makes me a baseball fan.

Again, I'll state categorically--I'd never cheer for anyone over the Reds. But I don't see anything wrong with supporting baseball and liking other teams in the process.

Everyone happy now?

One team and one team only. You can "always like" another team and pull for them. I guess I don't understand how you could root for more than one team when I've never liked another team.

IMO there is only one exception. You grew up rooting for a college your whole life, but then went to a different one. There can be some leeway there. But as far as rivals, I never would have applied to a rival school to the one I grew up loving. Iowa? Michigan? Indiana? Weren't even on my radar screen to go to.

Mine:

MLB: Cardinals

NFL: Bears

College: Illinois, which was my pro team growing up near Champaign. (I went to Carthage, a D3 school)

that's it. I'll watch a baseball game and root for one of the teams, same with any other sport. But i wouldn't call myself a fan of any other team. Its just me.

The above post was the correct answer, by the way.

Well, as far as how many teams you can cheer for. Not necessarily WHICH teams :P

It's where I sit.

Not to get into semantics, but there is a definite difference between terms here, which previous posters have gotten into.

"Cheer" or "root for" seems to imply simply wanting them to win. In certain situations, I think we all can and do cheer and root for several teams-- maybe your favorite team isn't in the playoffs or championship, but for the championship, you may cheer for a certain team because (1) you like a particular player (lots of people around New Orleans cheer for the Colts because of Peyton being from here); (2) they are a certain "image" (underdogs, or bad-asses, or "good guys"); or; (3) you can't stand the other team, and there is a sort of "the enemy of my enemy becomes my friend" sort of thing.

I think the more appropriate term would be if you are a "FAN" of a team. Now, to be a FAN of more than one team in a sport is a little tougher. Defining 'being a fan' means actively following and "cheering" for a team all the time, buying their logoed merchandise, etc. I think it's easiest in baseball, where there are two leagues who used to not even play each other except for the World Series. You could do the same things in regards to football, basketball and hockey conferences, but it's not quite as distinct of a break.

I think there are three basic reasons for mulitple-team fandom:

(1) The first is the 'hometown' effect meshed with the mobile nature of residents in our society. Many are the families who were from say, Cincinnati and were Bengals fans. Then the family moves to, say, Miami or Atlanta, and they start to develop an affinity for their "new" hometown teams while keeping an attachment to their "old teams. In such cases I see them being 'fans' of both teams.

(2) The second is the 'winner identity' factor, which is most tied to teams you "select" as a favorite when you are young. When I was growing up in the seventies, it didn't matter to us little boys that we had our own NFL team in the city that we rooted for. We all classified ourselves as either Steelers or Cowboy fans, 'cause those were the "winners" (as an aside, did you know that in the 70s, one of four teams-- the Steelers, Cowboys Dolphins or Vikings-- was in EVERY Superbowl?) Kids bought those teams' merch and looked up to those teams' players. Similarly, in the eighties, pretty much everyone come playoff time in the NBA was either a Lakers or Celtics fan.

(3) Thirdly, (and less noticeable or pronounced, as it is geared only towards college fandom) is the 'multiple education' factor. I cheer ALMOST equally for both my undergraduate and graduate colleges (LSU and Georgia Tech), as does my next door neighbor (Providence and Georgetown) and my boss (Vandy and Duke). I think that this dual collegiate fandom is common for those with more than one degree.

I myself am affected by both effects 1 and 3 (I'm WAY too old for #2 anymore, but to be honest, I still cheered for certain "winner" teams from my childhood well into my college years. Some of my friends still do, in fact).

I am a fan of my hometown New Orleans Hornets (NBA) and New Orleans Saints (NFL). I spent some years in Atlanta and Tampa, and thus became a Braves fan and Lightning Fan. I never got into the Falcons-- too much rivalry with the Saints--but the Buccaneers became my 2nd favorite NFL team, so in that regard I am a fan of both teams. And, as mentioned earlier, I am a fan of both LSU and Georgia Tech. Now I may cheer for other teams for whatever reasons-- I think we all have a tendency to pick sides in any contest-- but that is all the teams that I am a "fan" of.

^_^

It is what it is.

I see it that it's reasonable to have one team per league, however you can have other teams in the league that you like to win, its just my way of seperating my favourite teams from the other ones I like.

For me its like this

MLB - Favourite : Toronto Blue Jays, and I used to want the Expos to win but we all know what happened there.

NHL - Favourite : Montreal Canadiens, and I like when the Minnesota Wild win.

Soccer - Its a bit more complicated here, because I have the Toronto Lynx and Olympique Lyonnais, but they are in seperate leagues so it's allright. I also like to see Fulham and Tottenham win, because of their Canadian players.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived