Orlando Magic concepts (2)

Starchild

After watching the Magic/Knicks game last night, and looking into my closet (and a past concept) I decided that the Shaq-Penny era Magic jerseys are one of my favorites. Perhaps a little dated, but they were unique nonetheless. I think the pinstripes looked classy and the font used for the numbers were such a distinct, unique look from all other teams. Some saw that as a bad thing, I loved it.

Anyway, I decided to renovate my original 3 concepts from around a year/year-1/2 ago where I (like the Indiana Pacers concept) combined the various eras of the Magic. This time, I left their logo alone since it more or less does just that - updates the original logo slightly, but effectively. For the jerseys, I did two different versions of a home jersey/shorts combination (can't decide which looks best) and a second concept featuring the primary black road uniform and a 3rd blue jersey (blue was best used as the alternate, not primary). I brought back the pinstripes, added some simple side panels, and of curse brought back the distinct numbers instead of those boring, bland, generic looking once of the current uniforms.

MagicFinalConcept_Small.jpg

MagicFinalRoadConcept_Small.jpg

Feedback appreciated (and wanted) as always.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pinstripes return! YES! A+ Starchild, ya done good!

Ditto!

I love the old Magic unis with the pinstripes - in fact, I bought a blue, pinstriped Dwight Howard jersey off of ebay just a couple of weeks ago.

I really like what you did Starchild - no complaints. I prefer the big stars on the shorts, but I'm sure that most people prefer the other version because it's a bit cleaner. But either way I'm good.

I just want to see a return of the pinstripes and that font, and you did an excellent job on this concept.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

yeh these are good, there best uniforms were there first ones, i hada poster of Shaq in the black Orlando jersey on my wall for years.....then he wnet to LA so i got rid of it....but yeh these are nice designs ya got here, and the Stars in the wordmark are not ridicoulous and the numbers are not stupid...nice work, starchild

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Beautiful work as always.

I never liked pinstripes on basketball uniforms, but they worked for the Magic, and I can't say why that is.

I like the alternate blues more than going back to the blacks, only because it seemed like everyone was throwing black into their color mix when the Magic were founded. But the blue is unlike most other blues in pro sports (it resembles the Detroit Lions, but that's about it), and with more emphasis on the white with a minimum of black, they look very sharp. (Lions, take note...)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This concept is absolutely stellar. My only suggestion or criticism is that I really think the shorts you did with the star being part of the bottom of the flaring (or whatever you wanna call it) looks better than the other design you wound up using for the aways and alternates. Other than the side stripe/star thing you might try playing with some different number fonts. Though I'm aware you're going for the throwback feel, I'd still experiment a little. All in all though you've got an awesome design here.

MagicFinalConcept_Small.jpg

MagicFinalRoadConcept_Small.jpg

:notworthy: Outstanding work! I was always a fan of the Magic pinstripes (Ah for the days of Shaq and Little Penny :D), and you just made them even better! I prefer the shorts with the star on them, though both sets are definitely an upgrade over what the Magic wear currently.

Beautiful work as always.

I never liked pinstripes on basketball uniforms, but they worked for the Magic, and I can't say why that is.

I like the alternate blues more than going back to the blacks, only because it seemed like everyone was throwing black into their color mix when the Magic were founded. But the blue is unlike most other blues in pro sports (it resembles the Detroit Lions, but that's about it), and with more emphasis on the white with a minimum of black, they look very sharp. (Lions, take note...)

I agree with everything he said, and I'll add that I love the shorts with the star on the side.

Good job, man.

SigReflect.png

Archived