Nicknames of Displaced Teams W/Less Importance

iowahoo

I never thought of that....I thought the "official" name of the Dallas Stars was to have the "Lone" in there instead of North, but I guess not. Wouldve made sense.

How bout:

LA Rams - maybe in the hollywood hills?

St Louis Rams - isnt missouri pretty much flat?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the Colts.  Baltimore, Pimlico, Preakness: Colts.  Brilliant!  Indianapolis Colts?  That's why they're a chicken @$%& outfit and deserve to lose.

Agreed (particularly with the last sentence, though there are plenty of other reasons why they are a "chicken @$%& outfit"). I think Indiana may have some association/history with harness racing (I thought, incorrectly, that the Hambletonian was once run there until I checked to be sure), but the name just doesn't seem to fit the way it did in Baltimore.

The first GM was a Fordham Rams fan.

And he thought "Rams" was good for the headline writers because it was short.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

San Diego Chargers (LA Chargers... no Rodeo Drive in SD)

Sacramento Kings (KC Kings, KC Royals, must be something royal there)

Arizona Cardinals (Chicago Cardinals, cardinals in Arizona?)

Los Angeles Dodgers (Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers, trolleys in LA?)

Atuall they were the KC-Omaha Kings/Royals and before that they were the Cincinnati Royals

They were NEVER the KC Royals of the NBA.

They were:

Rochester Royals

Cincinnati Royals

Kansas City Kings

Kansas City-Omaha Kings

Sacramento Kings

I never thought of that....I thought the "official" name of the Dallas Stars was to have the "Lone" in there instead of North, but I guess not. Wouldve made sense.

How bout:

The L.A. Rams were the Cleveland Rams before they moved.

Franchise history

1 Cleveland Era (1937-1945)

2 L.A. Rams Part 1: Los Angeles Era (1946-1979)

3 L.A. Rams Part 2: Anaheim Era (1980-1994)

4 St. Louis Era (1995-Present)

If the Arizona Cardinals are named for the color instead of the bird, why do they have the bird as their logo?

If they are named for the bird, it doesn't make sense if they play in the Phoenix area yet cardinals don't exist in that area but rather somewhere else in the state.

It's not like the Seahawks or a Phoenix who are mythical birds who could exist anywhere. It's an actual bird.

How bout:

NO! Missouri is mostly full of the Ozark "Mountains" (re:hills, but very rolling and quite numerous) It gets a little flatter as you go north and the southeast bootheel is nothing but flat, you can see for thirty miles or more.

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

It's not like the Seahawks or a Phoenix who are mythical birds who could exist anywhere. It's an actual bird.

Isn't the "seahawk" referenced by the Seattle team just an osprey? A wikipedia search will say so.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And I'm sure theres a thing called LA Harbor....here it is

The Port of Los Angeles is located on San Pedro Bay in the San Pedro neighborhood of Los Angeles, approximately 20 miles (30 km) south of downtown.

Indeed there is its link: www.portoflosangeles.org

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Isn't the "seahawk" referenced by the Seattle team just an osprey? A wikipedia search will say so.

Could be. As far as what I've heard, the Seahawk is a mythical Native American bird. The tie in to the local Native American culture is furthered by the Totem Polesque graphic representation of it in the logo.

Now, that is just what I've heard from various sources in the region but I've never actually pinned it down as fact.

If the Arizona Cardinals are named for the color instead of the bird, why do they have the bird as their logo?

If they are named for the bird, it doesn't make sense if they play in the Phoenix area yet cardinals don't exist in that area but rather somewhere else in the state.

What else would they have as a logo? A tree?

:P

There ARE cardinals in the Phoenix area...however, why does it matter anyway? There aren't any bears in Chicago or lions in Detroit either.

Oh - and remember...the Rams started out in Cleveland...don't think that there are very many of those there...

Houston Rockets was the opposite of this

as are the Detroit Pistons, wern't they the Ft. Wayne Pistons before going to Detroit?

The Piston's original owner from the time the team was founded in Ft. Wayne was named Zollner, and he made his fortune with a company that made pistons so he named his team the "Pistons".

The name became a perfect fit when he moved the team to Detroit in 1957.

They were NEVER the KC Royals of the NBA.

They were:

Rochester Royals

Cincinnati Royals

Kansas City Kings

Kansas City-Omaha Kings

Sacramento Kings

That is close, but I think the KC/Omaha period was before the KC period, so they were:

Rochester Royals

Cincinnati Royals

Kansas City/Omaha Kings

Kansas City Kings

Sacremento Kings

According to the team site they went from splitting the home games between Kansas City and Omaha in 1972/73 to only playing a handful of games in Omaha after Kemper Arena opened. They dropped the "Omaha" from their names for the 1975/76 season, but still played 6-8 games in Omaha through the end of the 1977-78 season.

It's a good thing the Phoenix Roadrunners and the Phoenix Coyotes never faced each other. Given the outcome of every roadrunner/coyote altercation I've ever seen, it'd be an embarassment for the NHL.

This may the the first time in history this has happened when using the "LOL", but this post actually did make me laugh out loud. Well played sir.

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

According to the team site they went from splitting the home games between Kansas City and Omaha in 1972/73 to only playing a handful of games in Omaha after Kemper Arena opened. They dropped the "Omaha" from their names for the 1975/76 season, but still played 6-8 games in Omaha through the end of the 1977-78 season.

I'm not sure they played any more/less games in Omaha after Kemper Arena's roof collapsed, but they were playing a few games in St. Louis from time to time. They played 3 in 1978-79, and 3 in 1982-83 at the Checkerdome (or whatever they felt like calling it at the time).

Marc

I'm not sure they played any more/less games in Omaha after Kemper Arena's roof collapsed, but they were playing a few games in St. Louis from time to time. They played 3 in 1978-79, and 3 in 1982-83 at the Checkerdome (or whatever they felt like calling it at the time).

Marc

In all honesty I can't remember what the Kings did when the roof collapsed; I was too busy following U of L's first NCAA Championship that year. :D

According to both the history section on their site and on Tank's Sports E-cylopedia they stopped playing in Omaha after the 1977/78 season. The King's site doesn't address the roof collapse any more, but according to Tank's site the Kings played in "Memorial Auditorium" until Kemper was repaired. I guess the 3 or so games they played per year at the old Checkerdome didn't count as a "home arena".

Actually, the Hartford Whalers, when started in New England, were named the Whalers for 2 reasons. One was, of course, for the history of fishing, but the other was that being one of the teams in the World Hockey Association (WHA), they would be the WHA'lers.

According to both the history section on their site and on Tank's Sports E-cylopedia they stopped playing in Omaha after the 1977/78 season. The King's site doesn't address the roof collapse any more, but according to Tank's site the Kings played in "Memorial Auditorium" until Kemper was repaired. I guess the 3 or so games they played per year at the old Checkerdome didn't count as a "home arena".

Yeah, I knew they'd gone back to Municipal Auditorium (a beautiful venue, BTW), but didn't know if they'd gone back to Omaha for any games.

Of course, the NBA used to play a LOT of neutral/alternative site games (Wilt's 100 point game in Hershey as an example), as did the ABA. The more recent common ones were the Celtics games in Hartford and the Utah Jazz games in Vegas. The Houston Rockets were a regional team eraly in their existance, playing in San Antonio, Waco, El Paso, and Lubbock. The New Orleans Bucs played a lot of games in Monroe, LA and Jackson, MS, as well as some other places. The Tams played some games in Sikeston, MO of all places, but lord only knows what barn they were in (you know Yale? that's close to your neck of the woods). The Chaps were all over... Fort Worth, Lubbock, Denton... Then of course there were the intentionally regional ABA teams like the Floridians, Virginia, and Carolina.

I'll stop rambling now. If anyone wants to look this stuff up in more detail, there's some databases out there. I just find it interesting the NBA/ABA played regular season games in some of the towns they did.

Marc

What else would they have as a logo? A tree?

:P

I think I would prefer the Cardinals to be the color instead of the bird, in name and logo. Nothing against the bird but the NFL has Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks, etc., would be cool to have a team that was simply a color (I know, I know the Browns but we all know they are the Paul Browns and not the color brown).

Archived