Nicknames of Displaced Teams W/Less Importance

iowahoo

Let's see....

The Quebec Juniors (QMJHL) have a team called the PEI (Prince Edward Island) Rocket (that's singular, not plural). They were originally the Montreal Rocket and were named were Canadiens legend Maurice "Rocket" Richard.

The QMJHL also has the Gatineau Olympiques, which started as the Hull Olympiques in 1976 and were named for the '76 Montral Olympics. Hull is a suburb of Montreal while Gatineau is definately not.

The Baltimore Clippers of the old Eastern Hockey League had an arena fire midseason and finsished out the year as the Charlotte Clippers. They ended up staying permanently, but switched to the Checkers after a few seasons.

(Side note: Anyone know why landlocked Columbus has a team called the Clippers? Are they named for the "Yankee Clipper" DiMaggio?)

Another subcateogry is teams that saddle their minor affiliates with their inappropriate-for-the-location franchise name. Examples would be the Binghamton Senators, Binghamton Whalers, Binghamton Rangers, PEI Senators, Thunder Bay Senators, Plymouth (ONT) Whalers, Reading Phillies, Cape Breton Oilers, Capitol District (Albany) Islanders, and Colorado Rangers.

Capital District Islanders actually played across the river and north of Albany in Troy, on the campus of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone notice the grammatically incorect Toronto Maple Leafs. I know the plural of leaf is still "leaf". So why keep the name this way?

Apparently the team owner at the time of naming decided that "Leafs" just sounded better. Try it at home..."Toronto Maple Leafs"..."Toronto Maple Leaves".

Yeah...stick with Leafs.

Anyone notice the grammatically incorect Toronto Maple Leafs. I know the plural of leaf is still "leaf". So why keep the name this way?

Apparently the team owner at the time of naming decided that "Leafs" just sounded better. Try it at home..."Toronto Maple Leafs"..."Toronto Maple Leaves".

Yeah...stick with Leafs.

I always thought it was a plurally referencing a singular noun...it's a stretch...but think of Crow/Crows/Murder....the plural reference to a group of Crows should technically be a "murder"...but yet teams come out with "crows" as a nickname (ex. Adelaide Crows of Aussie Rules, not Adelaide Murder).

Same goes for Toronto...they arent referencing Leaves as a plural...they have "a leaf" as their emblem...not several...to me "Leafs" isn't as grammatically incorrect as it first sounds for that reason.

Now that I read that...I'm way off...sorry...insignificant post.

:therock::wacko:

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Yes.

One Crow. Two crows. A group of crows is a murder. As is...

One Lion. Two Lions. A Pride of lions.

One deer. Two Deer. A herd of deer.

My point with the Leafs was that it should be "Leaves" but it sounds better as Leafs. However I would not say that the leafs are falling from the trees.

...but they are falling out of the playoffs

Yes.

One Crow. Two crows. A group of crows is a murder. As is...

One Lion. Two Lions. A Pride of lions.

One deer. Two Deer. A herd of deer.

My point with the Leafs was that it should be "Leaves" but it sounds better as Leafs. However I would not say that the leafs are falling from the trees.

...but they are falling out of the playoffs

Consult a dictionary. "Leafs" is acceptable. That settles things for me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

(Side note: Anyone know why landlocked Columbus has a team called the Clippers? Are they named for the "Yankee Clipper" DiMaggio?)

I wouldn't think that the Columbus Clippers were named in honor of Joe DiMaggio's nickname, as the franchise came into existance as a Pittsburgh Pirates farm team - not a Yankee affiliate.

The team was most likely dubbed the Clippers because:

1) The nickname was alliterative with the community name.

2) Given that the City of Columbus is named for the famous maritime explorer, the team name picks up on a nautical theme.

3) Given that the team's first parent club was the Pittsburgh Pirates, the team name picks up on a nautical theme.

Yeah...stick with Leafs.

I know you're new here (and :welcome: BTW), but the Maple Leafs/Maple Leaves thing has already been beaten to death dozens of times. Here's a recap so we don't have to do this again...

1. "Leafs" is an acceptable variation of the plural form of the word "leaf".

2. The team is named for Canada's national symbol, the Maple Leaf. Capital "M", capital "L". It is a proper noun, and the name of the symbol, and pluralizing a proper noun is usually done by just adding "s". If your last name was Berghoff, all the members of your family would be Berghoffs. And so on.

3. Conn Smythe may or may not have been a poor speller, he chose "Leafs", he's in the Hall of Fame, tradition is tradition. It's been "Leafs" since forever ('26, actually), it's going to stay "Leafs".

All better? :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

2. The team is named for Canada's national symbol, the Maple Leaf.  Capital "M", capital "L".  It is a proper noun, and the name of the symbol, and pluralizing a proper noun is usually done by just adding "s".  If your last name was Berghoff, all the members of your family would be Berghoffs.  And so on.

Better example (no offense, VD :P ) -- Ryan Leaf's family would be known as the Leafs, not the Leaves.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived