Browns Changes Confirmed

Elfman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Browns will have Gray Face masks and the stripes on the pants will go back to orange brown orange. they will also change the jersey stripes

eM

Ahh, the throwback craze continues..... :rolleyes:

The Browns uniform was already a "throwback". I guess they think with their "new" additions to the uni, that 1970's fashion is making a comeback. Those grey facemasks, orange/brown/orange stripes on the pants, the busy sleeve stripes and multicolored striped socks will really look "dy-no-myte!". Hopefully Otto Graham re-signs and doesn't sign with the Chicago Cardinals.

Say goodbye to the orange pants too (the only interesting part of their recent uniform; it made them unique in the NFL).

Sad thing is that you could really do something nice with brown/orange (think Virginia Tech) in a updated uniform. Ohh well......

Orange pants orange jerseys all gone.

the grey doesnt make or break the helmet.

what it would look like.

Slight problem with that "Authentic 1967 Helmet" (can't post the image, so use HatMan's link). I cannot say so with absolute certainty, but I am pretty damn sure those facemasks didn't exist in 1967. More than likely, a Browns player in 1967 had a single bar, double bar or a birdcage, but not that mask. Someone who knows such things (John in KY, for example) can confirm my suspicion, but I don't think they came around until at least the early to mid-70s.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I wrote (stole/paraphrased) a poem about this:

"Dark and lonely on a summer's night.

Kill the Gray Facemasks. Kill the Gray Facemasks.

Watchdog barking. Do he bite?

Slip in their window. Break their necks.

Then their house I start to wreck.

Got no reason. What the heck?

C-I-L the Gray Facemasks! "

-- apologies to Eddie Murphy.

I'm not as concerend about the gray facemask as I am a jersey with no TV numbers. That's going too retro if you ask me.

I believe the NFL requires TV numbers...I would assume - if this rumor is indeed true - that they would have to include them.

The 49ers got away without them on those 1994 unis because they were throwbacks.

I'm not as concerend about the gray facemask as I am a jersey with no TV numbers.  That's going too retro if you ask me.

I believe the NFL requires TV numbers...I would assume - if this rumor is indeed true - that they would have to include them.

The 49ers got away without them on those 1994 unis because they were throwbacks.

I just recall seeing a picture on here a few months ago of an 06 Browns jersey with no TV numbers and that had me concerend because if they're not going to use TV numbers, they might as well use no names and no facemasks because that is way too retro.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm not as concerend about the gray facemask as I am a jersey with no TV numbers.  That's going too retro if you ask me.

I just recall seeing a picture on here a few months ago of an 06 Browns jersey with no TV numbers and that had me concerend because if they're not going to use TV numbers, they might as well use no names and no facemasks because that is way too retro.

12er1.jpg

25mv.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I really dont think there will be that much of a difference...the reverting back to the orange/brown/orange pants striping is a change long over due and much needed.

I dont think there will be much of a change in anything else....I will miss the orange pants though...while I am a traditionalist for some reason I thought the brown jerseys and orange pants looked cool as an alternate uniform. The grey face masks WILL take some getting used to though.

I like the throwback brown jerseys, but they need TV numbers. Conversely, I love the current pants, and the orange pants, and the white facemask.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Two things - 1) I don't know if we can take much stock in the jersey not having TV numbers from that photo since it is just a prototype "06" jersey and not a real player's jersey.

2) It's interesting how the Browns still use that 80s and 90s, more rounded wordmark on the bumper decals of the helmet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

the grey doesnt make or break the helmet.

what it would look like.

Slight problem with that "Authentic 1967 Helmet" (can't post the image, so use HatMan's link). I cannot say so with absolute certainty, but I am pretty damn sure those facemasks didn't exist in 1967. More than likely, a Browns player in 1967 had a single bar, double bar or a birdcage, but not that mask. Someone who knows such things (John in KY, for example) can confirm my suspicion, but I don't think they came around until at least the early to mid-70s.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The helmet in the link is just a modern Riddell VSR-4 helmet with a modern grey facemask called a "Throwback". leopard88 is correct - a real 1967 Riddell helmet would be a suspension helmet with a 1-bar, 2-bar, or old-style cage like these from the Helmethut site:

miniSh710.jpg

miniSh740.jpg

Riddell sells at least two "throwback" lines - the modern VSR-4 helmet/metal OPO mask (like the one on the Browns' site) and a "real" RK suspension helmet with a 2-bar mask. I'm not sure, but Helmethut might make the RKs for Riddell.

You know, I enjoy this board as much as anyone else. But, for the life of me, I can hardly tell the difference between any of the Browns uniforms ever.

But if they're mildly changing their uniforms to something midly different, great. The move to older, nicer looks by the Jets, Colts, Browns and hopefully Bills certainly isn't bad for football. In ten years, those uniforms will make sense. Will the current Cardinals? I think the Bronocs already look outdated..

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But if they're mildly changing their uniforms to something midly different, great.  The move to older, nicer looks by the Jets, Colts, Browns and hopefully Bills certainly isn't bad for football.  In ten years, those uniforms will make sense.  Will the current Cardinals?  I think the Bronocs already look outdated..

Tell it Brother! These new "modern" nightmares are just going to end up being the parachute pants or polyester leisure suits of this era.

Let's take a trip in the way-back machine and see how this board would have looked in the '70's...

Half the people here would be talking about how great the Pirates look in their "modernized" all yellow uniforms.

Others would be saying that every team should add collars to their uniforms like the White Sox.

There would be a huge debate over which jersey the Padres should go with full time the yellow one or the brown one.

There would be a thread on how the Indians should add an all blue look to go with their all red look. Then an Orioles fan would chime in and ask why the Orioles don't do the same with black and orange.

Another thread would endlessly debate getting rid of button up baseball jerseys entirely. They are so '40's and '50s after all and the new pullovers just look better.

Others would wonder why all these football teams are going to day-glo colored face masks.

And so on...

I think the Browns will be just fine in their new old look uniforms and I promise you that the fans here will love them. We like tradition in these parts...so much so that it's almost a gimme that you'll see a leisure suit at a wedding. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Archived