Gretsky..innocent?

gashouser27

What saddens me about this whole situation is that Gretz lied to his fans. He was asked point blank if he knew his wife's involvment in the gambling ring and he said no, only to be caught on wire tap earlier in the month talking to Tocchet about how to get her out of trouble.

Wayne, you got caught. Man up and just tell us how it is because it's all going to come out in the end.

6uXNWAo.png

After reading the Toronto Star, Boston Globe, and footage on ESPN, I have to say someone needs to help the Gretzky's with their damge control. For that matter it might be best if everyone involved just kept their mouths shut.

''If I had made one bet, I would have quit the Coyotes," Gretzky told the East Valley Tribune of Mesa, Ariz. ''I would never embarrass the team or the organization. If I made one bet, I would have quit Team Canada. I would never embarrass them. There's nothing for me to hide from."

Jones, who has not been charged, released a statement last night, saying, ''At no time did I ever place a wager on my husband's behalf, period. Other than the occasional horse race, my husband does not bet on any sports."

As was already brought up in a previous thread, if Jones did all of this stuff without her husband's knowledge, then they really do have a big relationship problem. But I find it odd that even if Gretzky did not actually place any bets, that it would not have occoured to him that maybe something that could be viewed as illeagal could be going down.

Even if he personally placed no bets, others around him were, his wife, assistant coach, players, Coyotes GM Mike Barnett, ( who also happens to be Gretzky's former agent), all placed bets through Tocchet. Surely it dawned upon him it wouldn't be good for him if everyone around him were caught? I just find it very, VERY suspicious that quite litterally everyone else around Gretzky was involved but him.

As for Jones, it might be in her best interest to "fall on her sword". If the authorities can only pin blame upon her, she will be looked upon as a bad spouce, but Gretzky's career and legacy survive relativly unharmed. I really would like to think Gretzky had no involvment- but I have to be honest it's really looking bad right about now.

''My love for [Jones] is deeper than anything. The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved, and I'm not going to be involved. Am I concerned for both of them [Jones and Tocchet]? Sure, there's concern from me," Gretzky said Tuesday.

Rather an odd quote. If he wasn't involved in anything as he states, then I should think he's be several levels of pissed-off rather than "concerned". His wife piddles away half a million dollars of his money and puts his career in jeopardy, his assitant coach is being investigated as a gambling ringleader, and many players (and who knows who else) are being jammed under a media microscope. All of the attention originally focused on the NHL and the Olympics are being thrust upon this ugly episode. All I can say to Gretzky is that he had better pray he didn't have anything to do with this or I can promise him these quotes will be used in the media & public opinion as ammo. (just ask finger waving Rafael Palmeiro)

At this point even if he is innocent it's going to be tough for he to remove the seeds of doubt.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

What saddens me about this whole situation is that Gretz lied to his fans. He was asked point blank if he knew his wife's involvment in the gambling ring and he said no, only to be caught on wire tap earlier in the month talking to Tocchet about how to get her out of trouble.

Wayne, you got caught. Man up and just tell us how it is because it's all going to come out in the end.

He said it to thre press he was cuaght off guard that it came out and he looked like he didnt know what too sya. He should be judged on what he does the rest of the way not that first day.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What saddens me about this whole situation is that Gretz lied to his fans.  He was asked point blank if he knew his wife's involvment in the gambling ring and he said no, only to be caught on wire tap earlier in the month talking to Tocchet about how to get her out of trouble.

Wayne, you got caught.  Man up and just tell us how it is because it's all going to come out in the end.

He said it to thre press he was cuaght off guard that it came out and he looked like he didnt know what too sya. He should be judged on what he does the rest of the way not that first day.

He should be judged by the totailty of his reactions, including this first day. As should everyone involved. Oh, and don't forget 'innocent until proven guilty'

you hit it right on the nose DirtyCurty! take a bow (bow)

untitled-6.jpg

I believe Gretsky should be given the benefit of the doubt..right now it is all heresay.

But does anyone know a woman who would bet a half million bucks on the Super Bowl???

It is all kind of crazy.

Not only that, but nobody starts gambling by putting up half a million dollars. Most people start off small and work their way up to that kind of cash- over a period of time. By the time people start putting up ungodly ammounts of money for gambling, it's usually been a while of them already gambling. Now I grant you the Gretzkys' have alot more captiol they can afford to lose than most of us could. But nobody starts gambling for their first time at $500,000, either.

Let's assume for a moment that Gretzky had nothing to do with this gambling, then his wife has a very serious gambling problem, and his assistant coach, his GM (and former agent), and many other associate players were also in on it. It's hard to imagine that somebody in that circle didn't approach Gretzky and say, "Hey Wayne, you're wife has been dropping HUGE bets lately..." But if that is indeed the case, and nobody told Gretzky until it was far too late, then he is guilty of being an oblivious dope. My bank goes ape on me when I try to withdrawn $500 too fast, with the ammount of meny we're talking here, I'm shocked the bank did send Not just from his wife, but from everybody else involved. These are all people he sees and works with every day. Does it seem very likely that everyone else kept this gambling business away from Gretzky so he wouldn't find out?

While not impossible, it's very hard to accept that someone was not involved, when everybody else around him is.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Gretzky Cleared....

More details supporting Wayne Gretzky's contention that he had no prior knowledge of the alleged illegal gambling ring emerged Sunday.

According to a report from the Associated Press, a person with knowledge of the investigation confirmed that the wiretap conversation of Gretzky allegedly asking Rick Tocchet how his wife Janet Jones could avoid being named happened last Monday. That is the same day detectives showed up at Gretzky's home looking to speak to his wife.

It was a position reiterated by Gretzky's lawyer Ron Fujikawa today.

''Published reports that Wayne had spoken to Rick Tocchet about his concern for Janet prior to officers appearing at Wayne's house on Monday are completely ludicrous,'' said Gretzky's lawyer Ron Fujikawa. ''It's absolute balderdash.''

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154729&hubname=nhl

Archived