A toughie...

dirwuf

I posed this question in the Concepts forum, but figure I'd get a better answer here..

What team uniform, helmet or hat has ever sported wording other than the team's name or city? Obviously patches and manufacturer logos don't count.

The only one I can think of is the San Francisco Warriors "The City" jerseys.

p1623801reg.jpg

Do initials count? Wichita State's basketball unis of the late 70s-early 80s used to have MTXE (for "Mental Toughness Extra Effort") written on the shorts (and not in patch form).

You can see it here on the pants legs of the warmups (barely), but it was also written on the uniform shorts.

history_bookend.gif

And OK, this is not a jersey, helmet or hat, but I should get some credit now that I typed this much before noticing I was outside the category. :P

Does "'gate" on Colgate's football helmets count?

If so, then any "Mizzou" jerseys, etc. would count, as would "Ole Miss", since they are all nicknames for the school names.

Also, according to the Helmet Project, Navy wrote "Beat Army" on its helmets for some games in the early 60s (in Chinese characters on at least one occasion).

Helmet Project -- Navy

There's the V on the back of the Fresno State helmets.

And in the early 70s, Marquette University wore the Apollo 11 moonlanding patch on their warmups. Even retired the no. 11.

what is that "V" for and why is it green?

This came up in a thread a few months back. It stands for "Valley" (either San Joaquin Valley or Central Valley, I can't remember which) and is supposed to signify support for the Valley's agriculture industry (thus, presumably, the green).

It was quite common in the 1910s and 1920s for the World Series champion to wear jersey tops the following season with "Worlds Champions" on them.

Not a patch. Not a special jersey. But the only words were Worlds CHampions.

I know Cleveland did this and a few others the Cardinals I think?, but my Marc Okonnen book is packed away right now so I cannot list what teams did this.

Wording. I had to go back and re-read yoru question. I can't think of anything right this second that is wording, not the city or mascot.

And here I was, all set to bring up the Dallas Coyboys helmet logo not being a cowboy.

How about player numbers, like on Alabama's helmets?

I figure the "Goals for Kids" version of the Coyotes' alt logo counts, as in the Yotes' early days it was a permanent part of the uniform (it was also on the Jets' uniform for their last few years, but only on the right shoulder, and that looked more patchlike). The last few seasons the Coyotes wore tehir older unis, they apparently discontinued featuring "Goals for Kids" on the uniform, changing the right shoulder's moon logo to read "Phoenix Coyotes" like on the left.

Another one might be the old "Phila" jerseys.

Can't spell "Philadelphia" without P-H-I-L-A. It's a legitimate (though awful) abbreviation, and was used because it was easier to read, you could make the letters larger, and the overall cost and materials would be less.

Tangential question: does the "S" on Michigan State's old helmets stand for "State" or "Spartans"? (Or both?)

• LMU locked this topic

Archived