A toughie...

dirwuf

Club de Hockey Canadien...take that as you will. ;)

just thought of another one. Pacific Lutheran, IIRC on the front bumper of their helmets they put on an acronym, EMAL (Every Man a Lute)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Another one might be the old "Phila" jerseys.

Can't spell "Philadelphia" without P-H-I-L-A. It's a legitimate (though awful) abbreviation, and was used because it was easier to read, you could make the letters larger, and the overall cost and materials would be less.

Tangential question: does the "S" on Michigan State's old helmets stand for "State" or "Spartans"? (Or both?)

I'm guessing Spartans, just because it makes more sense for it to be there for Spartans rather than State.

patriksundstrom02.jpg

The "V" on this jersey, (Vancouver Canucks, 1978-85), was supposed to stand for "victory", not "Vancouver", or so I have read. That's what you get when you let psychologists design a hockey jersey.

Aw, man. And here all this time I thought it was a Roman 5.

:D

Another one might be the old "Phila" jerseys.

Can't spell "Philadelphia" without P-H-I-L-A. It's a legitimate (though awful) abbreviation, and was used because it was easier to read, you could make the letters larger, and the overall cost and materials would be less.

Tangential question: does the "S" on Michigan State's old helmets stand for "State" or "Spartans"? (Or both?)

I'm guessing Spartans, just because it makes more sense for it to be there for Spartans rather than State.

Michigan State likes "State" though. See: basketball team. I always thought the S stood for State. Every helmet in college football that has one letter has something to do with the school name, not the mascot. G for Georgia, P for Purdue, I for Indiana, T for Tennessee, etc etc etc.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived