Elway says no to Me-O

brinkeguthrie

While Mike Shanahan continues to entertain the thought of adding wide receiver Terrell Owens to the Denver offense, the greatest Bronco of them all has spoken out against T.O.

"I think there are a lot of things about T.O. that none of us really knows, but obviously he can ruin a football team," Hall of Famer quarterback John Elway told the Denver Post on Friday evening. "If it were up to me I would say no. I think the Broncos are close enough anyway, and they don't need a guy who's too much of a risk.

"The Broncos have a great locker room right now; they have a lot of good leaders in there. To have somebody come in who's worried about himself and not worried about what the team is worried about, I wouldn't do it."

Elway is the latest among former Broncos, including Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe, to voice their anti-T.O. sentiment.

Owens, who has disparaged his quarterbacks in San Francisco and Philadelphia, is expected to be released in March, when he's due a total of $7.5 million in bonuses.

Funny, cause I'm goign to listen to the guys whose opinions actually matter; ie. the guys who will have to play with him.

They want the most talented receiver int he game on their team, and I dont blame them.

I think Elway, Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe are entiled to their opinions, but they dont need to ahve a press conferwence to announce it. I assure you the coach and GM wont take it intot he least bit of consideration.

I hope when TO sets broncos receiving records each of the three of them will have a press conference to announce how wrong they were.

Exactly. Elway, TD and Sharpe are Broncos legends and all, but that doesn't know they have any clue what's best for the current Bronco team. Hell, Sharpe also criticized Shanahan for not getting rid of Jake Plummer the season before this most recent one. Last I checked, Jake had a pretty good year.

If the Offensive Linemen, the leaders of this Broncos team, come out and say that they want Terrell Owens, which they did despite being extremely soft-spoken, then Shanahan's going to look into getting him.

Funny, cause I'm goign to listen to the guys whose opinions actually matter; ie. the guys who will have to play with him.

They want the most talented receiver int he game on their team, and I dont blame them.

I think Elway, Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe are entiled to their opinions, but they dont need to ahve a press conferwence to announce it. I assure you the coach and GM wont take it intot he least bit of consideration.

I hope when TO sets broncos receiving records each of the three of them will have a press conference to announce how wrong they were.

the most talented receiver in the game?

PUH LEAZE.

He's a cancer and a clubhouse-killer. Ask the coaches in SF and Philly. Ask Garcia and McNabb.

He wanted sooooooo much to go to Philly. Then ka-boom.

He's a thug and a punk and will do the same thing whereever he goes.

Period.

You'd better hope they're single-game records, because he'll start pouting and mouthing off about Plummer the first game he doesn't get his 15 receptions, 2 TDs, and boatloads of media attention. Then he'll divide the team to the point where setting season records becomes unlikely. Then after 1 more fractious season (at most), he'll be out of Denver and on his way to blow up another franchise.

I'd love to say I was making it up, but since this script played out with his first 2 teams, why should I think Team #3 will be any different?

the most talented receiver in the game?

PUH LEAZE.

He's a cancer and a clubhouse-killer. Ask the coaches in SF and Philly. Ask Garcia and McNabb.

He wanted sooooooo much to go to Philly. Then ka-boom.

He's a thug and a punk and will do the same thing whereever he goes.

Period.

His behavior changes his talent.. how? Not at all, is how. Yes, he has exhibited bad personality and media-whoriness. He sure has. You got that much right.

But how does that change his talent for the game? How does that change an over 100 yard [er game average last year? How does that change over 100 TDs in ten years? How does that change mosing ONE fumble since 2000?

It doesn't. Most talented. Period.

If you dont like him, fine. If you dont think your team shoudl sign him, fine. Some people seem to think Shanahan can have him peacefully co-exist in the locker room.

I, for one, don't see the locker room. I see the games. In the games he performs and is exciting. Thats what I want to see.

The big differences are that Andy Reid and Mooch aren't the type that are going to be able to set a guy straight. Mike Shanahan isn't that type to where he'll take T.O.'s sh**. He had just as many problems with Daryl Gardner as he could ever have with T.O., what happened to him?

Second, Jake Plummer doesn't seem top care what anybody thinks about him. The whole city of Denver already threw him under the bus, and knowing T.O.'s track record, I'm sure he'll care even less what T.O. has to say.

Archived