Moore files suit against Bertuzzi

Nick 1733

Come on. Isn't enough, enough? Bertuzzi's done his time not playing in the 03/04 playoffs which he coulda helped the Canucks go far in the playoffs, then he missed the World Cup of hockey, he had his dignity and pride taken away, he's gone through months of trials and finally when he does nothing but play the game he loves, Moore dumps this on him? And he obviously did it to disrupt Bert at the Olympics....

Moore doesn't know how to forgive. Bert has apologized, sent letters to Moore, and Moore doesn't listen, didn't want to hear the speech, let it go, Bertuzzi did A REALLY STUPID THING and he knows it but it's in the past, and Moore shoulda just filed this lawsuit 3 months ago so Bert would have some of this done with so come Feb he could concentrate FULLY on helping team Canada win a gold medal.

Come on. Isn't enough, enough? Bertuzzi's done his time not playing in the 03/04 playoffs which he coulda helped the Canucks go far in the playoffs, then he missed the World Cup of hockey, he had his dignity and pride taken away, he's gone through months of trials and finally when he does nothing but play the game he loves, Moore dumps this on him? And he obviously did it to disrupt Bert at the Olympics....

Moore shows more each day that he is a punk who doesn't know how to forgive. Bert has apologized, sent letters to Moore, and Moore doesn't listen, didn't want to hear the speech, let it go, Bertuzzi did A REALLY STUPID THING and he knows it but it's in the past, and Moore shoulda just filed this lawsuit 3 months ago so Bert would have some of this done with so come Feb he could concentrate FULLY on helping team Canada win a gold medal.

My thoughts exactly. Moore needs to leave the past alone.

Moore shows more each day that he is a punk who doesn't know how to forgive. Bert has apologized, sent letters to Moore, and Moore doesn't listen, didn't want to hear the speech, let it go, Bertuzzi did A REALLY STUPID THING and he knows it but it's in the past, and Moore shoulda just filed this lawsuit 3 months ago so Bert would have some of this done with so come Feb he could concentrate FULLY on helping team Canada win a gold medal.

Hold the phone fellas...you're villifying the VICTIM?!?. The man is assaulted in a meaningless game, resulting is three vertbre broken, still sufferes from side effects of his concussion, and not only will never play hockey again, but likely not be able to do many other things most of us take for granted. Plus add to that that the man responsible for his condition received very little for a punishment and still gets to enjoy all the spoils of his sport...yeah I should think it's about time something was done about that too.

I'm so sick of alleged hockey fans shugging and saying "oh well, that's hockey". No it isn't. This wasn't a freak accident by a freak body check or an ill-placed fight for the puck- this was a cowardly sneak attack, with 3 seconds remaining in a game who's result was already well decided. This was a criminal act, and if it had happened in any other format- the ramifications would have been quite different.

He deliberated destroyed someone's carreer. What he did was not done in the spirit of the game, for the good of his team, or the heat of the moment- the was an attack plain and simple. And for that he should have been punished. It's kind of hard to forgive someone who really hasn't really been punished in the first place, shows no signs of any real remorse, and hasn't lost anything that hasn't already been restored.

Todd Beruzzi not only still gets to play hockey, still gets paid, but somehow is thought of as a decent representitive to be a part of Team Canada in the Olympics. Bertuzzi should not be allowed to play hockey, he should not be allowed to continue getting rich from hockey, and he sure as hell has no business being on the Olympic team. Shame on Hockey Canada and Wayne Gretzky for that. I find the move especially disgusting.

He should have been banned from the sport, fined up the ass, and spent some time in jail for what he did. But he didn't., Bertuzzi had his cases in Vancouver and Dever pushed away, plead guilty for the crime and received his "punishment" of probation and community service. The NHL, the players union, the teams, the courts of two countries, and hockey in general have all failed Moore. And while I questionthe timing of the case filing, I can't really find fault with the case itself.

I've heard other criminals claim that the results of their crimes were unintentional too...it did them little good. Why should it be any different for Bertuzzi? I say if he still gets to play in the NHL and his assault victim cannot, then yes I think he deserves to pay Moore for what he did- especially because nobody else has managed to make him yet.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Hold the phone fellas...you're villifying the VICTIM?!?. The man is assaulted in a meaningless game, resulting is three vertbre broken, still sufferes from side effects of his concussion, and not only will never play hockey again, but likely not be able to do many other things most of us take for granted. Plus add to that that the man responsible for his condition received very little for a punishment and still gets to enjoy all the spoils of his sport...yeah I should think it's about time something was done about that too.

I'm so sick of alleged hockey fans shugging and saying "oh well, that's hockey". No it isn't. This wasn't a freak accident by a freak body check or an ill-placed fight for the puck- this was a cowardly sneak attack, with 3 seconds remaining in a game who's result was already well decided. This was a criminal act, and if it had happened in any other format- the ramifications would have been quite different.

He deliberated destroyed someone's carreer. What he did was not done in the spirit of the game, for the good of his team, or the heat of the moment- the was an attack plain and simple. And for that he should have been punished. It's kind of hard to forgive someone who really hasn't really been punished in the first place, shows no signs of any real remorse, and hasn't lost anything that hasn't already been restored.

Todd Beruzzi not only still gets to play hockey, still gets paid, but somehow is thought of as a decent representitive to be a part of Team Canada in the Olympics. Bertuzzi should not be allowed to play hockey, he should not be allowed to continue getting rich from hockey, and he sure as hell has no business being on the Olympic team. Shame on Hockey Canada and Wayne Gretzky for that. I find the move especially disgusting.

He should have been banned from the sport, fined up the ass, and spent some time in jail for what he did. But he didn't., Bertuzzi had his cases in Vancouver and Dever pushed away, plead guilty for the crime and received his "punishment" of probation and community service. The NHL, the players union, the teams, the courts of two countries, and hockey in general have all failed Moore. And while I questionthe timing of the case filing, I can't really find fault with the case itself.

I've heard other criminals claim that the results of their crimes were unintentional too...it did them little good. Why should it be any different for Bertuzzi? I say if he still gets to play in the NHL and his assault victim cannot, then yes I think he deserves to pay Moore for what he did- especially because nobody else has managed to make him yet.

Colorado knew that Moore was a target in that game since he was the one that delivered the cheap shot on Naslund which sideline him. Cooke had already fought Moore in the game so Colorado got the idea we wanted a piece of him to get him back. They were already up 8-1 so I understand why they were rolling the bottom lines but they should've had some common sence to keep Moore on the becnch.

If you were drunk one night and was driving home and killed a person even though your whole life you were a great person who did nothing but fairly get through life you would be upset because you made one slip up that would obviously cause you jail time, and wouldn't you like to have a second chance.

Bertuzzi has learned his lesson and I know he won't do anything like this ever again, he knew he did wrong and he knew that he was going to pay for this in some way or another, but he is human, like all of us and he deserves a second chance.

Drunk drivers get second chances don't they? And they put way more than just one person in jeopardy. Drinking and driving is much more of a crime than what Bertuzzi did, still that doesn't excuse Bert, but I'm just putting his hit in perspective to actual crimes.

He deliberated destroyed someone's carreer.

That's bull :censored:

Was it a cheap shot? Yes. It was a mistake. Bertuzzi felt terrible about it, but he didin't intend to put the guy in the hospital or end his carrer. He took a cheap shot, yes. But he didn't mean to injure the man like he did. I feel bad for everyone involved, honestly. Bertuzzi is being villified for something he did not mean to do. He did not intend to injure Moore, he did not intend to injure his carrer. Yet he's made out to be a monster. Feel as bad as you want to about Moore, but you can't deny that Bertuzzi has been unfairly turn apart here.

Fact of the mater is that Todd Bertuzzi is by all accounts a kind person, and is a very talented hockey player. What more do you whant in an Olympic hockey player?

:censored: Bertuzzi... plain and simple. While I'm sure his premeditation wasn't to end anyone's career, his premeditation was to injure Moore, and those actions not only ended his career, but stunted his earning potential, and caused him pain I'm sure none of us even know about.

To blame Colorado for letting Moore do his job is rediculous, and any Canucks fan, despite their team allegiance, who puts blame on anyone other than Bertuzzi (and maybe Crawford) is classless in my book.... and probably stupid as well.

Canucks fan, despite their team allegiance, who puts blame on anyone other than Bertuzzi (and maybe Crawford) is classless in my book.... and probably stupid as well.

And any Avalanch fan who makes Bertuzzi out to be a monster when he clearly is not, despite team allegence, deserves the same lable as "classless and stupid."

Fact of the mater is that Todd Bertuzzi is by all accounts a kind person...

Kind people don't deliberately injure people.

It's hockey. The sport is one of the most phyisical in the world. Half the game is played scratching, checking, clawing in the corners. People get hurt playing hockey all the time. Sometimes, unfortuanatly, people are seriously injured. You take that risk any time you lace up a pair of skates. Was what Bertuzzi did a cheap shot? Yes. No one's arguing that. However it is extremely unfair to say Bertuzzi intended to put Moore in the hospital or he intended to end his carrer. Bertuzzi served his time, both his NHL and IIHF sentences. Given the fact that he didn't intend to put Moore in the hospital or end his carrer, I think that was enough.

It's all well and good when one gets injured in the course of normal play... like the hit on Naslund that started this.

But when a thug at the end of an 8-1 drudging, several weeks later goes out to take retribution on someone with his back turned, that's a different thing altogether. Not only is it cheap, it's criminal, as a court of law detirmined.

I'm sure Moore would be totally willing to live and let live, short of the fact that Bertuzzi's actions cost him millions of dollars in potential salary that he now can't earn. Bertuzzi's responsible for that, and it'll be a travesty if the judge doesn't agree.

And, I'm not labeling him as a monster. Do I think he's a creep the way he's handled the situation? Yeah, definitely. But my concern in the case isn't about how much I hate Bertuzzi (which is a lot by the way), but over the things that were unrightfully taken from Moore.

It is what it is, mother :censored:er.

I'm sure Moore would be totally willing to live and let live, short of the fact that Bertuzzi's actions cost him millions of dollars in potential salary that he now can't earn. Bertuzzi's responsible for that, and it'll be a travesty if the judge doesn't agree.

That's the key. Whatever the intent, he was messing with Moore's livelyhood. If this had happened on the Street, Bertuzzi may very well have gone to prison (though likely not on the first offense). There is a big difference between a flow-of-the-game hit and a cowardly, from behind, unwilling to go toe-to-toe, blindsiding cheap shot. Was Bertuzzi's intent to injure? I think it was. It was a spit-second thing that I am sure he would take back if he could, but for a brief moment, he did not give a damn what happened to Moore. And a moment is all it takes.

After that incident, I think it is comical that even the most Vancouver-partisan fan could say that Moore is the punk. How much money has this cost Bertuzzi? 17 games worth plus playoffs. How much can it cost Moore?

So don't tell me about the World Championships and other tournaments that most people remember nothing about--this happened in the NHL and the NHL are the only ones that can punish him in his bank account--save for a lawsuit. I hope Moore gets a bunch.

And I am not an Avs fan. In fact, I'd prefer Vancouver if you made me choose one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

PLEASE tell me this is really good sarcasm, right?

Please?

He attacked a man in a pre-meditated fashion and took away his ability to earn a paycheck.

Of COURSE he's going to get sued. Duh.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Seriously, how can people defend Bertuzzi here? The guy's gotten off easy. If the NHL had a real comissioner, Bertuzzi wouldn't touch NHL ice ever again. Whether he 'intended' to end Moore's career or put Moore in the hospital, it doesn't matter. He cheap shotted Moore, outside of the flow of the game (unlike Moore's hit, which was ruled a legal hit) -- that's assault. He missed what... 17 games? Please. The NHL didn't punish him worth :censored:. Like Avenger said, those 17 games and that one year of International play he missed is nothing compared to the money that Moore has lost out on or the time he's had to spend just to be able to play again.

As for whether or not he should've been on the ice -- that's ridiculous. If you'll remember, the Canucks had already taken their shot at revenge on Moore when Brad May and he fought (which Moore won, by the way). Besides, the hit on Naslund occured in Denver on 2/16. The assault on Moore occured in Vancouver on 3/08. Five days earlier on 3/03, they played in Denver and there was no attempt at retaliation on Moore. Not only were they big enough cowards to cheap shot him from behind, but they didn't even have the balls to retaliate in Denver.

IUe6Hvh.png

Isn't the timing rich, though?

Right on the first day of Bertuzzi's appearance on the Olympic ice surface. It smacks of trying to make a spectacle of the case, and that just doesn't sit well with me, no matter what's transpired to this point.

Now... let's get one thing straight here. Moore's hit on Naslund was anything but a normal hockey hit. Naslund was already going down, and Moore hit him with his elbow, jeopardizing Naslund's career. It was ruled leniently as "legal," and so the fact that Bertuzzi was ruled leniently should not come altogether as a surprise.

Bertuzzi punched Moore in the back of the head, which was a sucker shot for which he should have been punished. But you can't say how much damage Moore's own teammates did to him piling on in the ensuing scrum.

And to those that say that hockey shouldn't be exempt from the law of the land, let's first establish that the level of contact in the sport already negates any argument, and while I do not disagree that certain things should not be exempt from prosecution (eg. intentionally slashing the face like that minor leaguer), I have a hard time believing a sucker punch (which happens on a nightly basis in the NHL) qualifies.

Now, I know it sounds like I'm very pro-Bertuzzi, and perhaps I do lean that direction slightly, but I am not about to say that justice has totally been served. I don't think this is an open-and-shut case, and I'm certainly open to seeing how a judge would rule in a civil suit (although, like I said, the timing seems to be a little too cute).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Bertuzzi punched Moore in the back of the head, which was a sucker shot for which he should have been punished. But you can't say how much damage Moore's own teammates did to him piling on in the ensuing scrum.

Looking at the video, it looks to me like Moore may have been knocked unconcious from the original punch as Moore's head went straight down and he never made an attempt to put his arms forward to brace his fall. Moore's head then went straight into the ice at a downwards angle. In terms of the scrum that followed, one Avalanche player piled on after Bertuzzi, after Moore was apparently knocked out and had his head driven into the ice -- even he didn't 'pile on' and put his weight on the two as he pulling Bertuzzi off while he had one knee and one skate on the ice, which held almost all of his weight. All of the players jumping onto the pile after that were Canucks.

As for the hit on Naslund, it was unavoidable. They were both going towards the puck (there's one difference), and Moore went for the hit. He lowered his shoulder for the hit just as Naslund went to lunge forward to poke the puck forward. It was Naslund's lunging that sent him into the elbow of Moore. Moore couldn't pull up, it'd have been impossible.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yes sometimes you deserve a second chance. I don't think drunk driving is one of them because its got to be the dumbest damn thing you can do, but yes, there are many times you should be given a second chance.

BUT, if you choose to do something (drun

**Post and a Half**

If you were drunk one night and was driving home and killed a person even though your whole life you were a great person who did nothing but fairly get through life you would be upset because you made one slip up that would obviously cause you jail time, and wouldn't you like to have a second chance.

Bertuzzi has learned his lesson and I know he won't do anything like this ever again, he knew he did wrong and he knew that he was going to pay for this in some way or another, but he is human, like all of us and he deserves a second chance.

Drunk drivers get second chances don't they? And they put way more than just one person in jeopardy. Drinking and driving is much more of a crime than what Bertuzzi did, still that doesn't excuse Bert, but I'm just putting his hit in perspective to actual crimes.

Yes sometimes you deserve a second chance. I don't think drunk driving is one of them because its got to be the dumbest damn thing you can do, but yes, there are many times you should be given a second chance.

BUT, if you choose to do something (drunk drive, hit someone pointlessly) then you should pay the price. Career ending injury at the hands of someone's deliberte action= 17 games? That's justice? Get real. You kill someone driving drunk you should be in jail a LONG time and be paying some money to that other family. After that I'll give you a second chance. And that's frequently what happens.

The dude's got a second chance anyway. he's a flippin' olympian. What more does he deserve? What about Moore not playing hockey ever again? Where are his rights?

You're right, he shouldn't get any compensation from him ever. I mean, his deliberate action cost Moore millions of dollars. Seems fair to me.

Definetly

Bertuzzi's first punch may have knocked Moore unconcious, but the actual damage could have been done when the 2 or 3 teammates of Moores jumped on Bertuzzi and the first thing to hit the ice was Moore's head. Definetly some sort of injury happened there.

Definetly

Bertuzzi's first punch may have knocked Moore unconcious, but the actual damage could have been done when the 2 or 3 teammates of Moores jumped on Bertuzzi and the first thing to hit the ice was Moore's head. Definetly some sort of injury happened there.

Bertuzzi drove Moore's head into the ice before anyone piled on top of them.

Archived