What teams have alternate/third jerseys

tohasbo

Can anyone else think of a school where the basketball team wears one color and the football team another? Thinking about it, it's kind of weird that Syracuse is the way it is.

Not to go really off topic, but what about UCLA? Do the blues/yellows even match on football vs basketball? I think football is powder blue/gold while basketball is royal blue/yellow.

And could you add UCLA basketball to the list? Don't they have a few jerseys?

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that Syracuse doesn't wear a blue basketball jersey. The football team has occasionally worn orange; why not the basketball team blue?

Can anyone else think of a school where the basketball team wears one color and the football team another? Thinking about it, it's kind of weird that Syracuse is the way it is.

heh, Oklahoma State, for one (the football team wears mainly orange, basketball wears mainly black). You used to be able to say Miami (football-primarily orange, basketball-mainly green), but Canes football wears the greens about as much as they wear orange nowadays. Then, Illinois...football traditionally wears navy jerseys, while basketball prefers orange. I'm sure there's more.

Oregon (green, yellow, white) got mentioned awhile back. Oregon State has gone with orange, black, and white for several years.

I wanted to list this comment under Discrimihater's, because of the reference to OK State. It's funny that two of the three OSU's, Oklahoma's and Oregon's, have the same colors. For a long time, however, Oregon State had the reverse color situation. When the basketball team was ranked in the top 5, under Ralph Miller in the early '80s, they wore orange, while the football team wore black.

heh, don't get me started on Oregon...I'm one of the few that loves the diamondplate jerseys, but I have absolutely no idea if the football team even really HAS a main home jersey right now :D

heh, if this was 96, I coulda said Northwestern (football was in its Barnett-induced black phase, basketball still mainly wore purple).

shoot, bump it up to around 99 or so and change the other sport from hoops to volleyball, I coulda said Wisconsin...the Badgers are known for wearing red, but I recall one year (the last year UW teams wore Reebok before switching to Adidas) the volleyball team wore black road jerseys instead of red. so sue me, I like watching volleyball every now and then.

just thought of one...anybody know whether UCF hoops wears black or gold roads? cus UCF football wears gold homes, they'd be another one if the basketball team stuck with mainly wearing black.

UCF wears both white and gold at home (we tend to wear white more than gold though).

What's up.

I am trying to find out all of the teams that have an alternate in college basketball.

Here is what i know of so far...

Arizona

California

Miami

Duke

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan St.

Gonzaga

Maryland (has not been worn yet)

Virginia

Washington

If anyone has the full list or any others, add it to the list please.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Michigan State has worn an alt this year. The past few years they have had a light silver alt but I don't recall seeing any silver this year. There was some talk of MSU going with a throwback for the Mateen Cleaves' jersey retirement but they didn't do that either.

I think that list is from 2005/2006 - the original post was on Feb. 16, 2006. I thought Michigan State did wear the silver at least once last season. Of course, you're right that they haven't worn an alt this season. Someone resurrected this thread and added the 2006/2007 list to it.

How many teams have four jerseys? West Virginia and Oregon for sure, and I seem to remember Memphis wearing silver a couple years ago. Maybe I missed it, but no one has mentioned Gonzaga's reds yet. Also, if Notre Dame has worn gold this year, that makes 4 (white, gold, blue, black).

Not to go really off topic, but what about UCLA? Do the blues/yellows even match on football vs basketball? I think football is powder blue/gold while basketball is royal blue/yellow.

UCLA had a black uniform a few years ago (I want to say they wore it at Stanford around the time the Cardinal was No. 1 five or six years ago).

Edit: Here's the link to a story about a UCLA black uniform, and a second link to the uniform itself

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/14216/

http://dailycal.org/images/art/02.06.pac10.HAWKINS.jpg

UCLA had a black uniform a few years ago (I want to say they wore it at Stanford around the time the Cardinal was No. 1 five or six years ago).

Edit: Here's the link to a story about a UCLA black uniform, and a second link to the uniform itself

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/14216/

http://dailycal.org/images/art/02.06.pac10.HAWKINS.jpg

Looks mighty navy-blue to me.

hadn't thought of em, but mainly because both do wear mainly powder blue, basketball's blue just generally looks more like royal blue cus the material they use is more shiny, like dazzle mesh. so they sorta fall under that umbrella (especially with football using metallic gold vs. the yellow gold the majority of UCLA's other teams use...and the royal blue softball wears...and the mainly navy uniforms baseball wears (though IIRC baseball wears powder blue as well...et cetera.) heh, Oregon's a model of consistency in comparison.

heh, UCFGuy, I kinda had football homes + basketball roads in mind, but now I know, so gracias.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Ducks have four: White and yellow for home, green and black for away.

white:

KHJUWCJBHLJOSUK.20070225062316.jpg

green:

LSDFMYFIRCXGHLP.20070216045425.jpg

yellow (as worn by wee man, Tajuan Porter, who should break Kapono's Pac-10 frosh 3-point record tomorrow night):

PWZCZRAAIMTRVNQ.20070209042815.jpg

and the black (not quite sure what Bryce Taylor is doing here either):

AAIKYEMLXTQGOQW.20070202060328.jpg

....not a big fan of the black at all. but I'm not a fan of having an alternate 'just' for home use either - I don't like using yellow (or UW's gold) as an away alternate because (ESPECIALLY for the dirty Dawgs) it's super, super light on TV.

I don't mind the style, but wish we still had last years'.

harperdc.gif

Archived