No More World Cup

Mr. no funny nickname

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?id=155254&hubname=nhl

I for one am happy about this. The Canada Cup was created because the best players couldn't play in the Olympics. With NHLers now playing in the Olympics, the World Cup seems obsolete.

I'd much rather have the World Cup over the Olympics. For no other reason than the World Cup takes place in the offseason and doesn't disrupt scheduling during the year.

Well its one or the othe rin my book and I think the Olympics gets hockey more attention even though it does disrupt the season and thats something the sport needs.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The World Cup/Canada Cup served its purpose, but with nearly 20 years of participation from former-Eastern Bloc nationals in the NHL and the allowance of pros into the Olympic competition, I'd say that one top-tier global tournament every four years is good enough. I'm not dismissing the notion of international tournaments in general, but there has to be one clear cut marquee event to top all others and it should be the Olympics.

The World Cup/Canada Cup served its purpose, but with nearly 20 years of participation from former-Eastern Bloc nationals in the NHL and the allowance of pros into the Olympic competition, I'd say that one top-tier global tournament every four years is good enough. I'm not dismissing the notion of international tournaments in general, but there has to be one clear cut marquee event to top all others and it should be the Olympics.

Should they do away with the FIFA World Cup then, too?

soccer at the Olympics is with the U20 squad or something like that, not national teams.

U23 squads with 3 "veterans" allowed.

FIFA and the IOC agreed to this only after the IOC threatened to drop soccer from the Summer Games program.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

The World Cup/Canada Cup served its purpose, but with nearly 20 years of participation from former-Eastern Bloc nationals in the NHL and the allowance of pros into the Olympic competition, I'd say that one top-tier global tournament every four years is good enough.  I'm not dismissing the notion of international tournaments in general, but there has to be one clear cut marquee event to top all others and it should be the Olympics.

Yes, absolutely. It's very unpopular and nobody watches it. :P

But seriously, we're talking apples and oranges here. The World Cup is without question the undisputed crown jewel of all soccer tournaments. Prior to the Olympics, the WC was the only means by which all of the world's elite players (who do not play against each other in a singular elite league) can play in the same competition. The Olympic soccer tournament is a third or fourth tier competition in the soccer world and has never billed itself as anything but.

For hockey it's much different. There is one singular elite professional league - the NHL and since the fall of the Soviet sphere, all of the world's elite players have the ability to play there. Accordingly, there's no real need to have more than one elite international tournament and ever since Nagano, that's been the Olympics. Problem is that the Hockey World Cup attempted to bill itself as just as elite a tourney as the Olympics. That's a bit much. These guys play against and amongst each other every winter in the NHL. Dividing them up by nation and playing off every four years in a singular, elite, global competition is enough. If they Olympic competition was still an amateurs-only affair (insert CCCP sarcastic reference here), or was an age-restricted event, then I could see the need for a World Cup, but not any longer.

The World Cup/Canada Cup served its purpose, but with nearly 20 years of participation from former-Eastern Bloc nationals in the NHL and the allowance of pros into the Olympic competition, I'd say that one top-tier global tournament every four years is good enough.  I'm not dismissing the notion of international tournaments in general, but there has to be one clear cut marquee event to top all others and it should be the Olympics.

But seriously, we're talking apples and oranges here. The World Cup is without question the undisputed crown jewel of all soccer tournaments. Prior to the Olympics, the WC was the only means by which all of the world's elite players (who do not play against each other in a singular elite league) can play in the same competition. The Olympic soccer tournament is a third or fourth tier competition in the soccer world and has never billed itself as anything but.

Too true. Which is why, and this is kind of what I was going for, one way or another, maybe Football should be dropped in the Olympics?

As far as having amateurs in the Olympic hockey tourney again, I would much rather watch the WJC. ^_^

soccer at the Olympics is with the U20 squad or something like that, not national teams.

U23 squads with 3 "veterans" allowed.

FIFA and the IOC agreed to this only after the IOC threatened to drop soccer from the Summer Games program.

And also because FIFA wanted to make it clear that the World Cup is THE premier event.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i much rather have the allstar game and the occasional world cup. At least players would have time to rest up before competition and not worry about jet lag heading in to a critical part of the schedule. unless of course your rick dipietro who suffers from chronic jetlag.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

At least NHL players don't chicken out like NBA players in 2004 at the olympics and drop out.

Mike Bibby is my favorite basketball player and all, but c'mon I will admit that was being a chicken

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

WJs in the Olympics would be amazing. Think of it. The same drama and excitment that gets me giddy during Christmas, only a higher level cause every country would give a damn.

Seriously, nationally no one gives a damn about the WJCs except for Canada and select European countries. That's why the IIHF said they'd hold the tournament in Canada every 3 years.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

WJs in the Olympics would be amazing. Think of it. The same drama and excitment that gets me giddy during Christmas, only a higher level cause every country would give a damn.

Seriously, nationally no one gives a damn about the WJCs except for Canada and select European countries. That's why the IIHF said they'd hold the tournament in Canada every 3 years.

Then I would probably stop watching Olympic hockey.

Well, not completely, but it definately wouldn't get me as excited as it does now. I want to see the best of the best not some kids that are less entertaining than minor league hockey.

Too true. Which is why, and this is kind of what I was going for, one way or another, maybe Football should be dropped in the Olympics?

As far as having amateurs in the Olympic hockey tourney again, I would much rather watch the WJC. ^_^

That's not a bad idea at all, actually.

If the Olympics limited participation for ice hockey the way they did for soccer (along age criteria), the World Cup could be salvaged. So long as the competition is comparable on all sides, I'd still watch Olympic hockey. I've watched Olympic men's soccer and remember Olympic hoops before '92 without feeling cheated, knowing that the pros play in the World Cup. I could get into world-class junior games with national pride on the line, and then have the World Cup to watch in the summer with the pros.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived