Bryant Gumbel's Comments

NJTank

First off, I love how the "he's entitled to his opinion" defense so many of you use in the political posts is strangely absent in this thread. Where are all the usual "just because you don't agree doesn't mean he shouldn't say it" replies in Bryant Gumbel's defense? Seems like we're experiencing a little hypocrisy around here if you ask me.

Second, the old "what if it were reversed" play is as old as it is weak. Like it or not kids, whites have to be more careful in how they approach racial issues. Yeah it's unfair blah blah blah... but look at it from this perspective. How many of us who are white have ever been a victim of racism? How many of us have ancestors who were enslaved not even 200 years ago? Sure the "reverse racism" point is a valid one in a perfect world but face the reality folks. This is no perfect world. How many of us white folks have to sweat driving in a nice neighborhood? How many of us get watched like a hawk in a jewelry store? How many of us ever wonder if our race cost us an apartment, or a job, or a loan? Spare me the "reversal" argument. You're comparing apples to oranges when you compare the black perspective to the white one. There is nothing about the two perspectives from a racial point of view that is even remotely similar.

Bryant Gumbel said stuff that Bob Costas would never get away with. That's true but I think white people as a race will survive it. As for Gumbel's comments and the furor that so far hasn't followed? It's much ado about nothing. I for one have better things to worry about than what Bryant Gumbel says on a show that I can't watch.

Just my 2 cents. :D

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Science Channel (which my wife and I watch, along with the History Channel, much to the amazement of our 23-year-old son), when humans moved out of Africa and into northern and colder climates, the skin had to evolve into a lighter color for people to survive. Darker skin is less sensitive to extreme light, but the opposite is also true.

An example of this is also seen in Asia. Northern Asians are quite light-skinned while southern Asians are quite dark-skinned.

But the Winter Olympics has nothing to do with this. It's about winter sports, not skin color. Winter sports as seen in the Winter Olympics sprouted out of Europe and North America, but not the northern parts of Asia. Naturally, there were no winter sports coming out of places like Africa, the Middle East or Australia because you need snow and/or ice for winter sports, and those places don't have much snow or ice.

So Bryant Gumbell was a out of line for dwelling on skin color. And Tank, with all due respect, you may have also dwelled too much on skin color. The point, again, is the place of origin of those winter sports.

I think what tank was aiming at is the double standard in the media. A minority can make a so called "racially insensitive" comment and with no outcry but if a white person in particular someone from the conservative side of the isle made the same comment he gets torched. for example, Rush Limbaugh, who i am no big fan of but for the sake of the discussion, got torched and thrown off the air from ESPN for what people called, "a racially insensitive" comment. To me the comment is no big deal, I may not agree with it but he has the right to make a commentary, which is the same position i took with Rush.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I just was amazed at the audacity of Tank's comments

ARE YOU THE MOST THIN-SKINNED PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET

God, I knew what the guy meant. He didn't phrase it the way he probably meant to, but I understood what he was trying to say. I've noticed that everyone here is constantly racing to be the first one up in arms over some inconsequential comment.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

God, I knew what the guy meant. He didn't phrase it the way he probably meant to, but I understood what he was trying to say. I've noticed that everyone here is constantly racing to be the first one up in arms over some inconsequential comment.

AMEN!

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

How could you say something like that? :P

Looking back at it, I overreacted a little bit.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What Gumbel said was not only stupid, but just plain incorrect. These ARE the best athletes in the world...at their particular sports.

I agree that there is a double standard. Non-Whites are given much more of a pass when making "racially insensitive remarks" than our White brothers and sisters. I know that sucks for you, but you know what...

SHUT THE :censored: UP AND DEAL WITH IT! (Yes, that was meant to be yelled!)

I laugh when White people talk about double standards and how non-Whites get away with :censored: they can't. I know most of YOU don't want to hear it, but so what. When you get followed around a store, get harrassed on a regular basis by law enforcement officers, get denied housing, loans, and employment, and have other races feel that you only get a particular opportunity because of affirmative action (thereby implying that you are never as qualified) then come talk to me about how unfair :censored: is.

I'm tired of talking about race on this board. Most of the people here completely lose sense of reality and frankly manly have a flawed sense of reality in the first :censored:ing place. In other words, most of you don't know what the :censored: you're talking about.

Gumbel's an idiot, pure and simple. IMO, he SHOULD be fired for his comments because Rush and Jimmy the Greek were fired. It's time that sports journalists realize they are in fact sports journalists, not social commentators.

I will watch the Olympics, I will celebrate Shani Davis's win (eventhough it's a girl's name :P), and I will root like hell for all the WHITE skiers, skaters, hockey players, boarders, and sledders. Go USA!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I just *heard* his remarks for the first time on ESPNRadio, I had only seen snippets in print. He sounds smug and somewhat bitter. Which makes it all the more worse. His implication that a paucity (lack) of black athletes makes it so these aren't the world's greatest athletes almost mandates him being fired. This was planned commentary (meaning he was reading off a prompter) not Rush's off the top of his head, spontaneous remarks.

Besides, there are lots of Black people at the GOP convention. Someone has to clean up! (See, I can say that because I'm Black, if a White person says it, they'd be blasted.) :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Besides, there are lots of Black people at the GOP convention. Someone has to clean up! (See, I can say that because I'm Black, if a White person says it, they'd be blasted.) :P

Riddle me this then, Jigga... can my white self say it if I use your quote? Huh?

(Sorry, I'm with Yale... I felt the need for a humor infusion. Everybody's getting all frothy over the ill-advised comments of an ignoramus (Gumbel, not Tank... :P) who missed the point but got what he wanted - responses and histrionics from all segments of the population. Bryant Gumbel thinks he's relevant again instead of just being "Greg Gumbel's brother".)

A thought to leave this thread with: If a jacka$$ like Bryant Gumbel makes a stupid, incendiary comment to the world, and everyone refuses to placate him with righteous indignation and vitriol, he'll go away.

Smile, ever'body... :grin:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Besides, there are lots of Black people at the GOP convention.  Someone has to clean up! (See, I can say that because I'm Black, if a White person says it, they'd be blasted.) :P

Then there's this guy... The Black Jesse Helms.

He kinda reminds me of Dave Chappelle's "blind KKK member that doesn't know he's Black" skit. I really don't know why, he just does.

What Gumbel said was not only stupid, but just plain incorrect. These ARE the best athletes in the world...at their particular sports.

I agree that there is a double standard. Non-Whites are given much more of a pass when making "racially insensitive remarks" than our White brothers and sisters. I know that sucks for you, but you know what...

SHUT THE :censored: UP AND DEAL WITH IT! (Yes, that was meant to be yelled!)

I laugh when White people talk about double standards and how non-Whites get away with :censored: they can't. I know most of YOU don't want to hear it, but so what. When you get followed around a store, get harrassed on a regular basis by law enforcement officers, get denied housing, loans, and employment, and have other races feel that you only get a particular opportunity because of affirmative action (thereby implying that you are never as qualified) then come talk to me about how unfair :censored: is.

I'm tired of talking about race on this board. Most of the people here completely lose sense of reality and frankly manly have a flawed sense of reality in the first :censored:ing place. In other words, most of you don't know what the :censored: you're talking about.

Gumbel's an idiot, pure and simple. IMO, he SHOULD be fired for his comments because Rush and Jimmy the Greek were fired. It's time that sports journalists realize they are in fact sports journalists, not social commentators.

I will watch the Olympics, I will celebrate Shani Davis's win (eventhough it's a girl's name :P), and I will root like hell for all the WHITE skiers, skaters, hockey players, boarders, and sledders. Go USA!

As to be expected, a sensable and intelligent post on the subject by jigga.

Well done.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

As to be expected, a sensable and intelligent post on the subject by jigga.

Well done.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but since you have always been cool in my book, I'll assume that was sincere and say a humble "thank you." It means a lot coming from you!

Vernon Robinson looks like he would make a good Congressman, just like Lynn Swann will be a good Governor for PA.

In my "newbie" days, I would have responded with a vehement YOU MUST be kidding, but now I just hang my head shaking it from side to side knowing that you sincerely mean what you said.

However, it's a sign of great progress for Blacks in America when Conservatives will "endorse" a Black Republican candidate sight unseen and Black (Left-Leaning)Moderates will immediately be skeptical as all hell... :P

Only in America, baby.

Well we need as many Black Conservatives as we can get JC Watts, Lynn Swann, Condi Rice, always help.

I frimly belive conservatism works for all people and the more people we have spreading the message the better and to get some black people to spread the message and get more black people to become conservtive only makes us stronger.

I dont belive you have to be Liberal to be Black, I find it distusting when people from the NAACP and other groups call Watts, Swann and Rice and those like them Uncle Toms or Oreo Cookies, just becuase they dont agree with their politics.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived