GRADIENTS MADE VERY EASY!

Roger Clemente

A trick I discovered at work trying to make a desktop background for my computer even though I had no other graphics program besides MS Paint to work with and no way in hell I'd be allowed to put it on there...

1. On the Desktop, right-click and choose Properties.

2. Then choose Appearance, choose Windows Classic Style, then Apply.

3. Next, click Advanced.

3. Pick any of the three title bars.

4. Change Color 1 to the first color you want to use

5. Change Color 2 to the second color you want the first color to eventually grad into.

6. Once they are chosen, click OK, then OK on the Display Properties tab.

7. Open up and program where you can resize the window.

8. Resize the window till the title bar is the length of the section you want to have the gradient cover.

9. Press Print Screen (or if that doesn't work, Ctrl + Print Screen.)

10. Paste it in MS Paint or some other program.

11. Take the very top pixel of the title bar and stretch it vertically.

12. Shape and form the end result however you want.

Enjoy. This probably works with other versions of Windows that have the ability to alter the windows color properties. I have no way of verifying it though.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Now to recreate the Tampa Bay Devil Rays logo!!!

Happy now?! What hast thou wrought upon us, Roger? Easy gradients are like Pandora's Box - once it's opened, there's no recontaining the madness.

:P

To clarify upon step #8...

Say the area the gradient has to cover is very wide, like half the width of the screen. Just take any window that can be resized (any internet browser can do it) and stretch it out so the actual title bar, or at least the gradient section in the title bar, is the size you need. If the gradient you need only covers a small area of space, just shrink the window down till the title bar is the equivalent size.

Say the area the gradient has to cover is very wide, like half the width of the screen. Just take any window that can be resized (any internet browser can do it) and stretch it out so the actual title bar, or at least the gradient section in the title bar, is the size you need. If the gradient you need only covers a small area of space, just shrink the window down till the title bar is the equivalent size.

how do you get the title bar to stretch as well as the window??

Say the area the gradient has to cover is very wide, like half the width of the screen.  Just take any window that can be resized (any internet browser can do it) and stretch it out so the actual title bar, or at least the gradient section in the title bar, is the size you need.  If the gradient you need only covers a small area of space, just shrink the window down till the title bar is the equivalent size.

If you stretch the window horizontally, the title bar should stretch with it. The title bar occupies the top 25 pixels or so of every window. If the title bar doesn't stretch with the window, I have no idea what's wrong.

Also $300 is still a good chunk to just freely spend on software, even if it is worth it, and would actually be a pretty huge waste if they only thing you would use it for is gradients. My little guide here is for people who just want to make gradients and don't have a program that specializes in them or the cash to spend on it.

Never mind that you still have to wait between 1-7 days for it to be delivered or to find it in stores and then have to install it...

Never mind that you still have to wait between 1-7 days for it to be delivered or to find it in stores and then have to install it...

Minutes to buy it in stores - 30.

Minutes to install it - 10.

Millions of fun hours spent making fake nudes of Condoleeza Rice - Priceless.

Still need money...

And my method costs nothing to anyone who already has a computer (with XP at least.)

Still need money...

And my method costs nothing to anyone who already has a computer (with XP at least.)

Beg mommy and daddy.

Well, if you can come up with another way to make gradients that is easier and does not require any other software that doesn't come pre-installed with an operating system, I'd like to hear it.

Otherwise, if you do not appreciate my free advice, you are more than welcome to ignore it.

Still need money...

Beg mommy and daddy.

well when you're 18+ and living on your own it's very difficult to beg from your parents

Say the area the gradient has to cover is very wide, like half the width of the screen.  Just take any window that can be resized (any internet browser can do it) and stretch it out so the actual title bar, or at least the gradient section in the title bar, is the size you need.  If the gradient you need only covers a small area of space, just shrink the window down till the title bar is the equivalent size.

If you stretch the window horizontally, the title bar should stretch with it. The title bar occupies the top 25 pixels or so of every window. If the title bar doesn't stretch with the window, I have no idea what's wrong.

Also $300 is still a good chunk to just freely spend on software, even if it is worth it, and would actually be a pretty huge waste if they only thing you would use it for is gradients. My little guide here is for people who just want to make gradients and don't have a program that specializes in them or the cash to spend on it.

i was just giving myself a hard time, i knew that, thanks. lewj

Archived