Look What # Jose Lima's Wearing...

njmeadowlanders

....and today this photo of him surfaced:

6c50625a-7e6d-44e4-b020-65fae50a4e05.jpgWith the caption

New York Mets pitcher Jose Lima, of the Dominican Republic, wears number 99 as he bunts during baseball spring training in Port St. Lucie Fla., Sunday Feb. 19, 2006. Lima, who previously wore Jackie Robinson's number 42, had to change as Robinson's number has been retired from all baseball. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
So much for that...

I don't think that is Lima. Note the moustache

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers, either. But Jackie Robinson deserved something. One could argue that the abuse he took during his career in the majors shortened his career.

Anyway, I think it's a lot of noise over nothing. It's Spring Training. Numbers are in short supply, especially for teams that invite a lot of non-roster players to camp. Gotta put some kind of digit on their back.

Let's wait until opening day to see what number he dresses in.

None of this is as bad as the Miami Heat having two retired numbers. #23 for Michael Jordan (who never played in Miami) and #13 for Dan Marino (who didn't play basketball).

i dont have a prob with the 13 for marino---he was a civic treasure for their sports community. but..jordan? huh?

It would be like the Warriors here retiring #16 (Joe) or #24 or #25 (Mays, Bonds.) Nice touch I think.

Dumber than the Indians retiring #455.

No. 455? Who's that in honor of??

Thats how many sold out games in a row the Indians had at The Jake.

THAT is unnecessary.

It bothers me that teams retire numbers for "The Fans". Every team that has ever taken the field, court or ice in any sport could have a number retired for "The Fans". Its uncalled for.

I also don't agree with retiring a number across all the teams. Because if you do it for one, everybody with a cause will want a number retired too. If you do it for one, how can you turn others down without being hypocritical?

But wait, we are talking about a league with Bug Selig at the helm.

I think they should retire ALL numbers in baseball and just go to Roman numerals...

or maybe just have the jerseys with algebra equations with the answer being the player's number...that way little kids can watch baseball AND learn!

now batting.....playing right field...9 + 1/4 - (8 x 3/5) = y

:P

....and today this photo of him surfaced:

6c50625a-7e6d-44e4-b020-65fae50a4e05.jpgWith the caption

New York Mets pitcher Jose Lima, of the Dominican Republic, wears number 99 as he bunts during baseball spring training in Port St. Lucie Fla., Sunday Feb. 19, 2006. Lima, who previously wore Jackie Robinson's number 42, had to change as Robinson's number has been retired from all baseball. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
So much for that...

A bit off-topic, but it looks like he's wearing one of the "vented" batting helmets from last year's All-Star Game. Have those become standard equipment now?

Well, if you look at the caption now on Yahoo, it says:

New York Mets pitcher Jose Lima, of the Dominican Republic, wears number 99 as he bunts during baseball spring training in Port St. Lucie Fla., Sunday Feb. 19, 2006. Limam, who previously wore Jackie Robinson's number 46, had to change as Robinson's number has been retired from all baseball. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Nice job by Yahoo. :D

I'm also against leaguewide 42 retirement, but the Mets are one of the two teams that should be retiring it. Dodgers, and New York (NL) in its new form. So yeah bad move Mets.

Well Mooo Vaughn wore 42 from 2002-2003 with the Mets

True, but Mo Vaughn ALWAYS wore 42. He did so with Boston and Anaheim before NY. The rule stated you could keep the number if you had it before the retirement but it wouldn't be issued again.

Please don't remind me of Mo Vaughn in Anaheim.

I don't like that they retire numbers throughout a league. A lot of players wear numbers because of players of the past, so to deny them the right to use their number could affect the player. Superstition is huge n sports, and to not have your number can actually be a big deal. Then again, in the NHL, there'd be about 1,000 99's if everybody wore the number of their childhood hero.

Also, about the BIlly Joel banner at the Wachovia Center...isn't there a Bruce Springsteen one as well?

None of this is as bad as the Miami Heat having two retired numbers.Β  #23 for Michael Jordan (who never played in Miami) and #13 for Dan Marino (who didn't play basketball).

or as bad as the Canadiens hanging an Expos banner in thier arena

Hey, they took Youppi, so they need to acknowledge the Expos! :rolleyes:

As a Royals fan - about time we got rid of him - he "inhales quickly", he's terrible!

Why the organization wasted time and money on this loser - may he get gohnorreah, rot and die in H*LL. Jose Lima is a jerk and a lousy baseball player.

Retire #42 - no, retire Jose, permenately!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.pngΒ My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021Β  Β  Β  Β  Β St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)Β Β 2023 ChampionsΒ  Β  Β Kansas City Cattle (CL)

IIRC, Lenny Webster of the Orioles also wore #42 after it was retired via the grandfather clause.

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

Just to clear up some stuff on Lima.

1) The Mets petitioned MLB to allow Lima to wear 42 since he wore it in Houston, before baseball retired Jackie's number league wide.

2) Baseball turned down the Mets because he didn't wear 42 with Royals last season, and that ended his eligibility for the dispensation.

So Lima will wear 99 this year. The funny thing is MLB said Lima will be allowed to "keep" the 42 jersey. What, were the retired number police going to lock him up if he refused to give it up? :blink:

THAT is unnecessary.

There's a banner at the Wachovia Center for the number of sold-out shows Billy Joel has played there (the most of any city).

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Nassau Coliseum?

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

THAT is unnecessary.

There's a banner at the Wachovia Center for the number of sold-out shows Billy Joel has played there (the most of any city).

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Nassau Coliseum?

The Wachovia Center has banners for Billy Joel AND Bruce Springsteen.

Archived