Look What # Jose Lima's Wearing...

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can totally understand the importance of what Jackie Robinson did for the game of baseball, but to see Robinson's #42 retired by teams he never played for or teams that didn't even exist when he played like Colorado and Tampa Bay seems like a bit much.

One need only look at a team photo of Colorado or Tampa Bay to see what impact Jackie Robinson had on those clubs.

I don't like retiring a number league-wide either, but this one I support. This one was earned.

Great point. I think it makes this debate pretty stupid.

None of this is as bad as the Miami Heat having two retired numbers.  #23 for Michael Jordan (who never played in Miami) and #13 for Dan Marino (who didn't play basketball).

i dont have a prob with the 13 for marino---he was a civic treasure for their sports community. but..jordan? huh?

It would be like the Warriors here retiring #16 (Joe) or #24 or #25 (Mays, Bonds.) Nice touch I think.

I don't like it for "other sports."

But then again, used to hope the Minnesota Wild would retire #7 for Neal Broten--same sport, different franchise. His best years were with the North Stars, he played College and High School hockey in the state and is a key figure in Minnesota hockey. I thought it would have made sense. It's better than them retiring #1 for the fans (LAME. Plus I long for the day when more goalies wore #1).

PS: Kudos to Dallas for retiring his number. He did not play that many years there--and not his best year. They did that because of his play for the francise, not Dallas. I am glad of that--I think they also have the old North Stars #s retired: (#8 for Goldsworthy and #19 for Masterton).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

....and today this photo of him surfaced:

6c50625a-7e6d-44e4-b020-65fae50a4e05.jpgWith the caption

New York Mets pitcher Jose Lima, of the Dominican Republic, wears number 99 as he bunts during baseball spring training in Port St. Lucie Fla., Sunday Feb. 19, 2006. Lima, who previously wore Jackie Robinson's number 42, had to change as Robinson's number has been retired from all baseball. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
So much for that...

A bit off-topic, but it looks like he's wearing one of the "vented" batting helmets from last year's All-Star Game. Have those become standard equipment now?

I think those are just reflections. Looks like a regular helmet to me, anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind. I looked closer, I now see the "vents", and now I am correcting myself.....as well as shamefully hanging myself. :upside:

Archived